I'm coming to America, so where should I go ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tradey, Oct 30, 2009.

1. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard that the women in Canada are looking for foreign lovers because the Canadian men are so bad.:rofl
  2. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    I guess those Aussies have to get pretty good. as they are traditionally short of the fairer sex down there.
  3. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    In the USA does anyone know if you get BMW Roadside Assistance for 2 years with new bikes like we do in OZ ?
  4. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    I'm not sure..I think it's three years..the warranty is for three :D

Don't forget The Great Lakes..it's bloody beautiful up here in the summer..really Drop me a line if you get up into Wisconsin..we could show you some good spots to see..by dirt/road or both..

As far as the Visa Goes..if they don't give it to you..just stay anyway..what are they gonna do..deport you? :lol3 I don't even see a situation where you would be asked to see your papers unless you really messed up and got a DUI or something. You could always come over and then hit an embassy or whatever and ask for an extension then..there's gotta be a way. I've never in my entire life of travels..and they are vast in the states..seen a live immagration agent outside of the border crossings and down by texas/arizona/southern california..and those are places you don't wanna be in the summer..and brother your accent aint the kind of accent they are looking for:deal

eDit: sorry..missed the post on the visa..have fun man..trip of a lifetime..the states have to be one of the best countries in the world to travel..you kind of have it all..every kind of scenery you can find..if nobody said it..try not to ride after dark..we got drunk drivers..lots of em..and lot's of animals..big ones..especially in September..and they can be smack in the middle of a small to medium sized city and they can get ya..
  5. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Hey if you want ADVenture then Australia is a great destination, we have 15 of the top most venomous snakes in the world, the top 5 most toxic spiders, a population of 22 million people and 25 million kangaroo's !

Firearms - TOTALLY BANNED unless you wear a uniform or drive a tractor. So that reduces the ADVenture of not being shot.... ! (and where am I heading in a few weeks :eek1 ?)

Australia is actually a very safe country. More people die from smoking related diseases than shark or crocodile attacks :evil:evil:evil !!!

Come on down !
  6. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    But becoming a customer with a particular bike dealer is proving illusive at the moment, so I am starting to question whether there was or still is a GFC going on in the USA ?

I ordered my F8 three weeks ago but the dealer seems in no rush to accept my deposit, so maybe it's too hard selling a bike to a foreigner or does the FBI think I am laundering proceeds of Australian crime ?

So maybe the best way to deal with this problem is to walk with your feet - the problem is, the next nearest BMW dealer is a couple of hundred miles away ?
  7. Spuds

Spuds On my way home

Oddometer:
    A BMW dealer that was slow to sell a bike sounds strange to me. I'd try a different dealership. The one near my home has always been up-front and square with me.

If you need a U.S. address to register the bike shoot me a PM and let me know, also, I'm only 15 short miles away from the U.S./ Baja border crossing so if you want to pre-ship any gear you can store it in my garage as one more box of stuff in there won't make any difference.:rofl
  8. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    You would think any dealer would welcome a purchase in this current financial climate, especially in the USA. I have decided not to pursue the NV dealer any more as I could not imagine the after sales service if this is atypical of their pre-sales service. For what ever their reason, I would of preferred a definitive answer, even to the effect, 'we don't like suicidal Oztralians who drive on the wrong side of the road' :rofl

Having spent a day online checking out second hand bikes I am confident of finding a suitable F8 at a reasonable price, even a few on here in the Flea Market. Also spotted a few of last years models a couple of dealers are discounting heavily.

Maybe when I arrive I'll just walk into that dealership with a brown paper bag full of cash and say "I'll take that one please" - then see what they say....
  9. Groovydaddy

Groovydaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you come to Tahoe and pee in the Lake. You can camp, gamble and whore it up all in one place!
  10. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Taho - I can see a stretch of water near Reno where I plan to visit some inmates, seem's like a nice creek to get wet in. Maybe I'd have better luck buying a JetSki instead... it too could get me to Alaska !

After posting my previous entry above, I received an email from 'The' dealer within minutes requesting a copy of my drivers licence for some reason... but they might of left their run too late. Looking at different options now.
  11. mpanther

Oddometer:
    As we talked about earlier,
    I have been following up on the options I have.

