Ignorance IS bliss... Arizona to Ohio on a freshly minted endorsement

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RayT, Apr 11, 2019.

1. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019-04-01; South Lake Tahoe, CA

I'm not sure what it is about me, my constitution, that I get my biggest kicks from stretching my comfort zone. I always baby step my way to where I'm going, but this one feels like a pretty big one.

I just took my basic rider safety course and got my encorsement, for the first time ever, back in Chattanooga, Tennessee, a little over 5 months ago. I 'd been riding my girl Vivie, a Yamaha Virago 250 pretty much every day through October and November and into December.

I'd taken my 1st big overnight trip, a whopping 320 miles, into the mountains of Georgia, mid-December. And, then I had just one day, in Ohio, that I rode a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 for about 5 hours through the Ohio and Indiana countryside.

I haven't been riding since. So, basically 2.5 - 3.0 months of riding experience.

Then, found a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC for sale... in Arizona, Carefree, Arizona.... roughly 2000 miles from where I need to put tags on it. I jumped at the chance for a roadtrip with 'er. It suddenly became the next thing up on my bucket list!!

Scared tweetless, but for this one day, all I had to do was... breathe!! I was in the two-day countdown to an epic, cross-country motorcycle trip!

Attached Files:

2. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    This sounds fun. Looking forward to hearing your adventure
    steve3b3 and RayT like this.
  3. kuchibashi

kuchibashi LLB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too
    RayT likes this.
  4. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching this one.
    Stay dry & as warm as possible. The current weather will be a big part of this adventure. :vardy
    NEPA 450x and RayT like this.
  5. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In
    RayT likes this.
  6. Renegade3

Renegade3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Have fun!!!!
    RayT likes this.
  7. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_01; Gardnerville, NV

Grabbed lunch at Cafe Girasole, Gardnerville, NV for a last reminder taste of Tahoe for a few months, with my friend, Scott. It is here that I did the ceremonial "Changing of the Boots"... Sometimes the right set of boots helps me to, magically, get myself into the right headspace for an adventure. It was time to switch up from playing in the snow (500k vertical feet of snowboarding for the season!! Whoot whoot!!) to playing biker chick - I absolutely ADORE my Forma adventure boots!! They make me feel tougher than I maybe actually do. Sooo faking it til I make it!!

Attached Files:

8. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ray, many of us old timers are concerned about your safety. The weather has been very unpredictable to say the least! Are you planning on staying as far south as possible? Do you have heated gear? Anyone riding with you?

One thing that has been invaluable when the high winds are blowing is turning in your seat and looking into the wind. Helps to stabilize the bike.

There is a lot of knowledge on this website. No question is stupid.. ride safe..
  9. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!
    RayT likes this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I have those boots, they take a long while to break in!
    Good luck with the ride!
    RayT likes this.
  11. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oldtouring - I appreciate the turning into the wind tip!! I stayed put yesterday in my AirBnB for an extra day, just inside the Kansas line, from Colorado, just because the winds were so bad. I've put a few safety rules in place for myself, so that I don't get too tired or too cold and so that I have a quick bailout plan. I'm taking small, low-traffic roads across. I do have a heated jacket and gloves. I keep endlessly grilling a friend who has ridden for 30+ years with my questions. And, it's nice to know I now have an additional place to turn for advice! Thank you soo much!! :-)
    sieg, rider1150gsadv, nk14zp and 2 others like this.
  13. JER_OME

JER_OME Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 2012 800a couple weeks ago and rode it back from South Carolina. Seems we might have been better suited to buy each others bike, but that would involve less adventure. Have a safe trip!
    mitchapalooza and RayT like this.
  14. JER_OME

JER_OME Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh...mines XC, scratch that. Not much difference, but I kid myself I'll do more off road. Enjoy the bike, I absolutely LOVE mine
  15. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's too funny!! What are the chances, right?!? But, like you said, where would the adventure have been in that - could have grabbed coffee in the middle tho, if we'd'a planned better!! lol
  16. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh, quick edit... mine's an XC too!! I love mine so far too - she gets up and GOES!! omg!!
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_01; Carefree, AZ

A friend loves to call me Princess, so I thought, perhaps, maybe.... he's right!! And, what princess doesn't have her very own pink tutu and magic wand?? Exactly!! None ever!! Just had to make sure everything fits!! hahahaha Let the adventure begin!!!

Attached Files:

RedDogAlberta and nk14zp like this.
  18. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_02; Carefree, AZ

Meeting LuLu

So, who is LuLu - welllll.... according to some French friends, as far as I can tell, and I like it, so now I'm gonna' declare it fact (I am a princess, after all, so I can do those kinda' things, right?!!?? lol) - a LuLu Berlu is a crazy, hot chick. And, I have to say, the bike waiting for me, a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC, is DEFINATELY a LuLu Berlu!! I cannot wait to get my hands on 'er. But, alas, today was not to be the day! David took her for her first spin. I'm eagerly awaiting my chance!! Tomorrow is another day ;-)

Attached Files:

nk14zp likes this.
  19. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_02; Carefree, AZ

LuLu's PREVIOUS owner

Travel is one of those things that becomes addictive for a reason - it almost always takes your breath away, the surprises, the chance encounters, the warmth and kindness you find along the way.

David had found Ms. LuLu through one of the trader.com websites. Him and Uri, the previous owner, had talked several times on the phone, worked out a price, and arranged for the bike to stay put for 2+ months until we could pick her up (my plan for riding her back across the country was already long hatched!!) Until today!

How blessed in new friendship we both feel! Uri and his wife, opened their gorgeous home and beautiful hearts to us over red wine, ribs, heart-felt conversation, and the most spectacular sunset!

Attached Files:

rider1150gsadv and nk14zp like this.
  20. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_03; Carefree, AZ

The Men in My Life...

The other day, as I found my way up and over my beloved Sierra Nevada mountains, on my last hike for a few months, I got some time to contemplate the very recent loss of my Uncle Ray, and the influence of the extraordinary men in my life.

I often wonder why it is that I can't take the easy path forward... ever!! I wonder why it is that I feel compelled to push myself relentlessly. I wonder why I find it so deeply satisfying to intentionally cause myself great discomfort, angst, and often pain, why I'm always looking to test myself and my abilities, to see exactly what it is that I'm made of.

And, it got me to thinking of the men in my life. My Dad, my Uncle, David, various friends that have passed meaningfully through my life, have all always bouyed me up with their quiet confidence in me, until the very first moment I could carry myself.

As the snow was melting along the trail, little bits of rock and dirt tumbled free of the hillside. I noticed that so many of my fears of mountain lions and bears and my own shortcomings were also loosening with the thaw. And, this I know... I am who I am, in a very significant way, because of the men in my life.

And, here is one of those extraordinary men... David is making sure I'm taken care of for my big trip, teaching me how to be strong and self-sufficient, what things I need to take care of while on the road, prepping to send me on my way.

Attached Files:

1stgenfarmboy, nk14zp and NEPA 450x like this.