I'm coming to America, so where should I go ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tradey, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an awesome trip. When are you getting here?
  2. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    I may of jumped the gun when I said the insurance was quick and easy.... the broker emailed me today asking for proof of home ownership in Australia....what a bizarre request ?

So my next question is obvious... do you have to own a home in the USA to get motorcycle insurance ? If so and if insurance is compulsory, owning a motorcycle in your country must be a very expensive hobby, only for rich people !

So I am a little perplexed what the insurance company is going to think of a Land Title document bearing the coat of arms of Australia with a Kangaroo & Emu atop the page ? At least it has my name on it and a lot of facts, figures and co-ordinates that NASA would have trouble deciphering it ! :huh

Maybe I should of gone to Europe after all.......
  3. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Shit, I've had insurance without an Address before!

Did he say Why?
  4. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The insurance companies have bizarre ways to figure rates. Your credit rating and whether you own a home have to do with your rates. I guess according to their research that those people must have fewer accidents.
  5. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Home ownership translates to maturity and responsibility. Same thing for kids who start driving get a discount for good grades.

He's looking to find you a discount.

Probably owning a home is proof you will eventually leave, thereby being able to justify the short term quotes.
  6. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Well there's no doubt about my maturity, as my birth date is on the application form but as for 'being responsible' luckily they didn't ask for a copy of my driving or criminal record as that would of taken days to fax ! :huh

Buying a home down here is an expensive exercise, I financed mine with six ATM's and they're still sitting in my garage :lol3

I have a preference for BMW motorcycles and Caterpillar front end loaders.
  7. mpanther

Oddometer:

Well, considering the hassle you have had with buying a BMW here, I'm out for helping you buy a CAT.:rofl
  8. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, I took my F8 for it's last ride before it goes into storage during my absence. I rode two hours south of Sydney along the coast to visit my GP. (Good doctors are hard to find and Dr Mark is also a friend and customer).

I went to get the 2010 flu vaccination and blood test results as part of my physical and happy to report nothing of major concern apart from a lack of Vitamin D and was told to get more sunlight. No problem, I will be outdoors a lot in the next 12 months !

My Garmin Zumo 660 GPS was sending me off course into all weird directions and this started to worry me and a possible concern. A quick diagnosis in the waiting room discovered I had ticked 'avoid motorways' and 'highways' - good for USA travel, lousy for local Sydney directions !

Heading back to Sydney all was well with the GPS. I still want to get some USA maps as there's nothing like a big A4 sheet of paper which puts little LCD screens to shame... hey maybe there is a good use for Apple's new iPad after all !

Today was important as I introduced my 'replacement' to all my customers as when running a single person business, trying to escape for a year presents a challenge... so it was imperative that I hand over my businesss to someone willing and capable of maintaining the level of service my customers expect (so thank you Brad if you are reading this).
  9. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't realise you were running your own business that you have to put aside for a year... must be hard handing over the reins... good that you got the clean bill of health!

I'd be buying up those USD at the current rates too. Actually I am trying to find a financial service that will let me purchase an option to buy at the current rates in may next year. I don't know if this rate can hold out forever.
  10. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    24 hours to go and I leave for the USA, 5 years in the making and a serious year of planning and I can't describe how I am feeling ? Am I excited ? Am I nervous ? Am I anxious ? Everyone around me is really excited for me, but maybe when I set onboard a plane it might sink in.

Sierra BMW have my F8 primed and ready, my holiday house base in Vegas is all go and my ADV mates across the country are ready. The container of Ozzie beer arrived by boat two weeks ago and that's in safe storage, so pretty much everything is under control.

My only concern is the airport farewell and some tears and emotion will no doubt flow, but funnily I think I will miss my best mate Chippa, so I better spend some time with him tonight and take him for some extra laps around the park... (Jack Russell 'Terrorist').
  11. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe flight! I find airports with all the people coming and going tend to bring me into the moment that is leaving for a new adventure.
  12. mpanther

Oddometer:
    Anybody heard from Tradey?

I have not had any indication he has arrived here in Las Vegas or picked up his bike in Reno.
  13. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Well firstly a big thank you to all the ADV contributors and especially mpanther for your assistance, without the great advice I would be more likely be in Europe now. I finally have a bike too ! Picked up the F800GS from Sierra BMW in Reno on Saturday, christened it the 'Orang-a-tang' with all the orange bits and black panniers. It rode OK down to Vegas except for a funny front end vibration around 35mph and some strange 'zinging' noise possibly coming from a phantom black cannister under my right leg ?

I have 450 mile on it already and first service due at 600, so that could be coming up pretty quick. Got my camping gear organised through REI and that worked out OK, tested the tent in the garage this afternoon and that was a little challenging, swapped my sleeping bag for a larger size as they gave me a 'S' size ? No problems there.

Nevada DMV is in the dark ages, spent 90 minutes waiting to get bike registered, there were over 100 people in front of me - UG ! Eventually my number was finally called (after someone gave me there ticket which was 10 lower in the queue) and in just 10 minutes I was done, so go figure ! (Never ever complain about NSW RTA ADV AU members !) This 'Gubment' department sux and it's an insult to the constituents of Nevada, you deserve far better. Now I understand why it had a snack-bar and a 'defribulator' on the wall - you could die waiting !

Bike parts and spares tomorrow and all I can say so far is BLESS THE GPS GODS - what a life saver !
  14. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tradey,
    welcome to the states. Nevada is brilliant compared to California! Give a pm if you come through Tahoe or Sacramento.
  15. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer: