I'm ay it again..... Intergrated bashguard blink/driving lights...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sooooo... as stated...I'm at it again...... The next project is sort of two steps..... One..... Build a integrated blinker/driving Led light...put it on the bash guard......Two remove the stock front blinkers.....install soon to come Denali D2's in Stock blinker location....... I did this on Darth Vador a few years back......and it has worked flawlessly since.... But... as with anything you want custom made.... your on your own....which is alright with me......:D On the smaller Thumper... I did the whole complete tail light.....housing..... bought the lens...and Led's..... but fabbed the pcb up....and the result has been great.....
    [​IMG]

Although crude...it's not quite as bad as if welding was involved:lol3. So the gs's assy will incorporate about 3 one watt K2 led for the blinks....and 4-5 white for driving. I then will incorporate them into the bash guards....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have this option as the lens pictured above..... I already have the mold to cast the housing....so that would be convenient.....But I think it's a little odd looking...and shaped in that position...... So fellow riders..... Have you seen a lens for led's..... ( has small micro lenses build in) that is more square.....and perhaps a little smaller?????
    I thought I'd ask....as ...:freakyPlan be could be just blinkers....... with no driving ligts.....as the lens is muy muy important....... Onward......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Visited the great guys at San Diego BMW today....and saw that the lens on the k1000 and 650gs fits the build..... So I ordered a pair......should be shipped to me in about a week or so...... As soon as they arrive..... I will begin the construction of the housing....... Until then.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    :ear
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The picture on top of the thread has a mock lens in position....but is too big.... The turn signal lens of the two BMW's are small.....and come smoke.....and surprisingly was only $13.50 a piece....... I will build a Carbon fiber housing......on the hand guard..... then house 3-5 one watt luxeon K2 led emitter....... Found a place they have a sale at a buck a piece... Same units as the picture above....... Gonna be great....and fast....as the Denali D2's have arrived....and will take over the front stock blinkers position.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lenses came in today......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Led's were ordered as well.....so monday it begins with the mold making..... I will either use 4 Luxeon K2's with a resistor..... or 4 without a resistor. The stock blinker is 10 watt.... So if the 4 k2's work with out the canbus creating a lamp failure light...then great....if not the 5 should work..... Now it gets exiting...... The Denali D2's are begging to be installed...... Until then....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I began the casting today. It is important to recognize that the technique used here can be applied to just about any pressure casting....regardless of what your making. In my case I am creating a housing for the turn signal's to be mounted on the hand guards. I like the use of the pink foam rather than the white polystyro type...because it is harder and holds up better. First I cut a template of the lenses to be used.....
    [​IMG]

Then traced that outline on the foam with a scalpel......
    [​IMG]

Then you have two pieces....after they have been sanded on a belt sander.....and finally with hand use....
    [​IMG]

Then the angles needed to be created.......
    [​IMG]

Epoxy was then mixed.....
    [​IMG]

Then the workspace was prepped for the cast.....
    [​IMG]

Then the fun begins....... It is not for the faint hearted..... Well.. Actually it is not difficult... Just intimidating. Picture yourself laying a few wet napkins over a stapler.... Pull on one corner....and the other lifts...etc. Very easy to loose the calm....and throw it all away. But instead just take a deep breath....pick up a foam plank..... set in a few nails to serve as spikes to set the cast on........ Then sloooooowwwwweeelyyyyyy massage the composites into shape to the best of your skill.....
    [​IMG]

Then properly the toughest part..... To mechanically trap the composites in shape using electrical tape. :evil... The elasticity of the tape is the key here.... Too tight...and the whole thing just slides off..... to loose...and it does not conform. But with a fresh set of gloves.... apply the tape with care... Note the foam piece on the ends to hold the shape....
    [​IMG]

It looks like a franken piece.... But ease off....have a doublo.....and just wait for it to harden. I stick the cast under a 40 watt IR heat lamp....to bring the matrix to about 110 deg. F. This way I can go for the next step this afternoon...... Until then.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cured....... But with a corner fix needed..... As you can see... one corner the CF broke away. Step back...pour yourself another doublo.... Then onward...
    [​IMG]

Cut some CF strands...
    [​IMG]

Mix them with some epoxy...
    [​IMG]

With a toothpick...or other pointed object... Work the black matrix in to the corner on the inside..... Let it dry. It will form a solid effectively plugging the cavity...... Some more curing is needed.
    [​IMG]

This will now sit until tomorrow.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Post more! More pics! :D
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As requested.....:D..

