IL/WI/UP of MI on 10/1-10/3/04

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by LIP, Sep 7, 2004.

1. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    LIP here and new to this forum. Recently purchased a 1995 GS11 and having a ball with the new scoot. Have been out of it for a while and it feels great to be back on 2-wheels.

Planning a trip with a few other GS riders, but we are not prejudice if you have scoot and want to join.

Leaving on 10/1/04 from 'The Point' pancake house on Rte's 41 and 21 (Gurnee I think) as early as we can get there. One of the riders is not an early riser and 1 is coming out of Chi town so meeting around 8 for chow and 9 for riding.

Heading up to Northern WI/UP for riding all day Saturday. If we get all ADVriders then we will try to do the ORV trails. If not, then we can stick to the hard pack unfinished/paved roads of the UP. We are planning to ride up to Lake of the Clouds on Saturday and around the UP, staying up Nort on Sat PM and riding home on AM Sunday so we can be home around dinner time. If you are interested in joining the fun, send me a PM and I will fill you in on details and include you in trip info. We are planning hotels for the 2 nights so we can lock up gear, but some of the riders seem like they are leaning towards camping. The weather is somewhat unpredictable at that time of year and I have heard of it snowing at night up there as early as 10/1. No worries, it won't stick!

Mitch 'the LIP'
  2. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

hey Lip

Welcome to the asylum

sounds like a good ride
    youll find there are plenty of sharp tools in the chicago shed
    some of them can even ride :lol3
    the gsers are being downsized to thumper at a fairly rapid rate.
    your welcome to join us the weekend before for some great gravel touring in the central Il River Valley region
    bring your adv comrads
    loosely organized ride, campout

pm me if your interested and want more specific info and waypoints

cheers
    chain
  3. ChicagoF650GS

ChicagoF650GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're going to MI, be advised that the rural speed limit, unless posted, is only 55mph.

Chain, your ride sounds great.
    I'd be interested, but unfortunatley I have no camping gear at this time.
  4. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Please don't let a lack of camping gear get you down... I have a tent you could use; all you'd need is a $30 sleeping bag from Target or somewhere besides Walmart ( :huh ) and you'd be set....
  5. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey ChicagoF

thats for sure dont worry about having all the right gear.
    Im certain we can come up with enough gear to get you comfortable for the night
    The fist has a tent
    I can bring several moving blankets from the furniture shop
    ther. now all you need now is beer and a pillow
    stuff youre tooth brush in your coat pocket and you are a camper :nod

The Fist has enough camping gadgetry to take a twelve man crew to the yukon for 3 months and he will have most of it tucked neatly into his suv :lol3

come on down its a ride befitting of a 650 GS
    the gravel hills are calling .............
    or maybe thats the hoot owls
    any way dont let a lack of gear hold you back from an oportunity to share a fire with fellow adv riders
    pick up an Illinois Gazateer and check it out pages 48 and 49

cheers
    chain
  6. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is about aride to the Up first weekend in Oct
    beautiful scenery and great roads

please post Farm ride info in Fall at the Farm roll call

and now back to our regular scheduled program

riding the UP with LIP

cheers

whats a rural speed limit :lol3
  7. katoom525

katoom525 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to go but I'm going up there in two weeks and then hopefully down to chains farm the next weekend.

But I will probably meet you at the triangle and cruise to Milwaukee, then just turn tail and cry my way home.

If we see any great trails that should not be passed up I will mark them on the GPS and be sure to forward them along to ya.

Anyway the triangle is a five minute ride my home so I'll definately hook up for some eggs and a short ride.
  8. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    What can I say... Im a minimalist :lol3

I only bring what I NEED... :nod
  9. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    f%*#!n gear junkie
  10. LIP

Oddometer:
    Friday 10/1/04

08:00 Hrs Met at ‘The Point’ for breakfast with Katoom525 (Jim and wife Susan), and Jim F. Jim F was late due to an auto accident on I-94. It took him 1 hour 40 minutes and should have been 1 hour. We ate breakfast and hit the road. Katoom Jim rode up to Rt 173 and 41 then split to the West and we continued North towards the Cheddar Curtain (WI).

10:30 Hrs Arrived at Corse Superbikes in Saukville, WI – www.corsesuperbikes.com for some cool shopping. We drooled over the KTM’s, Ducatis, MV Agustas and the awesome selection of Helmets. I tried a bunch on and almost purchased one but they didn’t have the one that I wanted in my size.

11:00 Hrs Back on the road towards da UP.

14:00 Hrs Stopped for lunch just over the river in Menominee, MI at Subway

15:30 Hrs Made our way to Cedar River, got gas and then proceeded up M35 .5 mile to the ORV trail head. We had a ball riding around off road for about 1 hour. Jim F managed to get himself stuck in a rut, then bury himself in the sand and he had enough. Ended up working our way back to M35 and proceed to Escanaba, MI where we spent the first night. We only rode about 1 mile in the rain and that was great.

Saturday 10/2 (I forgot what time we got where, and didn’t really care anymore. I was in vacation mode)

It poured on Friday night and got down below freezing so when we went out on Saturday morning, my bike would not start. I think that the kickstand kill switch got water in it, then froze, and was malfunctioning. We moved the bikes around from the West side of the building to the East side and let them sit in the Sun for about 10 minutes. That melted the ice enough for my bike to start up.

We started to make our way from Escanaba to Laughing Whitefish Falls and it was pretty cold. Maybe 35-40 degrees. When we got to the falls, we hiked the .6 miles back to the falls and it was well worth it. Warmed our bodies and saw something incredible.

We then made our way thru Marinette and on to Ishpeming. We stopped for a Pastie (when in Rome ya know) and then at the National Ski Hall of Fame. We had a conversation with some old timer and he helped us make a decision to ride up to Copper Harbor. There is a loop up there that goes along Lake Superior M26 (East) that you take from Phoenix, MI to Copper Harbor, MI and then pick up I-41 to ride back West. This was some of the most spirited riding we did. Lots of curves, sweepers, hills and FUN! Watch out for slow moving mini vans. We were told to take Brockway Mountain Drive, but there were too many cars on the road so we blew that off. I would like to go back and check that out too sometime. On the way up we stopped at Keweenaw Bay and took some pics:

We came South on 41 and picked up 141 South to Iron Mountain, MI where we spent the night. It was a great day with the falls and the ride around Lake Superior. A bit windy and cold, but very fun. You forgot all about the wind and cold when you are all over the throttle. : )

Sunday 10/3/04

Woke up and started the ride home. 100 miles and a need for a fuel stop got us just North of Green Bay. Drove another 100 before Lunch and that landed us into Port Washington. We stopped to eat and then hit the road. We drove down I-43 then I-94 into Racine County where we pulled off the highway and drove our way back to Illinois on side roads. That was a great way to finish out the trip. Arrived home around 2:30 PM for some homemade soup that my super cool awesome wife made. She is not much of a rider, but she can cook her butt off!
  11. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report
    Got any pics?
  12. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    We want pics!:lurk
  13. LIP

Oddometer: