1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Illinois Route 66

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Eagletalon, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good evening all,

My brother and I plan on riding from to IL to see a Cubs game and ride Route 66. From the intel that we’ve gathered it seems that the better spots are further out west. Any personal experience? We plan on riding from Buckingham Fountain to St. Louis. Will be riding in June or July.

Thanks
    Jon
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    It's just another 2-lane highway (chopped-up considerably) that will take you through a lot of speed traps slowly.

In June or July, I know you want to circle down to St. Louis, but I'd strongly consider heading North instead and cutting back East across the U.P. and back down the Mackinac Bridge.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

John
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I'll add that even out West there's not much to see, although it's neat to consider that that was THE road to SoCal for quite a while, and seeing the narrow and sometimes twisty stripe of asphalt parallel the interstate gives it some context.

John
  4. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode it from CHI to STL a few years ago... There's a lot of it still intact, but criss crossed by the newer roads that replaced it. I enjoyed it (though I did randomly also hit some gravel on the way, too). Once you get to STL, you have to pick North or South; the old RTE 66 bridge is now only open for rail.
  5. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    Add to the above, that the route changed a few times. So, multiple options.