I sent you a PM.
  12. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    My efforts to buy a new F800GS are rapidly diminishing as I try to overcome the hurdle of BMW bureaucracy which prevents visitors / tourists / non-residents from buying a BMW in case they may export it overseas ?

So without being able to provide any proof apart from swearing on a bible or similar religious artifact I have sent this email to BMW USA 'customer service' in search of a solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear BMW,

Back in November last year I enquired with your department about buying a BMW motorcycle for my one year vacation in USA. I am a citizen and customer of BMW in Australia. My original enquiry and your response are quoted below. [Not on this post].

The sales person, Steve Avalos of BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas needs confirmation that I will be registering this vehicle in Nevada and not re-exporting this vehicle.

I am staying with friends in Nevada but cannot provide the above proof.

The dealer's response is as follows:

"This is BMW North America regulation for non-export of any new BMW Motorcycle the bike must be registered in the United States in order for me to sell you a bike. I am not at risk of losing my franchise!"

I would dearly like to buy a BMW for my trip, but there seems to be a level of bureaucracy preventing me from doing so and I would like someone to intervene and clarify this situation as soon as possible please.

Regards,
    Geoff Mason
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
  13. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't quite understand their point. For example, unless something has changed very recently, a Canadian can go down to the U.S. and buy a BMW motorcycle and bring it back to Canada without the bike ever being registered in the U.S. and without somehow swearing on the Bible that it would not be exported from the U.S.. That's not to say that the paperwork is not a bit of a pain; it is. For example, to register the bike in Canada, a buyer has to obtain, from BMW, a letter stating that any applicable recalls on the vehicle have been performed. BMW Canada hoses a buyer of a U.S. bike $500 for that letter. Clearly that's to encourage Canadians to buy bikes in Canada.
  14. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    The reply from their 'Customer Service' department:
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Enthusiast:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA. Since your inquiry is regarding a sales issue, we suggest contacting your authorized BMW dealer's management.

The sales manager at your preferred dealer has the expertise to provide you with dedicated support to fully address your concerns, and is also focused on ensuring your satisfaction. Should you need to access a list of our authorized BMW centers, please visit our website at: www.bmwmotorcycles.com, and select “Find a Dealer.”
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The problem IS the management at this dealership.
  15. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll admit to not having read the entire thread, but have you contacted any other dealers?
  16. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I took BMW USA's own advice and changed dealers and what a refreshing change that turned out to be. Lane Swall at Sierra BMW in Reno could not of been more helpful - I have sent the deposit today !

Insurance was a lot easy and I found a great broker via the Progressive Insurance website. Barry at Stevens Insurance fully understood my needs and explained your complicated insurance system and along with the Progressive website I tailored a package to suit my needs and budget.

:clap

My god...... I'M COMING TO AMERICA
  17. mpanther

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

Are they shipping the bike down or are you gonna pick it up in Reno?
    A flight to Reno is likely cheaper than shipping it.

One way flights on the 7th are currently running about $100.
    But check the flight times.
    Some are routed through southern air ports and take 6hrs, others are through Salt lake city or San Francisco and take 4hrs.
  18. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the MotoGP at Indianapolis at the end of August.

General Admission tickets easily available race day.

As you travel, just post up in each regional forum. Lots of people love hosting other travellers.
  19. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Having to buy out of town is inconvenient, both in time and cost, but when you have no other choice of dealership, you just have to do it. The Las Vegas BMW dealer did not understand my situation and appeared 'obstructionist' and I got the impression it was too hard to deal with a foreign tourist, even one that spoke 'English'.

Despite their claim they could lose their franchise if a bike gets exported, no other dealer I enquired with had the same concerns. In fact I had the complete opposite attitude from Sierra BMW - go figure...

I can get a $69 airfare from Vegas to Reno with Southwest. The ride back to Vegas will be a good short test where I will set the bike up with help of fellow inmate Mpanther. This should work out well as I can take the bike back to Sierra for it's first service as I head north to Alaska via D2D.

A fine and warm day in Sydney today, unfortunately I have to go move furniture. Back to reality for a few weeks...
  20. mpanther

Oddometer:
    I was wondering why I couldn't find any direct flights.
    Looks like Southwest has that route. :D

And $70 + 1.5hrs is Much better than $100 + 4.3hrs.:lol3

If you are staying here for one night before you fly up to Reno, I can get you to/from the airport and offer a bed for the night.
    Just let me know.