I'm impressed with a $19 clip on screen extender

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ArmyStrong, Mar 12, 2018.

1. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation and the link. Ordered one as well
  2. schrod

schrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried this on my '97 F650 with stock windscreen and it was a total fail. The bracket ended up being right at eye level impeding my forward view. I made it about a mile before I stopped and removed it. For the price though it was worth a try.
  3. TheToxicWaltz

TheToxicWaltz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried fitting one of these on a Tiger 800 XC? The stock windscreen has sort of a "V" design. Or can anyone who purchased one weigh in on whether it looks like it might fit this?

[​IMG]
  4. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    want to sell it?
  5. mtnlove

mtnlove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up one of these on Amazon for $23.99 and free shipping through Prime for my Super Tenere. Put it in for a quick ride to the grocery with speeds up to 70mph and man what a difference and I haven’t messed with adjustments to speak of. Breaks up the dirty air nicely even on a crazy windy day here in Colorado. An after market windshield, Madatad bracket, and a new $600 didn’t make a difference at all. Great deal on this one to be sure!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071FJV4CW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2
  6. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to test mine so I went and spent a week in the mountains for a proper evaluation.

It works well at slow speeds and technical stuff like at Deal's Gap.
    IMG_5742.JPG

It works very well at higher speeds too, it has greatly reduced buffeting and wind noise at 65-80mph on roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    (Whoops, I mean 45mph)
    IMG_0130.JPG

Overall, for $20-25 it's a total win.

-Jake
    flei, dsilver1007 and mtnlove like this.
  7. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the one I received after I assembled it and let it sit on the coffee table overnight was broken in three places this morning. I didn't think anything of how tight the screws actually threaded into the plastic visor itself, I guess it must have applied too much stress on it. I didn't have them very tight based on other users experiences. I installed them snug with blue locktite. I reached out the ebay seller, I wonder if they will replace it. Next time I will enlarge the holes.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I bought the $25 one on Amazon. Works perfect and the thing is actually damn nice.

visor1.jpg
    visor2.jpg
    visor3.jpg
  9. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    rd400racer likes this.
  10. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

This morning was my first try on the highway and the wind was blowing so hard that I couldn't get a read on it. I did go out for lunch and it seemed to be doing it's job in the 30-50 mph range. I need to tweak the angle a bit, but I do think it's a winner. My screen is the ZG touring.
  12. Colo_Rider

Colo_Rider n00b

Oddometer:
    It does fits my 17 Tiger 800 XRX. I just mounted it today, will try it out tomorrow.
    TheToxicWaltz likes this.
  13. HairyLeg

HairyLeg What a wonderful philosophy you have.

Oddometer:
    I got one of these.
    Tried it out.
    It actually does a surprisingly good job.
    CFCA19AF-4328-48A6-B52D-DC04877A5B44.jpeg

But I didn’t like the shape.
    It didn’t fit in with the bike.
    So I made a new screen from some scrap.
    7656D4C4-ADCF-4221-8C08-F928BC7B627C.jpeg
    That’s better (in my opinion).

Cheers, and thanks for the heads up.
    bobw and Richy like this.
  14. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hrrmmmmm. I've got an extra screen for my Tiger laying around that I could chop up and do the same with. Not a bad idea!

-Jake
    Richy likes this.
  15. TheToxicWaltz

TheToxicWaltz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I picked one of these up and it did mount fine on my 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Haven't done serious highway miles on it yet but so far it works really well, I'm impressed for the price. I'm 6'3" and have the seat on the high mount. Does a good job keeping the wind off the helmet, if I stand a few inches I catch wind immediately so it was easy to tell how big of a difference it made.
  16. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    I tried one exactly like this one. The vertical lines where the plastic was bent had a lot of distortion. Overall, the plastic used was not super high quality and optically suffered. I thought the bracket being in the center of my vision would be a problem, but the distortion from the plastic was a far more serious issue. The bracket is actually really well made. I was pretty impressed with the quality for a $20 item.

I like your solution. If you still have some scrap around and want to cut out the same thing for me, I'd gladly pay you! Because otherwise the thing really cuts down on the buffeting. I can ride with my faceshield open and it's even quieter than with it closed.
  17. HairyLeg

HairyLeg What a wonderful philosophy you have.

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a road test.
    1000km round trip to the Autumn Leaf Rally. Mix of freeway, high speed country back roads, down to forestry trails and winding mountain gravel roads.
    HUGELY successful.
    B8405153-3422-49B2-81C5-E7B8C4CB8A41.jpeg

The good points.
    1. I found I could ride at any speed with my visor open without problem or noise.
    2. My mate said he could hear me clearly on the Sena intercom with my visor open at 110km/h, without any wind noise.
    3. I look over top of the screen, not through it.
    4. The screen splattered nearly every bug, very few made it through to my visor, glasses or face.
    5. Shoei Quest helmet, which is normally noisy, was actually quieter with the visor open at speed.
    6. All the buffeting that I normally get on the freeway was gone (apart from below).

The bad points.
    1. My GS1150 Adventure screen normally moves around quite a bit. This add-on didn’t increase this movement by much, but it made it much more obvious, and a bit annoying.
    2. I have a fairly small “window” of clean air around my face. This is fine when riding through still air. When following a large vehicle like a truck, that creates a lot of turbulence behind it, this “window” seems to be disrupted and moves around a lot. It seems to result in worse conditions than with no extender (but this could just be that I am comparing this with the otherwise perfect conditions).
    3. When riding on rough gravel roads you realise the extender hides the road surface directly in front of you (potholes, gravel, sand, rocks etc drop out of sight behind the screen while still a long way off). This is particularly noticeable once the screen has developed a coating of dust and bugs. I ended up taking it off for one particularly tricky section, but at least it is quick to take off (My mate on a GS1100 with a lower screen asked to try it out at this point and loved it, even on this gravel section).
    4. Set in a very upright position (which I found worked best for me) the screen collected A LOT of bugs so it became difficult to see through very quickly.

I didn’t get to try it out in anything much more than a light shower of rain but I predict you will get water hitting this screen collecting in streams, running off the edges and flying into your face in large drops.

All up I think this is a total success.

Cheers
    bobw likes this.
  18. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    I put one of these deflectors on my TDM900 (fitted with Yamaha +145mm touring screen) last year as an experiment, with a view to buying a more expensive MRA x-screen. The improvement has bee so dramatic that I’ve never taken it off the bike since then!

I like the mod @HairyLeg has done and might do a similar thing myself.
  19. TheToxicWaltz

TheToxicWaltz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick update that this clip on survived perfectly and never even moved once for my 1000 mile trip, including 2 days of mostly off-road riding. I bought the following one through an Amazon seller (they also have brown and smoke options):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FJV4CW/

Day 5 - last shot at campground SMALL.jpg
    cyclopathic, Bors and bobw like this.
  20. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little update on cheepo ebay extenders.
    I have tried the center mount one and it is OK, but I have always liked my MRA X-creen better.
    And I should, as they cost a fortune for some little plastic bits.

With my new Connie 14 I didn't like the tinted MRA unit I had and wanted a clear one.

I noticed there are now knock offs of the MRA.
    I bought one from ebay for $21 shipped from California.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/183994520865

It is a bit heavier (screen is thicker) and the mechanisms are just a bit more notchy* in their use, but for $21 vs $170 I think its OK.

* Compared to my well broken in MRA, I don't remember if it wasnt that notchy when new.

20191126_163717.jpg 20191126_163724.jpg
    This is my real MRA X-creen for comparison.
    20191126_161352.jpg 20191126_161409.jpg
    Butters likes this.