Ignorance IS bliss... Arizona to Ohio on a freshly minted endorsement

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RayT, Apr 11, 2019.

1. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_05; Globe, AZ

Goodbye, Globe

I love small towns, like Globe, that have preserved their character! IMG_8097 use.JPG
    1stgenfarmboy, nk14zp and StayFrosty like this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have an excellent adventure! You're certainly starting in the right place. Globe has been one of my favorite places in AZ since my first visit there in 1988. I had the opportunity to ride through there just a few weeks ago and it was just as I remembered it the last time I was there twenty years ago. Ride Safe!
    RayT likes this.
  3. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel a great similarity in The Force
    Reminds me of Mallory and Baylor.
    I can't find her thread.
    Any inmate have a link for RayT?
    RayT likes this.
  4. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very much like the down in the dirt pictures of the flora, and the windswept sky.
    RayT likes this.
  5. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I already have great wanting to come back this way!! It's a different kind of beauty from Tennessee - the vast skies, the wide open roads! And, it's so much fun to think that we all might be giving one another a wave as we pass by!! Thank you so much for the well-wishes!! Back 'atcha!!
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  6. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do!! ;-) https://advrider.com/f/members/rayt.435899/ All the best!! And safe travels!!
  7. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_05; Salt River Canyon Scenic Drive, AZ

My first ever... TWISTIES!!

Left out of Globe, AZ after a super-tasty bfast, headed for the twisties!! Ohhhh, the TWISTIES!!

I took Route 77 up through Salt River Canyon, down one side, to the river, then up and up the other side -baking at the bottom, nippy at the top.

Still can't grasp the fact that I did THAT on my first big road trip out into the world!!

IMG_8192 use.JPG IMG_8127 use.JPG IMG_8117 use.JPG IMG_8152 use.JPG IMG_8171 use.JPG
  8. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_05; Salt River Canyon Scenic Drive

No Lie!

Parking lots!! Ugh!! I managed to dump poor LuLu... in a parking lot!! Seriously?? I ran for the semi truck that was parked at the scenic overlook - I didn't want whoever was driving it to head out before I got some help picking her back up.

I've been told by a friend to not stress dropping the bike, that everyone does it, and that someone will jump in to help. Not only did the trucker come help, but two guys who saw the bike laying there zipped into the overlook to help me out, too.

And, as if that wasn't enough magic to hold one's heart, the truck driver and his female friend then asked me to take a video of them, with the Mini Grand Canyon behind them. I start the video rolling, and the man drops to one knee... I KID YOU NOT!!! ....and proposes to her!!

Couldn't have seen that one coming in half of forever!! She said yes, she cried, they hugged and hugged, I did my very best to capture the moment. They hugged me, wanted to take a pic with me with my bike - when I said, "Heavens, noo, it's not about me," they told me that now I was part of their engagement story!!

Wish I had a pic of them, I don't. I only have a picture of their spot, but what a spot it is!!

Still shaking my head in disbelief. Maybe it's the blue wand I carry on the side of my backpack that brings the magic, but any which way, I love the delightfulstories from the road!!

DROPPING THE BIKE COUNT: 3

IMG_8185 use.JPG IMG_8193 use.JPG
    nk14zp and motorchi like this.
  9. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_05; Concho Valley, AZ

Old Friends

And, as if all that weren't enough for one mind-blowingly spectacular kinda day... I, then, did a little bit of what I would (at this point) consider off-roading - 4 miles down a hardpacked dirt and gravel road, to the very middle of sky country Arizona, to see a friend, Matt, I haven't seen in 35, yes, I said 35!!! years!!

I was greeted with the kind of hug that tells you that you haven't skipped a beat, that friendship, love and care is always just a visit away.

We only had a little bit of time, but he helped me pick up my bike when I realllllly lost it, hard, in a puddle of gravel in the bend of his drive, I got to meet his wonderful kids, he made sure my mags were full so that I can handle myself out there, cleaned the gunk off my helmet, made sure I knew where I was headed for the night, and then pushed my not-so-little LuLu back up the hill to get me back out and on my way.

Journeying this way is almost unreal! It is highs and lows, terrors and euphoria, exhaustion and exhiliration. And, it seems to drop me a little bit deeper into the world. I can't hide in the car - I'm out there. I can't send David out in my stead. I have to cope with my fears, I have to problem solve my way endlessly through my day, and when it's good... ohhhhh, is it so verrrrry good!!

DUMPED THE BIKE COUNT: 4

IMG_8191 use.JPG
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    RayT likes this.
  11. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_06; Concho Valley, AZ

When Things Go Wrong

I'm told that, in adventuring circles, the experience of most people is that the adventure hasn't really begun until something goes wrong.

I bunged up my panier baddddly yesterday when I took a spill in the gravel. My friend, Matt, duct taped the hole in my bag shut to try to keep out the rain - I was all twinkly and shiny when I left Phoenix, now LuLu and I are both looking a little worse for wear!

But, never ever underestimate a blonde with a good nights sleep, a great can of hairspray, a multi-tool and zipties!!

After a bit of analysis, I figured out that I hadn't bent the luggage frame, and that wasn't the reason for my being unable to keep the bag clipped in tight like it should. I realized that I needed to get some bolts tightened up instead.

In the meantime, I did my best to tighten them in, then ziptied the frame up tight so that the roller was positioned correctly to the bag - I had to hope that my fix would hold until I could get the right sized wrench and solve the problem permanently.

