I'm Nuts, They're Crazy!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... or is it the other way around? :scratch Anyway...

Thursday, October 2nd. It started snowing here in Glennallen around 9:00 AM. What was coming down today was being added to the 7 or 8 inches we had received just two days earlier, most of which was still on the ground, although the highways were just wet after a mild day Wednesday. All day long the snow came down steadily, with the roads becoming covered with snow and slush a little after noon. Sometime around 3:30 or 4:00 I was attending to some business in an office near the Glenn Highway, and glanced out the window to see a motorcycle traveling down the road. Knowing it couldn't have been a local, due to the fact that none around here are as loony as yer humble scribe, and even I had enough sense to stay off the bike in this kind of weather, I guessed that it had to be some poor sucker who got trapped between Eureka Summit and here, with no choice but to continue on.

As soon as my business was completed, it was time to pull out onto the highway and head east, toward the Hub, as that was the direction the rider had been moving. To my surprise, there was a second bike pulled up to the pumps, and both were fueling up, giving the impression that they intended to continue this madcap venture. Sensing kindred souls, I parked and walked up to these two stalwarts and began to engage them in meaningful dialogue.

To open the conversation, I offered this cheerful observation “Yer absolute idiots”, just to let them know we locals were a friendly bunch. Their looks let me know the same thought had already passed through their minds. After a few minutes verbal exchange I had discovered their names were Matt... and Matt. The destination was Haines, there to catch a ferry ride to Prince Rupert, and the ferry would be departing that port in just two days. They had both gone down at least once prior to their arrival in Glennallen, and the Happy Trails rear rack on the Dakar at the first pump had bent in just enough to prevent the fuel filler cap from opening sufficiently to add any unleaded. A few minutes work with tools, grunting and straining, and that problem was alleviated. But compared to the weather, the gas cap trouble was insignificant.

Realizing it would take the two a few more minutes to get themselves ready to travel again, I hurried home to get my camera, with plans to follow them up the highway to get some photos, as well as to assist if it turned out travel was out of the question. Arriving back at the Hub just as Matt and Matt were ready to pull out, I hollered over to Matt “Did you remember to tighten the rack mount bolt?”. Turned out that he hadn't, just as I would have forgotten it if I were in the same situation. So out came the wrenches for a quick turn or two.
    [​IMG]

While Matt was tightening the bolt, I grabbed a couple of quick shots of the bikes, now looking slightly less miserable than when they had first pulled in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was into the saddle and Northward, Ho!
    [​IMG]

Well... not quite so fast. First they had to make it out to the highway.
    [​IMG]

Then came the turn north – into the storm.
    [​IMG]

Making tracks – literally.
    [​IMG]

The wicked curve that Matt never completed -
    [​IMG]

The deciding factor -
    [​IMG]

By that time Matt had had enough. It was time to go back to Glennallen and hook onto the 16' flatbed trailer. We loaded the two bikes aboard, strapped them down tightly, and drove north and east until we found dry roads with no snowfall impending. The two Matts went on as far as Mentasta Lodge, where they spent the night (as I found out later). The next morning it was snowing there, but they left around 10:00 AM, and my phone showed a missed call from Destruction Bay later that day, so I assume they were able to keep traveling, and made it to Haines in time for their ferry.
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Wow! Crazy impressive!

And awesome photos as usual!

Where were these guys from and where had they been?

Good thing you came along whey you did!

Thanks for sharing. Mark H.
  3. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Wow... They'll have some stories to tell to their grandkids!

Good onya for helping them on their way and getting the photos.:clap
  4. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Hope to see their ride report....the Glenallen snow could not have been their first on that trip, given the time of the year.
    Glad you were of assistance to the riders Jack!
  5. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    They were from Anchorage, and are heading for Bennington, Vermont - the long way. California, then across the southern states so they can "find some place warm". :D
  6. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Jack, you are a damn decent fellow. I am proud to call you friend. Dick
  7. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty crazy leaving this time of year:huh Glad you found them when you did.
    I bet they won't want to see snow for some time to come!
  8. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    +1 on the decent fellow, and on the friend part as well, even though I've only met you once. Quality through & through.
  9. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Attaboys, fellas, but I didn't do anything that any of the rest of you wouldn't have done in the same situation. We all gotta look out for each other, and I've been helped many times, for which I am very grateful. :thumb
  10. Mr Bowler Hat

Mr Bowler Hat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics. I take my hat off to those guys........
  11. SSGTCHEVY

SSGTCHEVY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So for those of you know me (very few)... Im guilty of deciding to ride in the snow. Just yesterday I decided to ride from Wasilla to Anchorage (gov't hill). Hell Ive ridden street bikes in the rain before I thought to myself. Long story short I got caught in N. Eagle River and made it to the Arctic Exit before realizing I couldnt see enough to continue. Fortunately, for me as my wife who was following me in the car put it. I didnt go down and made it to the Ft Rich gate. There I was able to wait until it cleared enough continue on my journey. Good thing it was the last day the bases were open to motorcycles till next spring. I was able to ride through the base where at least I didnt have to worry about high speeds and traffic.

So do I get an Idiot award or can I put a snow flake sticker on my fuel tank?
  12. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:

Both :lol3
  13. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Good Guy Jack award.
  14. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your award Jack.... :lol2

[​IMG]
  15. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    it dose come with the award holder right.:deal :1drink
  16. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer: