Il Mostro de Enduro

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by OldDog, Jan 30, 2009.

1. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    And now for something completely different:huh ! I present, Il Mostro de Enduro!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    I thought i&#8217;d share the build with you guys, feel free to make suggestions though, idea&#8217;s are always welcome.
    I&#8217;ve tried many bikes over the years but never really found something i liked so i decided to build something to suit me. Had a few Ducati&#8217;s which i really enjoyed but they are way too small for me physically, so i decided to super size one.
    To start with i bought a 2000 model 900cc Ducati Monster with the fuel injected motor back in August last year. The bike was an insurance write off but with very little damage, just a dented tank and broken clutch perch etc etc. First thing i did was get it running and take it for a spin, and it goes quite well and for an air cooled v-twin its quite powerful. I had second thoughts about turning this into a dual sport bike due to the power..........not:rofl .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did some initial stuffing about with a YZ front end, here it is looking like a chopper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres a few pics of the suspension travel and rear shock placement mock ups. The shock is now tilted forward and links directly to the swingarm (the paoli is just there for show, an ohlins is coming for it).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've extended the swingarm by 100mm, its a rough mock up at the moment just to see how the bike handles, once i'm happy we'll get a custom tube type one fabricated up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I&#8217;ve had quite a bit of assistance from Pezz and his mate Mal (thanks a heap guys) Pezz has helped with the overall design and given me a lot (a LOT) of advice with the frame, swing arm and geometry, Mal did the machining work on the triple clamps etc. Paul Rooney has also been a big help with suspension set up info and rebuilding the Marzocchi forks and soon to build the Ohlins rear shock.
    Here it is so far, i still have to fab up pegs, a side stand, exhaust, brake caliper brackets and bash plate plus a million small things. When finished it should be a 50 -50 dirt / road bike. It has 250mm of suspension travel front and rear (again it has the paoli in there at the moment so theres a bit of sag:lol3 ) and about the same ground clearance once the bash plate is fitted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Thought i'd just add a "finished" (are these things ever finished?) Pic of the bike, i even washed it!

[​IMG]
  2. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    Excellent work Bill. I do hope you make Condo mate. Your a lot gamer than me mate. Well done.

:lurk
  4. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Yep, It all started here . . . . .

[​IMG]
  5. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome work..:clap

Is this just the test mule , ready for the 996 version? :evil :lol3
  6. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of doing something very similar for a while , I got to thinking pretty much the whole thing through and then discarded the Idea and bought a 950 SE , I reckon you'll spend more on the Monster Mash than my SE owes me , probably get more attention than the SE and as it'll be mostly by your own hands , lots of satisfaction , along with some frustration too I'll bet .

Good on you Bill for having a go at building your version of the perfect ADV bike . :thumb

Alan
  7. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    That front wheel looks familiar:D

I thought you were going to keep it a secret:lol3

Looks great Bill. Stop mucking around, and get those brackets made.:lol3

Will be interesting to see how it handles when finished.
  8. AUS CRUZER

AUS CRUZER Lets Cruz

Oddometer:
    :bow Very nice.Thats gunna be alot of fun:D
  9. pilot

pilot Well... Super Moderator

Oddometer:

What he said. Looks fantastic. How high of a seat are you shooting for?
  10. touser

touser canned fruit

Oddometer:
    I like it but I've wondered how it goes being air cooled, especially in slow going.

Do you think it matters much?
  11. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link Saab, i have to join to view it so i'll do that in a tic. Al, i have a tight budget so to get it registered it should cost approx $9k, eventually though, yeah it'll probably add up over the years :rofl , i don't think it'll ever be the bike an SE is though, not as powerful for start.
    Johno, yep i was going keep it under wraps until Condo, but i was so happy with how well it's coming together i just had to share.:lol3 That wheel is sweet by the way, thanks again for a great deal!
    Pilot seat height is a total unknown yet as i'm still measuring up the rear shock but i'd say about 940mm, i'm a long legged bastard.
  12. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    :tb Slurp.
  13. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
  14. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Ah thanks matt! I'll join up with em
  15. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey buddy....looks like Bill's got things well under control.

This is the real McCoy here :clap :clap

Eyes wide open, drooling into the keyboard....what a job !!!:freaky :freaky
  16. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're getting a new swingarm fabricated you might want to think about adding a plate between the frame and the swingarm mount on the engine.

The Elefants (unlike the Ducatis) don't have the swingarm hanging off the motor. The early prototypes did, but they would brake the cases off-road. Those were dakar bikes though, so I imagine they were at the extreme end of off-road use :eek1
  17. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice. :thumb:lurk
  18. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Elephant, yeah totally agree with that. I'm getting a set of fish plates made up which bolt on either side of the current frame and tie the frame to the engine, these will also hold the foot pegs. I'll pass an axle through the swing arm pivot which will be supported on each side by these plates, hopefully that will stop the twist, if not the next plan is to weld up a new subframe which extends down to the engine and has a bearing on each side, i'll make up a longer swingarm pivot which will pass through these bearings. It will be a lot more expensive, but it would 100% cure the issue.
  19. rarebear

rarebear Garage gadget

Oddometer:
    Mate that is awesome, the air cooled 900 Ducati motor is the perfect adv motor in my opinion, think cagiva 906sp Elefant factory racer from the early 90's, i think? Anyhow will be watching with great interest to see how the Dirt Monstro comes together.:clap :clap :clap
  20. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bear, yeah its a simple motor with a lot of low down grunt so it should be a sweet bike.

Oh and Pezz? yeah mate NO, there will be no nitrous injection on this bike, crazy bastard:loco