Immobilizer reset question

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Fierce Beagle, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Fierce Beagle

Fierce Beagle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this morning I did the dumbest thing I’ve done in a while, I tried the spare key out that I just received from the previous owner. This spare key is not a KTM key but something that works in the lock but does not have a chip. I am imagine that the previous owner tried to rig up an antenna key somewhere on the bike and this was his spare. Well, I gave it a shot and naturally the bike doesn’t start so that won’t work. But now, my regular key doesn’t work and the immobilizer light Is on solid. Looks like the bike is in “don’t steal me” mode. How do I get it to reset, And get my KTM key to work again?

Attached Files:

2. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the immobilizer will reset after some time. 1/2 hour, 1 hour?
  4. Fierce Beagle

Oddometer:
    Two days later… The immobilizer light is steady solid still.
    So I watch that video, and I am concerned that using the orange key will do some re-programming to my tuning set up. I have the power commander auto tuner and fuel injection module. These were installed by the previous owner so I am not familiar with how to re-tune them if necessary.
  5. Fierce Beagle

Oddometer:
    So I followed the video with no change on reprogramming the old black key. The immobilizer light stayed on after the process.
    So, I noticed that after step 1 (orange key) and step 2 (black key), the light was off. I skipped step 3 (orange key again) and I hit the starter button.
    Been working fine since.
    DirtyADV and Boatman like this.
  6. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^. I'm going to try this exact same methodology tomorrow.

I have had considerable problems getting 990 started and tried using my orange key to activate my black key but it didn't work! Really getting frustrated about this and doing everything to not have to take it to the dealer.
  7. Fierce Beagle

Oddometer:
    I remember that I failed when I followed the sequence described, but had to skip like the last step or two and it worked.
    good luck
  8. PaisaMed

Oddometer:
    I just want to find out definitively if the immobilizer gets activated when the ignition switch is unplugged without disconnecting the battery prior, because, that's what I have done. If this is the case, meaning my immobilizer has been triggered, then I need to get the immobilizer reset.
  9. PaisaMed

Oddometer:
    I diagnosed my error codes as per the owners manual and here they are:

I inserted the key and counted the light flashes.

Fuel Injection Light, yellow
    code 81 "immobilizer control unit- circuit fault"

and

Immobilizer Red Light
    code 14: "malfunction in transponder of black ignition key"

Also, the Supermoto is a little different from the Adventure in that there are no wires (immobilizer pick up)on the black plastic ignition barrel cover. In fact, I cant find where the immobilizer wire is located. Any suggestions? 20200106_190035.jpg
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like your antenna ring is missing or has been moved. It's the plastic surrounding the key slot. It has a second set of wires coming off of it.
  11. PaisaMed

Oddometer:
    This just in....I just found my immobilizer ring! It is a black plastic tube that looks like it would go around the ignition barrel with two wires coming off it. However, several weeks ago, when I removed my ignition barrel, this was never present. Instead, I found a conventional black Zadi tube with the familiar "on", "off", and "lock" markings. The immobilizer ring must have been buried somewhere in the spaghetti of wires that I found when I removed the headlight. My bike is a supermoto and so maybe it's a little different than the adventure model where I believe the immobilizer ring is located right on the ignition barrel as I've seen in pictures.

My question is the following: how can I disable or reset this immobilizer? The two wires from the immobilizer ring that I found continue until they meet in a plug, can I undo this plug and disable the immobilizer?
  12. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, I don't think so. This antenna reads the content of a RFID chip that is in the key. If the chip isn't there, or the immobilizer isn't reading it because of a damaged or wrongly placed antenna, the ECU won't start the bike
    You'd need to reprogram the ECU so that it doesn't require a "green light" from the immobilizer unit to start the bike. I believe Thnikpad has found a way. I am not aware of anyone else having managed to do so.
  13. PaisaMed

Oddometer:
    Last night, I attempted to start my bike by holding the antenna ring close to my key and it turns over very weak and didn't start but I think that's just a battery discharge problem. So now I have to charge my lithium ion battery.

So, after all this, I don't know why that ring was not located around my ignition barrel as I have seen in pictures of other inmates . I think it has to do with mine being a supermoto as opposed to an adventure model. When I put this back together I'm going to zip tie the antenna close to the key barrel. I still would like to disengage this immobilizer system and just rely on chaining my bike up or a mean dog!
  14. PaisaMed

Oddometer:
    The antenna ring with wires coming off it. Thankfully, I did not unplug it as I think that could more immobilizer problems. 20200120_194659.jpg