I'm coming to America, so where should I go ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tradey, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    This is absolutely correct. I thought I would not say that about an interstate but was amazed the first time I rode it and have several times since.
  2. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need to take interstate. There are lots of secondary roads.
  3. snakebasket

snakebasket n00b

Oddometer:
    I did a tour o fthe US a couple of years ago, and found buying a bike difficult. FWIW. I went with 3 friends, and I tried to buy 4 new bikes before we travelled whilst I was on holiday in the States. In the end it came down to as I wasn't resident, or didn't have a US license it became very difficult. I even tried going into a Harley dealership (Dayton Ohio, I was visiting the Air Museum), and said could you sell me 4 Ulysses, and after many phone calls they couldn't legally do it?????? When in Texas I went to a Triumph dealer, and they looked at ways of treating it as an illegal immigrent buying a bike, which appparently is possible?

In the end I shipped my Tiger over, as the other concern was insurance, whilst you can get cover, it was unclear as to how relevant it was, as I didn't have an address (other than the hotel of arrival), and as I was in and out of US and Canada (Alaska...etc.) I just felt more secure with my own bike and proper insurance cover.

Going back to Canada/US in 2012, hoping to start Toronto, then Newfoundland, Labrador, and west to Inuvik / Dempster. Any idea of a good route from the Lab Highway to the west? Are there ferries across Hudson Bay? Will be starting in June, and heading west to Vancouver, down to Seattle, and East to Chicago, and then heading to DC, and thgen Dragon, Bike Museum Birmingham, and then to Austin......
  4. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    My friends from NC departed Sydney today and they were totally surprised and elated on my North America 'adventure'. They delivered all my online 'goodies' from the USA which saved me AU$1000 ! They have filled me in with a heap of information, with the insurance issue 'THE' most scariest so far ! You guys have so many different insurances to contend with I am getting professional help on that one...

So with my 'holiday house' now secured in Vegas I can start doing the physical side of my preparations with the next stop being the US Consulate here for my extended visa.

'God Bless America' - I love your Government Officials :wink:

Geoff @ Sydney
  5. wheels

wheels Practicing to retire

Oddometer:
    Tradey, check this site out (http://www.northbaysportriders.com/forums/) for places to ride in Sonoma county and further north. Love to show you around if I'm in town. Just north of the Golden Gate, we have tons of twisties and we do quite a few 3 day rides up north around Eureka, Hwys 3, 36, 299. Most who ride bikes in California know these roads.
  6. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can be in the San Juan Mtns of Colorado in late Sept for fall color it might easily be the highpoint of your trip. Last Dollar Road around Telluride, Million Dollar Highway, Imogene Pass....makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
    I am in KY, just north of NC, but if you were ever to get up here and need anything I would be glad to help. We have lots of good riding here, too. I am sure your friends in NC know all the good places down that way, but be sure and do some stuff in the Smokies (I like the Dirt Dragon better than the Dragon), and Linville Gorge is pretty amazing as is the Blue Ridge Parkway in late spring/early summer. Cavers Gap on Roan Mtn in mid June is one of, if not the prettiest, place in the east.
  7. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Geoff,

I am planning a trip to the US about 16 months out so there is good info in here for me. I want to buy the bike second hand due to funding and ease of the purchasing process.

Like you I also want to go longer than the 90 day Visa waiver which means applying for the extended 6 month Visa. Although I have been told that even with that Visa it is still at the discretion of the immigration officer that you get on the day... have you heard this as well?

Tail of the dragon has been recommended to me by a whole bunch of people, places I have found through my own research that I am keen on are Maroon Bells in Colorado (going to spend a fair bit of time there) and also Moab in Utah. Stay off the main interstates is the big advice that everyone keeps saying.

Damn good exchange rate for us at the moment too. Historically very high. I am going to contact the bank sometime over the next week and see how much an option to purchase USD at todays rate would cost.

Anyway, I am subscribing to this thread, you might want to have a look at mine in the sig.

Good luck.
  8. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Going back to Canada/US in 2012, hoping to start Toronto, then Newfoundland, Labrador, and west to Inuvik / Dempster. Any idea of a good route from the Lab Highway to the west? Are there ferries across Hudson Bay? Will be starting in June, and heading west to Vancouver, down to Seattle, and East to Chicago, and then heading to DC, and thgen Dragon, Bike Museum Birmingham, and then to Austin......[/QUOTE]

From Toronto if heading east, stay really close to Lake Ontario (hwy 2) and off the 401 (bumper to bumper cars and trucks travelling 140 km/hr, 24 hrs a day), In Quebec stay on the south shore and off the main highways, lots of small roads to travel and enjoy, ride around the Gaspe Peninsula (love it there)

The coastal road in New Brunswick is great and so is riding the St. John valley southward (stay on the opposite side of the St. John river from the Trans Canada, worlds biggest Lobster, axe and potatoe to be seen, as well as the worlds longest covered bridge)

riding Nova Scotia, Halifax is a tremendous city, visit the Annapolis Valley and see the worlds highest tides, the south shore is beautiful and historic. End up in Cape Breton and ride the world famous Cabot Trail (absolutely gorgeous, watch for moose on the road)

ride over to Sydney, Cape Breton to catch the ferry to Newfoundland, take the ferry to Argentia and go to St. Johns, try to be there on a long weekend and go to George St. for the 2 blocks of pubs and entertainment (July and August can be dry and very warm there and/or pissing down rain and freezing cold), ride across Newfoundland to Gros Morne Park and up to St Barbe, (check out RidingTheRock.com to contact some of the locals)

Catch the ferry to Labrador (make sure you know the ferry times for both ferries so you don't get trapped in the middle for a couple of days), when you get to Labrador there is only 1 road, the Labrador highway and it runs south (gravel but doable on a street bike) ride the Labrador highway down to Baie Comeau in Quebec on the St. Lawrence River.

ride the north shore, Quebec city is nice, Montreal is phenomenal city to visit (if you like cities)

from there somebody else has to become the tourist guide I'm afraid.

Hope you make it here, I live in the Annapolis Valley and will supply the bed, steaks and beer if you wish, drop me a line (make it early if you can, I don't read my mail here that much)
  9. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add, if your travelling the Labrador highway, the Newfoundland government has satellite telephones for you to rent in case of an emergency, put a deposit on it at one end and at the other end you get your deposit back when you turn in the phone. This should tell you something about how far out the Labrador highway is.

So little time and so much to say about Canada's east coast.
  10. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I would like to spend a month or so touring NE USA and the east Canada coast. What would be the best time of year to visit that area? Spring or fall? Is the August sun really intense?
  11. Blacknblue

Blacknblue "I'm outa' here."

Oddometer:
  12. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Utah offered some great riding and sightseeing with moderate crowds.

If you have a contact in NC investigate buying a motorcycle in that state. Greensboro NC local dealer helpful with paperwork and insurance, tag can be gotten same day.

The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in Southeastern US is a pleasant scenic ride with lots of options.
  13. Goggles Pizano

Goggles Pizano I'll B right back,promise

Oddometer:
  14. pearlblue1800

pearlblue1800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may want to look at the opportunity to ride on Hwy 93 in Alberta. AKA as the "Ice Fields Parkway". From Lake Louise Ab. to Jasper Ab.
    Most riders comment that this roadway is nothing short of spectacular. I too must agree.
    Depending on if you choose to go on this roadway you might also consider riding to Hyder Alas. From Jasper Ab. it is an days ride to Hyder. Two days if your really taking your time. The highway into Stewart B.C. past the Bear Glacier will forever stay in your memory as being fantastic.
    Hyder Alaska, is basically mid province on a inlet from the Pacific. However it is still "Alaskan realestate". Check out www.hyderseek2010. This is an Iron Butt Association Ralley which is taking place during the last weekend of May. Long Distance Riders from all over North America attend this event
  15. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Some of my favorite places (I could add a few hundred more in between each of these points but there too many road and too many sunsets.

