Ignorance IS bliss... Arizona to Ohio on a freshly minted endorsement

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RayT, Apr 11, 2019.

1. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_09; Durango

France in Colorado

One of the things that I find so intoxicating about travel is the unexpected, chance encounters along the way.

When I couldn't eat at my first choice restuarant in Durango, I asked for a bfast suggestion - when given the opportunity for a French bakery, welllllll.... what else is one to do?? Really??

IMG_8429 use.JPG

As I walked in the door at Jean-Pierre's, downtown Durango, I asked the kid, "Anyone speak French in here??" He laughed, said he could nail the pleasantries, hello, goodbye, thank you, but that the restaurant's namesake would be in shortly.

Just before I tucked into my eggs benedict, JP came in and we start gibber jabbering away in French, MUCH to my delight!! The server looked a little shocked, like maybe he had thought I'd overplayed my hand.

Jean-Pierre ordered himself up an omlette, pulled up a chair, and, for 40 minutes, we shared a breakfast together, laughing and talking about travels, my favorite city in the world, Paris, and real estate.... yes, still, in French - I guess the last 8 years of study has paid off!! hahaha - at least he played along, if nothing else!!

IMG_8434 use.JPG

We then went across the street to meet his Belgian friend. Kiss-kiss-kisses, or bise-bise-bisous. And, then, I was off, down the road to scoot across the mountains before they got hit with a big snow storm.

IMG_8442 use.JPG

Attached Files:

2. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_19; Wolf Creek Pass, CO

149 miles today, for a total just north of 900 miles so far! (I'm crawling my way to Ohio!!). I rode from Durango to Alamosa, Colorado, up through Wolf Creek Pass, elevation 10,856'!! I can't believe I don't have a single picture - this is something I have got to get figured out about this motorcycling thing - it's so hard to get pics along the way! If anyone can point me in any direction for someone who has gotten this figured out, I would sure be appreciative!!

Suffice it to say, that, as the road narrowed down to where the creek cut its way through was breathtaking Colorado at its finest!!

map.png
  3. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_09; Alamosa, CO

So terribly wrong!!

And, this....

Is sooooo terribly wrong!!

I have to figure out how in the world to eat on the road!! I went from having a lovely breakfast in a French bistro, to eating gas station fare - ech!! I'm fried when I stop for the day, and, honestly, cannot make myself get back on that bike to go find something to eat. I'm only managing to eat two times a day, so by the time meal #2 comes along, I'm ravenous!!

I look like an 18 year old guy cut loose with a $20 bill!!

At least I was welcomed in out of the cold with a "Hello Sunshine!!" :-)

Attached Files:

DucaIan and nk14zp like this.
  4. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sure your already out of Durango, but if not the Durango Dinner on the west side is awesome or breakfast. SKA brewery on on the east side is a favorite for lunch, dinner and oh yea the best beer in Colorado.

Good luck and have fun,

Tim
    RayT likes this.
  5. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_10; Heaven Knows Where, CO

1000 Miles!!!

The odometer was sitting at 111 when I left Carefree, Arizona. Somehow, I've managed to put 1000 miles in the saddle so far!! I can hardly believe I've come this far on my first ever motorcycle road trip!!

IMG_8569.JPG

Attached Files:

ShimrMoon, rider1150gsadv and nk14zp like this.
  6. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Great RR, when/if you get to So.ILL, we are on tent space, my wife would invite the chance to have a lady biker stay, and I can take care of the bike if needed.
    RayT likes this.
  7. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_10; La Veta Pass, CO

Oooh, Slippy

More mountains, more snow! A couple of moments of, "Ohhhh, crap, that feels a little icy slippy!" La Veta Pass, Colorado, Elevation 9426'!! Thank heavens for heated gear!! Nothing quite like marinating in a puddle of your own sweaty gloves hahaha

IMG_8559 use.JPG IMG_8566 use.JPG IMG_8561 use.JPG
    rider1150gsadv and nk14zp like this.
  8. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_10; Eastern Colorado

Eastern Colorado. I was sure I’d hit Kansas! Great, big, beautiful wide-open spaces... alllll to myself!!

I hear people say how boring it is out there, but, honestly, I love the ginormous sky and empty back roads!!

IMG_8574 use.JPG IMG_8580 use.JPG
  9. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019_04_10; Coolidge, KS

Seriously?!?! Again?!?!

Grabbed lunch in some town - starving (seems to be a theme with me), then ran across the street to get gas. As I was trying to plug in my heated jacket, after I'd put up the kickstand... yes, you guessed, I dropped the blippin' bike - that would be DUMPED THE BIKE COUNT #6!!

Dorothy (and LuLu) DID blow into Kansas, just barely over the state line!!

IMG_8591 use.JPG

We arrived under 25mph winds, with gusts of 40mph!! In true ride-your-own-ride fashion, I slowed down to speeds barely above 35 MPH, flagged people backed up behind me to go around me (then waved a friendly thank-you-so-much-for-your-patience kinda wave), and just kept making my way slowly east. I was sideways for the preceding hour and half before we came sliding into the state. It was all I could do to make myself stop the bike long enough to get a pic at the state line!

