I'm coming to America, so where should I go ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tradey, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    After a year of trawling ADV working out the best bike & gear to use for my North American 'adventure' I better get an idea where to go ! So why not ask the people who live there ?

Time for my 'mid-life crisis' @ 50 so crack open my 1 year of long service leave and get the hell out of Australia. The plan is to arrive summer 2010 and purchase another F800GS (right hand drive version), option it up and go. Of course that is provided the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service grants me a longer tourist visa than the standard 90 day limit.

I have a base in Las Vegas and another in North Carolina so I thought start on the west coast and head in a clockwise direction, possibly towards Alaska to start and across Canada then down the east side.

I have plenty of time on my side and would really like to hear your top 10 adventure motorcycle destinations, be it twisty roads, amazing scenery or even those special off road and remote places that you never forget about... and of course meeting some of you on the journey !

So come on ADV USA members give me your thoughts !

Geoff @ Sydney
  2. TemeculaRider

TemeculaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You lucky dog, you! Geoff, if starting in Las Vegas, consider going up through Wyoming, Idaho and Montana on your way to the AlCan and Alaska! Yellowstone, the Tetons, Tour of Idaho, Glacier National Park, Banff, then up to Alaska? How can you top that?!
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Utah :deal
  4. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One day long ride, or moderate two day ride to Yosemite Nat'l Park. Couple hundred to Lake Tahoe. Another stretch to Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park and Mt. Shasta.
    PM and I'll ride a stretch with you. Mid century old dudes rule, well, we did 30 years ago anyway.
  5. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    +1 and if you do go, Beartooth Hwy is a must do.
  6. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    Alaska. Every ADVrider wants to do it. Go on, you know you want to. :deal
  7. Spirit_Rider

Spirit_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bearthooth+1
    Glacier Park
    Yellowstone+1
    Black Hills
    Smokey Mtns
    Tail of the dragon

With a entire year see it all!
  8. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    'Always ask the locals' I say and thank you for planning half my trip already ! I will certainly take up everyone's offer of a 'ride-by' closer to my start date.

Although I have visited the states twice before this will, by far, be the longest road journey, so just keeping to the RHS of the road will be hard enough... :huh

We don't have a lot of mountains in Australia so regions with that 'wow' factor scenery are atop my list, not to mention those iconic 'Death Valley' desert scenes featured in lots of movies.

Keep those suggestions coming fellas !

Geoff @ Sydney
  9. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Vancouver Island, Tofino, Long Beach, the Kootenay Mtns of southeastern B.C.
  10. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    If it were me I would do it this way--I've ridden all of this (not at one time) except the trans Canada and Alaska---Lost Vegas to southern Utah--Moab area, cut east to Colorado Rockies Million Dollar highway around Durango, south to northern NM around Chama and Santa Fe. Cut back west to Calf coast take one all the way north, Crater Lake, Tahoe, Napa Valley, Yosimite, San Fran, Golden Gate. Back to one and hit coast all the way to Canada--Whistler etc. Alaska if you like--back across Canada especially the northern rockies, drop down and pickup Glacier--one day--then south to Yellowstone and Tetons, back norh to Canada and across to Cabot Trail and Fundy Bay, ferry to Newfoundland if weather and time permits. Back down thru Maine and Vermont, pick up Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway in northern VA--all the way to the Smokies, don't miss 129 the Dragon and Cherholla Parkway. Long boring transit From mid Tenn back to NM and Colorado. Most riding norh of Colarado will be limited in high country to June-Sept time frame. Calf coast is almost always good, NW can be cold rainy or snow outside of summer. Newfoundland will be cold even in July--ferry reservations and port hotels are a must. Just too much good riding in northern and high country for one summer.

11. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The possible destinations are endless so I wont try to suggest them. I will advise you to stay off the freeways at all costs. You cannot see America from the freeway. Even when crossing those allegedly boring great plains take the back roads. The little towns and people you will meet are what American is all about.

Yankee Dog
  12. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is great advice. For almost every Interstate Highway, there is a smaller, less-traveled, more interesting state or federal highway going the same way.

Jamie
  13. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One interstate I would not want to miss is I 70 West out of Denver, one of the best interstates I've ever been on:deal
  14. JT

JT Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mexico...
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    rocky mountain states in the summer - high passes are open. colorado, wy, mt
    (west) coastal areas in the fall - best time of year for weather. check out cali lost coast
    sw desert riding in the winter - temps are lower, snow up north. nm, ariz, so cal., death valley
    utah desert, big bend texas, baja & copper canyon mx in the spring.

there's so much more than i listed but here's a guideline.
    anything east of the rocky mountains is flat and boring.
    the west is the best.
  16. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with TemeculaRider and his recomendations. The southwest is pretty hot in the summer. The Northwest and Rockies are beautiful. The Canadian Rockies are also spectacular.

The middle part of both the US and Canada are pretty boring compared to the mountains.

Keep us posted. I'd love to ride with you for a stretch in the Northwest.
  17. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    This is really becoming an interesting project and as an ex tour guide downunder, I could see the amalgamation of everyone's ideas bundled into the 'USA - ultimate bike Atlas' tour or even a global version for each country.

Apart from the benefits to overseas visitors, out of region locals could also harness this information for their own motorcycle travels.

I think I might start throwing everyone's ideas into a Google Map and see how this could all be made useful, public and available in real time.

Geoff @ Sydney
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    About a year ago, I spent a week in Britain, though I didn't have a bike. I had a small rental car.

What I found most rewarding was not just the places I went and saw, but I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with people who'd I'd only known online. Almost every night I stayed in the country, I stayed with someone I knew.

Having local hosts was a great way to see and learn about the country.

You might consider planning a trip around people you know on this site and any others you frequent. Set up a host in each city and travel from place to place. Most people will be happy to show you a little bit about where they live.

Oh, and avoid the interstates. :D

Jamie
  19. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Take Sorebutt up on his offer. Within a days ride of his house are half a dozen of US's and Canada's premier National Parks, the largest Wilderness areas in US, outside of Alaska, and some terrific roads, both paved and forest roads.

Another concentration of Parks is southern Utah and the Four Corners area (Monument Valley,etc.) Lots of movie stuff. Canyon de Chelles was one of the most dramatic canyons I've seen, and another movie site.

The other best area I've been to, is northern California. Yosemite to the Redwoods Nat Park to Crater Lake in Oregon is very scenic. I recently took Hwy 36 across north Calif., from Mt Lassen Park to the coast, and it took me two days. Wow, what a twisty road. It wore me out.

Most of AZ,UT,NV, are a bit higher than many expect. In summer it may be hot in the daytime but things are cooler at night. The Great Salt Lake is near 4000ft and a lot of valleys are 5000ft thru this area.

Have a terrific trip.
  20. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I've now started looking to buy my F800GS (right hand drive model) for my visit but don't quite understand your registration processes in USA. Unlike in Australia where you walk into any car or bike dealership, throw down your money and half an hour later you are out the door with new toy, number plate, rego sticker and registration papers, it doesn't seem that easy in USA ??

A California dealer told me they mail you the number plate and title around a month later ? They also let go that California on road costs are higher than other states. I chose CA as it's the first state I come to after swimming the Pacific, however my west coast base is in Las Vegas, so maybe it's cheaper and easier if I buy it in my 'home state' to avoid title transfer issues.

Could anyone verify this information ?

Cheers,
    Geoff