I'm coming to America, so where should I go ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tradey, Oct 30, 2009.

1. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    California likes to bend you over, no grease even as a courtesy, and take your money for fees to help support our dysfunctional state government. Gee, I hope that wasn't blunt.:1drink
    If you can, buy in NV to avoid the extra fees and taxes. You'll also have an address there to associate the registration to...that is important. You should be able to sell the bike in any state when you leave. I don't think there's any such thing as CA emissions on bikes but, I could be mistaken.
    In CA, the dealer will provide you with temporary registration that you will carry on the bike. I assume NV is the same.
  2. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    My favorite places in America:

Grand Canyon
    Zion National Park, Utah
    Saguaro National Park (I'm biased, living in Tucson, this is my backyard...but still many people are entranced by our large cacti)
    San Francisco
  3. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I just received a reply from a Nevada dealer and he said I also need a Nevada motorcycle licence to purchase a bike in their state, but I would assume I would need to be a resident. I have friends there but none ride bikes.

By the sounds I may have to do further investigation into finding a more co-operative state government without as many 'hoops'.

Geoff @ Sydney
  4. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Well I might be coming to America - but maybe not on a BMW ! I have been informed by a BMW dealer that they cannot sell me a motorcycle as I am not a resident in their state, despite the fact I will be based there and staying with friends.

They said this was a BMW policy to prevent residents hopping states to get lower prices or taxes than their home state. Seems fair to me, but they don't appear to have a policy for tourists like myself coming to spend copious amounts of money in their economy.

So unless I can get someone at BMW to address this issue, I'll either have to buy another brand or just try Canada or Mexico or airfreight my own bike in..

In such a free market economy like America, I found this quite bizzare....

Geoff @ Sydney
  5. werewasi

werewasi Guest

Can any bods who respond to Tradey lists as many states as possible so that we can see which ones don't permit you as a NON resident ( but taking into account that you're a tourist) to purchase vehicles in them.
  6. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be a BMW policy out there, but it sure aint around here. I live in Alabama and I know for a fact that dealers in Tennesse and Georgia would be quite happy to sell me a bike.

yankee Dog
  7. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Geoff,

I'm very new to this forum and you've been getting some great advice. I'm in North Carolina and have traveled extensively in the US for many years. I have Garmin's Mapsource on my computer and, if you happen to be using that program, I'll be more than happy to e-mail you a .gdb file I call Favorite Rides. It's a collection I compiled over several years. PM me if I can help you.

Mike
  8. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Yankee Dog. It can't be a policy everywhere. I just bought an 800gs from the dealer in Daytona Beach, Florida. They didn't seem to care at all that I live in Alaska. One thing that may make the process easier is to look for a good low mileage used bike. My guess is that any rules like the one you ran into don't apply to used bikes the dealer has taken on trade.

Tradey, if you make it up to Alaska this summer drop a note onto the Alaska regional forum. There are always a bunch of us looking for a reason to get out for a ride. If you can plan it so that you are in Dawson City Yukon Territory on June 24th and 25th you'll find 150 or so dual sport riders invading town for this year's Dust 2 Dawson (D2D) gathering.
  9. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live on the border of Washington and Idaho. The BMW dealer is in Washington. There is no problem buying in Washington and living in Idaho. Most states have an agreement that you pay sales tax in the state you license the bike. The sales tax and registration/license fee is pretty high in some states. Idaho is fairly inexpensive compared to a lot of states.

Here are a couple of things you need to check on. You probably have to have an address or residency in the state where you license the bike as well as a drivers license. Most states require a motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license, which requires a safety coarse. They usually recognize an endorsement from another state, but I'm not sure another country.

I would recomend picking a state that is handy and e-mail the transportation/license dept. and tell them your situation. Let them give you the answer instead of us because we don't know much. Most of the smaller population states have license departments that give better customer service.
  10. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Nevada DMV have been fast and helpful and are happy to have me as a guest ("taxpayer"). I received a response from BMW USA customer service and they do not have a policy of preventing dealers from selling bikes to customers in other states.