But, my adventure wasn't over quite yet. As my GPS led me to my AirBnB, it was with MASSIVE amounts of dread that I realized it was down a.... freakin' gravel road - if parking lots don't get us, then it's gonna be the gravel!! I made it just in front of the darling little log cabin, and down we went.

Gotta love Lori, the proprietess, who came out and helped me haul her back up on her feet and then pushed and shoved along with me to work her in between the two cabins, safe from the wicked and wild west winds.

IMG_8710 use.JPG
    How can you not love AirBnB's when they're as darling as this one?!?!

Finished up my day with the most flavorful, beefiest Kansas strip steak at the only restaurant in "town," washed it down with a blueberry acai wine cooler (lol, who knew!!), and toted home a piece of homemade cheesecake with caramel sauce. I met my neighbors, who were also having dinner as they passed through from Elijay, Georgia, home of one of my favorite waterfalls, back to Wyoming.

I crawled into my Princess and the Pea bed and died dead away - let the winds howl all they want outside!! I've already decided to stay on for another day!

IMG_8599 use.JPG IMG_8601 use.JPG IMG_8602 use.JPG

DUMPED LuLu COUNT: 7 (wow, just a time or two!!)
  10. SoosCreek

SoosCreek Angle of Repose...

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents. A couple of things I and many others do when doing a long ride. One, always have water and some kind of healthy protein bars in your tank bag so you don't have to stop and buy things at a gas station. You can eat when you stop to take photos, etc. I get a box of them from Costco or Walmart and throw some into the bag for a trip. I usually ride a little before breakfast, stop eat, and then just ride until dinner and snack along the way if I have to. Second, I always research a hotel before I leave to my next destination that it is walking distance to a place to eat for dinner. No one wants to get back on the bike after a days ride to find dinner! Check in, drop off the stuff, etc. and then walk for dinner. Your legs will always appreciate it if you have rode a couple of hundred miles. If I am by myself, I always look for a place with a bar that I can eat in...
  11. catboat32

catboat32 n00b

Oddometer:
    go girl, we are all proud of your determination. i second SoosCreek's advice. i always wear a small 1 1/2 liter camelbak. dehydration is your enemy . photos? i always wear a point and shoot on a lanyard around my neck. with a little practice you can snap a photo even with your gloves on. those on and off buttons are very small. i don't think they are healthy but i snack on cliff bars. they seem to do the trick for energy so at dinner it helps from the starving over eating thing. good luck,ric
    RayT likes this.
  12. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as your clutch lever goes look at the savings. Some people spend big bucks on shortened levers.
    RayT likes this.
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    And congrats for your first road trip. Your first is longer than some of us have ever done.
    RayT likes this.
  14. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    For what it is worth, my typical solution when on the road by myself is to get on the road by 8 AM or so, ride for a couple of hours and then stop and get a huge breakfast. I will then snack when I stop for gas. I stop and get dinner at the end of the day. If I’m staying at a hotel I will generally eat before I check in. If I’m camping anywhere near a place to eat, I’ll set up camp and then ride back and eat.

If I’m riding a short distance to dinner I don’t always put all my gear back on which makes it less onerous to get back on the bike.

It often doesn’t work out that cleanly but that’s my general plan.
    RayT likes this.
  15. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    RayT likes this.
  16. StayFrosty

StayFrosty Mid Life Crisis -Wish it happened 20 yrs ago Supporter

Oddometer:
    RayT I just want to say you inspire me. I've owned my KLR for two years now and only ride to and from the office. I have only ridden for two years now :). So seeing you brave the unknown and take on the challenges head on is awesome! I'm not sure my wife would want me to do the ride you are doing.

Great adventure and lot's of great information coming out of it for me! Thank you
    RayT likes this.
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1stgenfarmboy - thank you sooo much for the invite - I just looked at the map, and I'm going through up much higher, up near Indy. If you ever get down Chattanooga way, I'd love to meet you and your wife, go for a ride, and meet a fellow adventure tough chick!! I'm so touched by your invite!!
  18. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tim, I guess this just means I'll have to ride back that way!! ;-)
  19. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do folks have a hard time getting themselves to stop once they get started moving? For some reason, it feels like momentum keeps me from stopping. I'm not sure if it's just overwhelming enough as it is, this first big trip, that I can't seem to wrap my head around stopping, navigating what always seems like a gravel drive, stripping down to go in some place. Love the suggestion of making sure a hotel is within walking distance of a place to eat. And, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who cannnnnnottttt make myself get back on that bike once I stop to find dinner!! lol So appreciate all the suggestions, SoosCreek!!
  20. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ric, thank you for the encouragement!! Definately need to tuck the water bladder back into the small backpack that goes with me everywhere. I can feel the effects of dehydration! There always seem to be so many little details to remember to get suited up, connected up (heated gear, phone charging for navigation), put in ear plugs (why I can't seem to remember this one is beyond me!!) - does it eventually get to be habit, so that so much mental energy isn't used up before you even hit the road for the day, and also that gives you the mental space to think about stopping to eat, and having to do all those things again? Love the lanyard suggestion - so bummed at the pics I'm not getting - I've managed a few look-ma, no hands pics on my cell phone real quick when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, but that seems dicey.