1) Las Vegas - yuk
    2) Alabama Hills (where many Western Movies were filmed)
    2) Yoshomine NP - a must
    3) Grand Canyon – I don’t care for it but a must see at least once
    3) Monument Valley - most of John Wayne westerns were filmed there...always one of my favorites.
    4) Ship Rock (go to base of rock) – small but amazing formation
    5) Royal Gorge – total surprise
    6) Aspen & Independence Pass – scenic taste of Colorado
    7) Cisco, UT (Hwy 128 to Moab) – my favorite paved road.
    8) Arches NP – pretty amazing
    9) Canyonland NP – a must see at Sunset.
    10) Moab – time for some off-roading
    11) Capital Reef – long road but one of the most remotes parts of the USA
    12) Escalante – a lot of people favorite, one of mine
    13) Bryce Canyon – truly a surprise and mouth opener
    14) Zion NP – don bother without taking a 3 day hike. Best parts are on hiking trails.
    15) Jackson and Jackson Hole, WY - Tetons are a must see
    16) Yellowstone NP – watch out of the animals
    17) Lemhi Pass (off-road) – easy off-road
    18) Gibbons Pass (off-road) – easy off-road
    19) Lolo Motoring Hwy (very off-road) – my favorite off-road. Critical that you buy a NPS MAP or we’ll never see you again.
    20) Columbia River to the Pacific – just the beauty of America ) long 3, 4 day ride.
    21) Cape Disappointment on the Pacific – look west
    22) Lake Louise (wow) – truly beautiful
    23) Jasper NP (Alberta, Canada) – watch out for elk, bear, caribou, etc
    23) Icefields – on the way to Jasper
    24) Waterton Canada (one of my favorites) – My all time favorite view, have a cup of coffee in the hotel.
    24) Glacier National Park
    25) Missouri River Breaks (hard to get to) – a challenge to get to but part of the USA western heritage
    26) Beartooth Pass – east of Yellowstone
    27) Devils Tower – just weird, and an amazing rock formation. Giant Stump.
    28) Wall Drugs (might as well) – what the hell, your going by it.
    29) Badlands NP – everyone else has seen it.

7,500 miles total - 20-25 days.

20 more days you could go on to Alaska from Jasper.
    (no guns thru Canada, or we'll never see you again.)
  16. JediMaster

JediMaster Adam Lewis

Oddometer:
    I bought a used (DR650) in Utah back in October and as an Englishman went through all the enquiries you've done. A few complications arose but were quickly resolved.

I have a friend who lives in MA and was planning on using his address to register the bike. However, Utah requires the vendor to remove the tag at the time of sale but whilst the local DMV will issue a temporary tag valid for 96hrs, MA doesn't allow (so I was told) a vehicle from another state to enter on a temporary tag (licence plate).
    The vendor kindly let me keep the bike registered to his address and so I also used his address to arrange insurance online. I did this through http://progressive.com who have a 'tick box' for International Driving Licence and printed off the temporary insurance document on the spot.

At 0700 Monday morning I handed over the old title (which had expired the previos day) along with the insurance document and my UK driving licence. I paid the licence fee plus sales tax. Total $225.14. And by 0720 I was bolting the new tag onto my bike in the carpark.

All the route info here is very welcome as I'm currently planning the USA/Canada/Alaska leg of my RTW trip. The DR is a replacement for my troublesome F650 that I shipped back to Europe from Peru in October. I rode the DR from Salt Lake City to a friends house near Boston back in November and did as much prep work as I could before flying to Germany to collect the Beemer.

I'll be back in the USA at the end of the month to finish building the DR and continue my journey. March will see my 4th year on the road.

If anyone fancies a read, my website contains approx 150,000 words and 1300 photos.

Website - http://shortwayround.co.uk

Direct to photo gallery - https://shortwayround.smugmug.com

Keep the suggestions coming - m notepad is filling up nicely.

Tradey - I rode 36,000km through Oz. Drank plenty of piss but didn't find any beer! :rofl

Adam
  17. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    I'll be checking out your website later.

I imagine you have already been here, but if you come to Las Vegas this next trip, I have a Bed, Shower & beer for you.
  18. JediMaster

JediMaster Adam Lewis

Oddometer:
    MPanther

A few uncanny things have happened to me reading ADV Rider this afternoon...

Uncanny 1 - Earlier today I discovered 'Tent Space'. I was so taken with your offer of hospitality that I read out your posting to my sister's partner who was sitting at the table. Then you go and post this reply! For sure I will take you up on your offer. I'll be in touch nearer the time - many thanks.

Uncanny 2 - I had to login to post my last post (obviously!) but that's something I rarely do. When I did I had a message from 'Jammin'. Just as I pressed the 'submit' button to my reply I realised I had both his Alaska and Continental Divide trip reports open in other tabs and have been reading them on and off all week whilst researching my trip!

Cheers

Adam
    http://shortwayround.co.uk

19. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Today I finally lodged my application for a 12 month extended visa to the USA and what a marathon it has been ! Tomorrow I pay the US$131 application fee having already paid the $14 fee just to make an online appointment for the interview !!

So armed with my portfolio of evidence I front the US Consulate in Sydney in 2 weeks time. If I was staying less than 90 days you would just front up at the 'border' but even that has changed in the last month with a new online 'travel authorisation' procedure or in other words an old style visa application - back to future.

I suppose it's probably the safest option to keep out marauding undesirable's who drive on the OPPOSITE side of the road - LOL !:rofl

Wish me luck.
  20. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Best of luck with the red tape!

See ya when you get here.