So I don't understand why this dealer is not interested in my foreign cash, maybe it's all too hard for them. Anyhow I have been in contact with another dealer in Nevada and they have been very helpful so far and happy to sell me a bike, so despite the extra travel involved they look like getting my Aussie Dollars !
  11. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you seam to be getting this all worked out.

If you need a knowledgeable biker to ask questions here in Las Vegas, PM me. I would be happy to help.

I would also like to buy you a burger and beer when you are here, and might be available to ride along a bit, if you want the company.

Also, the DMV here gives you the plate and registration right across the desk when you pay, but the tittle can take a couple of weeks to arrive. Not that that will be much of an issue.
  12. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I was told when you buy a bike in California the plate and title can take around a month to send to you ? Here in OZ, you plonk down your cash and ride out with bike, plate, title, insurance and registration label and "we'll see you at first service"... it's just so much easier and you don't need a motorcycle licence to BUY a bike, just to ride it !

Different countries different rules and thank god we only have 7 states downunder, I couldn't imagine having to deal with 50+ different sets of statutes... maybe that's why there are so many lawyers in America - LOL !!

Geoff @ Sydney
  13. mpanther

Oddometer:
    By "here" I meant in Las Vegas, NV.

I have lived in more than one state that shipped the plate. that sucks.

I would clarify everything with the BMW dealer you are working with just to be sure. a New bike may be different. (I have never bought a new bike. lol.)
  14. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:
    I agree with mpanther that we would be willing to help with whatever you need. If you buy a used bike here in nevada you get to sidestep a bunch of red tape, and if you buy it from a private party you only pay the registration, no sales tax. :evil

As far as rides, the sky is the limit. Tons of dirt roads here in the western states, but keep in mind you will be here in summer and the desert is HOT! I have done death Valley in the summer and I puked.:rofl I am used to the heat, I am a fireman here and wear the gear in the heat, being from australia I am sure you can relate. Close to Vegas is Yellowstone, Death Valley, Zion National Park, Utah is awesome to ride in as well as Reno Tahoe area in northern Nevada. Plan on going north in the summer, the southwest is beautiful.....and hot. You stated that you have friends here so I assume you have a place to stay, but if you need a garage and tools I have both. I am riding to prudhoe bay in alaska on may 26th and hope to be back by that same time in june. Hope to see you in Vegas and I will buy the beer.
  15. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Guys you will certainly be atop my list when I hit town ! At this stage it will be a new F8 from the dealer in Reno who have been very helpful and assures me of no issues as they have done it all before.

Even buying new and clocking up a years full of miles and reselling before heading home sure beats the rental option and I will be a long way ahead.

My USA friends arrive here in Sydney on Christmas Eve and know nothing about my planned trip, so it's all a surprise and once they are onboard another avenue of 'help' opens.

By the way I hear American beer is really 'watery' and 'tame' and was wondering if I should ship in a container load of good Aussie beer for my stay ?

:freaky
    Geoff @ Sydney
  16. mpanther

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, you don't Have to drink American beer while here. we Do get some good stuff imported. Plus we have some really nice mirco-brews.
    But if you wanted to ship a container of good Aussie beer up here for yourself. I would be happy to show you how much you underestimated the amount necessary. :evil
  17. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tradey,
    I wouldn't ship any Oz beer over here. My experience is that it makes everyone start talking with a strange accent:freaky
  18. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry too much about the accent, but when they start driving riding on the opposite side of the road....:eek1
  19. TXgruver

TXgruver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll send you an address to ship the beer to for safekeeping :deal

In Texas: Big Bend in the wintertime, Hill country.

And don't overlook the Ozark's in Missouri and Arkansas. Some of the best riding paved and dirt in the whole country.
  20. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be glad to hold your beer for you. Make sure you ship plenty.

Head north from Reno where it is cooler and the scenery and mountains are incredible. The Canadain Rockies are also impressive. You can folllow twisty roads along rivers or mountain roads surrounded by timber and snow capped mountains. That beats cactus any day.