1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Illinois tour march 20-27

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by motojoe, Feb 26, 2005.

1. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    I have been unable to become gainfully employed, so spring break I will have time to ride. I have been in the lower 48, 2 states of canada 20 states of mexico and crossed into Belize. I have ridden around chicago and the burbs, the mchenry lake boone and winnebago county area, the area around chains home and farm and up and down the interstates. but I haven't really seen much of illinois, really.

So, in light of having time but little money i think wandering around illinois for eight or nine days, camping like a vagrant in wierd places if i can, is about the most logical way to spend spring break.

What will i bring?

2000 drz400
    sleeping bag
    camp stove
    ramen soups
    tools
    helmet
    1 piece fielsheer suit
    mx boots (double as a pillow)
    $100 dollars for gas and stuff
    digi cam
    2 extra pairs of underwear and socks
    swimsuit (hahahaha in illinois in march!)
    running shoes (yeah i can run a whole mile now with the fucked up leg)

Things I wont take:
    tent (tents are for wimps)

Places I will try to visit:
    starved rock state park- supposed to be scenic, try to camp for free
    springfield- check out the capitol buildings, try to sleep on state capitol hill
    east st louis- supposed to be more ghetto than chicago, might camp in the ghetto if i can find a good spot
    shawnee natl forest, should be plenty of free camping and gravel
    free ferry across the river to kentucky, hey its free

Any other ideas? What should i go see/ride in the natl forest?
    Anyone want to join for the trip or a day or two?
    anything I oughtta avoid?
  2. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

:oscar No, no East St. Louis bro... you don't want to go there. :nono

There are several free ferries. The one you mention is near Hole in Rock Park. There's one a St. Genevieve. There are several near Pier Marquette Park. I have to run an errand right now, but I'll come back with some places you may want to visit.

Later...
  3. motojoe

Oddometer:
    Buzzez,
    about east st louie, people say that about the west side here. I love riding there. its like a whole new world ten miles from home.

just gotta keep your head straight, prolly wont camp there, but i gotta ride it a bit for comparison, you know? I will take some pics.

I will look into those ferries, thanks.
    joe
  4. motojoe

Oddometer:
    hey if you guys think I might be passing by your turf and know a good ride in the area, lets do it. I will schedule as needed.
  5. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    the White squirells of Olney
    Sleepy Jacks Tavern in Valley City, (the Smallest Incorporated Place In Illinois)
    The floating bar in the Bath Slough (an old tug boat) not sure were the plumbing goes :huh
    E ST Louis would not be on my List. But hey if thats what your into, Its definetly got gehtto
    While near Starved Rock, check out Mathiessen (sp?) Park dells area, and the Wildcat Rapids on the Vermillion River
    Great roads South of Mt Sterling All the way to Alton, you can ride the bluffs between the illinois and Mississippi. Calhoun County is Peach Country, Though you will be a little early.
    If your on the dualsport, check out St Joes park aka Flat River Riding Area in MO
    5:30 am Breakfast or lunch at the Hijalea Club in Goofy Ridge, about 2 miles North of Buzzville
    Land between the Lakes in KY is cool
    Shawnee is a place you could spend the whole week. lots to see.
    Best riding in Illionois IMHO is on the West side Starting up in Joe Davies County and working the rivers South to Pulaski County. Alot of flat grids East of the Illinois river.
    Let me know if your passing through Sand Ridge, You Can sleep in my ditch. I might even feed you.
    Im good for at least 1 Day as you pass through, We can hit some top secret areas we havent yet.
    takin the Connie?
  6. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Joe,

You get down in my let me know. I know a few of the backroads near the Illinois & Vermillion Rivers. Can also provide you with a place to crash :eek1

I've also camped at the Cave in Rock Park down on Southern IL. See link below.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/ShawneeDualsport.htm

This will be along trek on the DRZ, but I reckon you can handle it :wink:

I thinking of aMarch ride as well, but it may involve a "sunny beach"
  7. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Service the wheel bearings before you go, ya wacko!!

Jon
  8. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

Well, riding through ESL is a different story. Hell, I'd never camp out in my hood...:uhoh

Chain had some great advice. As far as decent riding South of St Louis. The trick is to stay between IL 3 and the river. You can ride the levy roads (for gravel) , the Bluff road (scenic), or you can hug the top of the bluffs for the twistee stuff (You may need a guide for that). When you get into the Shawnee National Forest you'll be surprised at the great riding roads. Find Makanda and you will have ridden many of them.

If you need a place to stay a night. I've got an empty apt. above me and garage space, you're welcome to use. :thumb If my work load allows me to. I might be able to sneak off for a day ride. :ricky
  9. ezekiel

ezekiel Lost again

Oddometer:
    ¿where are you gonna get 100 bucks? ¿and will you be taking staples blue drz? ¿and where did you get that suit anyway,cleveland?
  10. elektron

elektron effin ef

Oddometer:
    sounds pretty fun.. but i wonder how many of these places you could possibly visit in one week.. i mean and still actually visit them.. sounds like a fun ride... i put a trackmaster on my back wheel maybe i'll got hit that trail tomorrow.. (worked all weekend :(:) and damn changing tires sucks..
  11. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Get your ass down to Shawnee...Its awesome !!

Garden of the Gods is a great (and free) place to camp.
  12. staples

staples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    riiight.. like he's gunna take advise from some punk in CO... pfft. go play with your skies, leave the riding to us. :D

Staples
  13. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Joe, swing through Grayslake I'll buy ya a meal and fill your tank. It sounds like an ADV challange. Lets send Joe around our state on handouts. Pretty soon he'll be a rich pharmacist.

See if you can make it on $0.
  14. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

Call it, 'The MotoJoe's got no dough, IL discovery tour', or
    'MotoJoe, ain't got a dime but he's got plenty of time rolling ramble'. :deal
  15. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Thats got my vote
  16. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    When are ya leaving for Daytona :ear
  17. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Wed. March 9th early AM. 4-4:30ish
  18. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    Tell me when you are going to be in Southern Il.(way down there) I have lots of family in Golconda. Shawnee Natl. Forest is right there. There is a couple of private places to camp if you want to:

You can see Metropolis, Birthplace of Superman,
    Cave in Rock where the pirates hung out and attacked river boats,
    Garden of the Gods, Rock climbing and rapelling is legal,
    Shults Machine, Great machine shop. Good place if you REALLY break something. I'm not sure if they can weld titaniun, so maybe no rock climbing for you:D .

I'm good for a tank of gas if you get to Pekin, or Peoria. Same if I can get to southern Ill. (Or if I can't, I have ways...)

When are you starting?
  19. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ill fill your tank and throw you a biscuit, but you gotta change your screen name to motobum :D

look no sleeping bag

[​IMG]

:lol3
  20. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    M-Joe,
    There are several state parks near Starved Rock, notably Matthesian Park, which is South of Utica on 178. There is a horsecampground there which is only $5 to camp. Avoid the main Lodge area of Starved Rock - too many tourists. Hit some trails on the East end of the park. Like Vstrom said, let us know, we can show you some neat places to ride. I live a couple miles from the park, and have several acres you may camp on, if you want.

M