Dug out the foam in one piece....
    [​IMG]

Then the other...
    [​IMG]

Then one layer on the inside... Some serious massaging here....whatever you gotta do to make it stick.....
    [​IMG]

This will then dry overnight.... then be assessed to see if it needs one more layer on the inside. It is now strong enough to step on by a human...... or bash it of a tree... With now 4 layers of 6 oz. CF, it is nor depended on how it made's with the lend. Guess we shall see that in the am..... Until then......:freaky:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Voila..... Two turn signal housings....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the work can begin on the internals.... Just got an e-mail from my LED supplier... and 3 days after the order was placed...they regretfully informed me that the K2 is no longer produced...and regretfully has none in stock...... E-commerce..... Grrrrrrrrr.... Minor setback....but I'l just look elsewhere....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright...... So instead of the Luxeon K2's..... I will use twin Luxeon Rebel Endo stars....
    http://www.ledsupply.com/endorstar-3up.php
    [​IMG]

Driven by one 1000ma puck......
    http://www.ledsupply.com/03023-d-n-1000.php
    [​IMG]

That Would yield just a tad over 9 watts of led power, which I know is a whole lot. But in building several of these setups. I found that the front blinkers have to compete with the headlights for visibility.... and sometimes blends in to easy. This is magnified at night. IMHO....the stock incandescent is barely visible. Note I have HID low and high.... So This will be a powerhouse blinker. As with everything you design from scratch... you don't know what you get until you try, and as plan B... I ordered a 500ma puck as well. This way I can just mount one Rebel star, and cut the output in half....to about 5 watts.
    Anyway worked on the hardware..... Trimmed the inside so the lenses fit....
    [​IMG]

Then bonded the lens striker plate.....
    [​IMG]

Then masked off the opposite end....
    [​IMG]

Mixed some epoxy...added cut strands of CF....
    [​IMG]

Then filled the voids.. That will be tapped and threaded for the lens mounting screw.....
    [​IMG]

:freaky:freaky

Erling
  14. señormoto

Oddometer:
    you're really good at two things:

making stuff from carbon fiber, and leaving us hanging! more pics! :D
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha-ha......:lol3.. Thanks.... There is only one more for today....
    [​IMG]

It needs to fully cure overnight before drilling and tapping....... Until then.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drilled and tapped for a M3 ss screw....
    [​IMG]

Then the following step is really dependent on your taste...and ummmm.... skill level....:D Either is a good solution. Either bond it to the guard... Or as I did....cut the guard and countersink the housing.... Either is fine. Perhaps the countersink will protect the unit a little better when you whack it up against a tree.... or the asphalt....:D
    Mark the rough out line with the template.....
    [​IMG]

Then out came the dremel...
    [​IMG]

Then you have the rough shape.....
    [​IMG]

Then I installed them ....and got the angles for the mount..... taped the back....and used a few dab's of 5 minute epoxy to hold it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the gap on the back side was taped using electrical tape, in prepping to fill the gap.....
    [​IMG]

I then mixed some epoxy...added the fine cut strands......and like a kid with play dough... patched the gap from the front......
    [​IMG]

Repeat with the other side......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  17. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    Looking Great!!! :thumb

Ryan
  18. señormoto

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sanded the transition...
    [​IMG]

Teaser.... he-he..... One tank of a blinker.......
    [​IMG]

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished by rubbing a little epoxy resin in the sanded area..... rather than the high gloss...which scratches easy..... this sort of satin finish holds up very well.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bad news are that it takes forever for ground ship from Vermont to west Texas.....and the led's will not be here until beginning of next week........" Sikke noget lort"... Not sure what to do now...... Summer is early in the desert southwest....and the kiddoes are suggesting setting up the pool......Ohhh....well.... Until then....:freaky
    :thumb:thumb

Erling