Ignorance IS bliss... Arizona to Ohio on a freshly minted endorsement

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RayT, Apr 11, 2019.

1. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Magic seems to happen when you are a long ways from home on a bike.

Great ride report!
    i4bikes and RayT like this.
  2. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OldPete - Thx much - I was thinking of adding duct tape to my kit, you think Gorilla Tape is better? My buddy Matt said, "If it's supposed to move and it does, WD-40. If it moves and it's not supposed to, duct tape." Brilliant!!
  3. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mpenner - I'm doing the same thing - I can hardly keep my fingers out of my food, I'm eating like I haven't eaten in days every time, head down, devouring everything in site!! I've lost weight on this trip too. And, I crave protein. It always seems like you can always find carbs to eat. The other night, I had THE best Kansas strip steak ever!! lol, you've got me wondering if it's like camping, you're so hungry, and being out in the elements all the time would somehow make boxed mac 'n cheese seem divine!! lolol
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  4. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gorilla Tape is more expensive but oh so much stronger in tensile strength and stickum than any duct tape.
    rider1150gsadv and RayT like this.
  5. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ha HA!! This is good to know!! Distinctions make all the difference!! Gorilla Tape it is!! :-)
    OldPete likes this.
  6. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shaggie and RayT like this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great report! More please.
    RayT likes this.
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good time to add some tools to the bikes tool kit.
    RayT likes this.
  9. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use welding rod holders as tool holders and have some black Gorilla tape and electical tape wrapped around them so I don't have to carry it on rolls.
    SteveTheLocal and RayT like this.
  10. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a fun RR! :lurk
    Remember that there are two types of riders, those who have dropped their bike and those who will, so don’t beat yourself up too much about it ...:D
    And yes Gorilla tape is the best...:lol2
    RayT likes this.
  11. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to oblige, RedDog!! I'm days behind, but trying to catch up everytime I hit my AirBnB. :-)
  13. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nk - would love your suggestions! Def need the tape, have the handful of wrenches that came with the bike, a multitool (goes with me hiking, figured it couldn't hurt to have), chain lube, but not much else. I'm def teachable!!
    ShimrMoon and nk14zp like this.
  14. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy that I'm over being too terribly embarrassed about it - got out of the way early and often, lol!! 450 miles to go, then it's practicing get that girl up off the ground by myself!!
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  15. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_08; Durango, Silverton, Ouray, CO

Million Dollar Highway

Left out of Durango, Colorado, to take on the Million Dollar Highway - as I understand it's one of those aspirational riding roads.

IMG_8284 use.JPG

I was sooo nervous - when I did a Google search I found it listed under "most dangerous roads" kind of lists, the elevation is north of 10,000', there's still snow in them there hills, contains countless switchbacks and twisties, and there are sections that drop off hundreds of feet, with no guard rails, on one side and rock faces on the other - oh, and those places are the skinny road places!! Yup!!

Last night, I literally plunked down the little yellow person onto the route of Google Maps and followed the photos of the road along the route all the way up to Silverton to see what I was getting into. I knew I could go at least that far, and turn around there if I felt outta my depth.

IMG_8326 use.JPG

When I got to the overlook above Silverton, I dunno what I was thinking, or not!! I only put LuLu in neutral when I stopped to take a pic of the town down below, and she rolled downhill right off her kickstand, and, again, down she went!! I picked up yet another chunk off my girl off the asphalt, the ball off my clutch lever, and tucked it into my pocket.

IMG_8386.JPG

I tried to get her up myself. I did all the right things.... made sure it was turned off, that it was in gear, got ahold of the handlebar and the back handle at the back of the bike... wayyyy too heavy, even without the panniers on! Fortunately, another road saint, Christopher, came to my rescue - with two people it's easy. He laughed, told me where I'd gone wrong, gave me a hug and sent me on my way, all the way to Ouray!!

IMG_8340 use.JPG

What a darling town and a truly epic drive - I didn't quite figure out my cheapy knock off GoPro, that I'd cobbed onto my backpack strap, so I have the video for the way out, but not the way back.

IMG_8360 use.JPG

142 miles later, I rolled back into Durango, feeling like a bit of a popscicled bada** (my not-so-bright move of the day was to forget my heated jacket despite knowing I was running up into snow country!!).

To my friend, Matt Wiley, I cannot thank you enough for all the detailed info about the route, the things to watch for (snow, rocks falling onto the road, black ice, water running across the road, dark patches on the road) - it gave me the confidence to tackle it!! <3 This post is dedicated to you, my friend!!

DUMPED THE BIKE COUNT: 5

IMG_8288 use.JPG IMG_8296 use.JPG IMG_8352 use.PNG IMG_8383 use.JPG IMG_8357 use.JPG
    Trip Hammer and nk14zp like this.
  16. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_08; Million $ Hwy

Video

I managed to get my cheapy knock-off GoPro cobbled onto the strap of my backpack - had no clue if I was catching anything - it's a little sideways, and a little wobby at the beginning, but the landscape is spectacular!!

Ride along at:

nk14zp likes this.
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_09; Durango, CO

Bombed out Mess

The thing I'm realizing - when I travel light, I use everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I bring along!! So, it tends to all get pulled out, in a bombed out mess all over my hotel room!!

Then, I can't imagine how it is all possibly going to go back into the small amount of space I have to contain it all. Somehow, impossibly, it always does!

IMG_8409 use.JPG IMG_8411 use.JPG
    rider1150gsadv and nk14zp like this.
  18. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_09; Durango, CO

Baby Steps

In my world, it’s all about taking the next uncomfortable baby step and the next, until they start adding up to big things!!

Today was tackling riding around a small town, fully loaded down, with all the hills and stop signs, cruising to find a do-able parking spot. And, then figuring out how to get her backed in so she was stable...

While I went looking for a nommie bfast!!

(It only took me pulling out and backing back in about a dozen times before I realized, hey, maybe perpendicular to the curb will do it!! omg!! AND!! I DIDN'T drop 'er!!)

IMG_8412 use.JPG
    StayFrosty and nk14zp like this.
  19. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_09; Durango, CO

Too Early, Too Late

A friend recommended breakfast at the Strater Hotel, downtown. I tried... I was simulataneously too early (for lunch) AND too late (for bfast)- but, what a pretty hotel!

IMG_8422 use.JPG IMG_8425.JPG IMG_8423.JPG
    Ducatijim and nk14zp like this.
  20. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to start off by saying great job, and good for you in making this trip happen. Your new bike looks fantastic and in time you will find what works best for you and the way you ride. Back on post #54 while your bike was on the lift I noticed your front tire, good street tire, although not so much of a good duel sport tire (IMHO). I know for me switching to a more aggressive set of dirt based tires made all the difference in gravel and sand. That and practice, pick it up and practice some more..... Street tires were like riding on ball bearings, as others have suggested easy on the front brake, shift your weight back on the seat and try lighten the front tire.
    When you get home and need to change tires think about it if your travels will include dirt and gravel.
    Keep on going girl and thanks for posting, your doing great.....
    Tim
    RayT likes this.