IMG_8202 use.JPG IMG_8203 use.JPG
    nk14zp likes this.
  12. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha - there we go - awesome!! Thank you!! I'm sooo tired at night, I swear, my brain just seizes up - lol, now I'm reading what you wrote correctly. I'm thinking I should prob get some sleep!! Ugh! And, I'm so afraid of reading all the other epic adventures - I'll wanna go and never come back - this IS addictive!! ;-) I just took a peek at her epic journey - thank you for sharing - can't wait to dive in!!
    nk14zp likes this.
  13. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_06 Concho Valley, AZ

Monkey What??

You know life has taken a decidedly new turn when you find yourself excited that you’ve figured out that you can strap your wet hand washed underthings under your cargo net to dry!

Oh, and when you have spent $100 for 2 pair of special, super-properties undies that are meant to prevent something referred to as the dreaded “monkey butt!!”

IMG_8205 use.JPG
    nk14zp likes this.
  14. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_06; Concho Valley, AZ

Tweaking, 1st state line, cutie server, & my Chinese laundry

Today, my friend Matt was an angel, truly!! He carved out a good chunk out of his day to lower my suspension the extra 1/2" that has made all the difference in the world to me - he's right, I looked and felt like I'd got an instant 30% bump in confidence! He tweaked out my handlebars to fit me better, fixed my messed up luggage rack, showed my how to lube my chain and helped me figure out what route I wanted to take back to Ohio - change of plans.... Colorado it is!!

I feel like I'm all set up for the rest of the trip now b/c of Matt - he's crisscrossed the states so many times, that he knows it and its routes so intimately. I hit the New Mexico border, and headed up to Gallup. I rode my 106 miles of the day in blissed out solitude!

At dinner, I got a big giggle when the cutie of a server at the Mexican restaurant I found on Route 66, who had been all business, "Yes, ma'am, no ma'am, thank you ma'am", went suddenly all twinkly eyed on me when he pieced together the helmet on the table and the bike he spied out in the parking lot - then he was all conspiratorial, "What kinda bike is that??" kept catching my eye, talked like we were in cahoots when he confessed his new found interest in bull riding, that he told me about in a hushed voice, a finger to his lips to talk all shusshed, b/c there was somebody there he obviously didn't want to know about it.

Ohhhhh, this is sooooo much fun!!

And, then, it was onto my nightly routine - call the hubby before it ges too late, message the folks and let them know I'm in safe for the night, stand my ancient body under the hottest water I can stand, until I too wash down the drain, hand wash out bits of clothing and hang them to dry for the night, open up the laptop and plot out my next day's ride, post some pics for FB, PASSSSS OUTTTTTT!!!! lolol

IMG_8207 use.JPG IMG_8231 use.JPG IMG_8211 use.JPG IMG_8221 use.JPG IMG_8228 use.JPG
    rider1150gsadv, nk14zp and StayFrosty like this.
  15. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_07; Colorado State Line

2nd State Line

Made it to Colorado - apparently with some very serious helmet hair!!! lmbo!! One of many hazards on the road. As is having to eat McDonalds, just to get some food in me!!

Over 600 miles under my tires so far, not too bad!! I think the trip is going to end up at closer to 2500 by the time I'm done!!

IMG_8256 use.JPG
  16. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_07; Durango, CO

At This Rate

172 miles, in one day!! Whoot whoot - lol, at this rate, I'm not gonna hit Ohio until 2020!!

map.png
    rider1150gsadv and nk14zp like this.
  17. RayT

RayT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019_04_07; Durango, CO

Brotherhood of Bikers

There is something I've come to love about the biking community, already. It's the kind of brotherhood that exists between riders, that manifests itself in the low-key, almost universal two-finger-peace-sign-down-low wave that folks give each other as they pass on the road, the people who jump in to help you pick up your downed bike, and the instant recognition of a fellow rider.

I had stopped into the McDonald's in Durango, to get a little wifi, and figure out where I was spending the night. I looked over from my booth to see the two helmets on the table of the 20-something guy and girl across from me.

One comment led to a conversation, which led to an invite to take a ride with them over the 33 mile Wild Cat Canyon Loop west of town. Chris had a beautiful 1400 of some sort - I know, I'm sorry, I should know!! I followed him and his girlfriend, Melissa, out and around, winding below the snowcapped peaks outside Durango.

At a gas station, we hugged and went our seperate ways. I don't even have a pic of the kids that didn't hesitate to ask this middle-aged lady to go for a ride - it's the love of the bike that is the tie that binds!! How incredibly cool is that??

wildcat canyon.png
  18. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    If one needs a more lasting tape repair, use Gorilla Tape... no kidding.
    Ceiling fan in the room? Wipe off the blades and slow spin dry clothing.

Good writing style and I'm glad you did not rush into this historic storm looking for adventure in being rescued.
    Ya want the wide open spaces? West Texas will offer too much of it in my opinion... Carry on Blondie.

:*sip*
    RayT likes this.
  19. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    enjoying your RR, your enthusiasm is contagious!
    RayT likes this.
  20. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    That looks delicious..

For some reason, food always tastes so much better on a long motorcycle trip. I have lots of possible explanations, but nothing definitive.

I find I generally eat like I’m a teenage boy again, and still manage to lose weight on a trip.
    RayT likes this.