imogene pass vs ophir pass

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by chriscam2, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I am in Telluride right now, it is raining, I'm on a 550lb R1200GS loaded with bags (2x cameras, DSLR, Drone, laptop) going up Imogene tomorrow.. Will report back. Hopefully.
  2. rickyc4

rickyc4 FF Rancher

Oddometer:
    I’ve done Mosquito Pass on my 690. Was not fun, but I made it Being older and wiser wanted to ask whether Imogene would be a pleasant challenge or a miseryfest? Skied the chutes above Tomboy Mine back in the 80’s , do like some high alpine adventures
  3. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Did he make it? Did he fall down the cliff? :hmmmmm:dunno
  4. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    He survived! The morning views were amazing...

[​IMG]

But once we made it over the top it cleared up nicely...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't see a problem making it up on a 690, there were only a couple spots where the big bertha had to dig in but mostly it was smooth sailing. Disclaimer: I take my GS to places it probably shouldn't go so comparatively Imogene seemed fine.. not a beginner ride on a big bike but doable for anyone with offroad experience.
  5. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Did Ophir today... so while Imogene is doable both ways on a big bike (both sides probably equally difficult) Ophir is at the moment a one-way route, at least for big bikes. The Silverton side is an easy dirt road up but the Telluride side is in worse shape than I remember it and requires some skill to go down safely. You can always just paddle your way down so still doable, but with a disclaimer. Going up the Telluride side would be tough... I'm used to climbing rocky hills and I'd give myself probably 1/5 chance of making it up on a GS - any little mistake would mean you'd have to stop and try to get going again which would be almost impossible.. or at least on my skill level, combined with 32" inseam on a bike with tall suspension..
    Merfman likes this.
  6. Roux-80

Oddometer:

My run at Ophir pass in 2015, the first ever big mountain pass I did. The main issue was loose rocks that just goes forever all the way to the top. :-)
  7. Gargantuan

Gargantuan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ride Ophir last year, by chance? Wondering if it's become much more difficult even since then - sounds like it has. I rode it a bunch of times last year (but only east to west) and haven't yet this year.
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I did and it seemed a bit looser this year but not by much.. Still a rocky SOB
    Gargantuan likes this.
  9. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a perfect run for a big bike, not too fast and ride within your limits but not too slow as to lose momentum. Nice video.
  10. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    That looks challenging but doable (obviously..) on a big bike, looks like the snow melt must have dragged down a lot of the large shale rock - this is from yesterday, the section from 3:45 - 4:00 is what made me consider it very difficult for a big bike to go up now..

11. Roux-80

Oddometer:

Yup....those loose rocks would be a real pain in the ass going uphill.
  12. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    I'm from eastern Canada, we don't have that type of terrain here, that was a first for me, I wasn't willing to look at the bottom :lol3 And with the elevation, the tenere almost got the same power as a KLR at sea level LOL!
    Merfman likes this.
  13. Hair

Hair no wants or warrants

Oddometer:
    One pass you can ride with your eyes closed. The other you wish that you could ride with your eyes closed.
    Phil4real and redrock88 like this.
  14. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did Imogene 2 up on a KLR when I was about 48. At 54 going single on the KLR I wondered how we did it because it was a lot looser and tougher. I did Black Bear the same year 3 times and thought there was nothing to it. At 60 I did Black Bear in the rain on my 990A and thought that was the dumbest thing I had ever done. It was a lot looser and slippery. You never know how good or bad the conditions are until you go. Ophir has more and bigger rocks on it than when I did it at 54. Be prepared to turn around.
    Merfman likes this.
  15. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I was just in the area with two buddies on big bikes. We only encountered one other group of big bikes, wonder whether it was you.

We liked Corkscrew and Cinnamon, didn’t care for Engineer out of Ouray.
  16. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Which way did you connect to Engineer from Ouray? FR 18/17? Yea that's a bitch going up on a big bike, we went down that way last year and knew better than going up it... Engineer itself isn't bad, we took a detour and went all the way up Engineer Mtn, that's definitely worth doing (a step up in difficulty on a big bike) - https://goo.gl/maps/Jq9htM4bWRP2

Corkscrew is one of my favorites, the switchbacks going up are fun and the view from the top is amazing...
  17. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we came from Lake city over Engineer, thought it was great until FR18 from mineral creek to Hwy 550. Where we just tired or was this a bitch?
    How does that bottom section of 17-18 compare to Imogene and Ophir?
  18. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I'd say going down it (Engineer to Ouray) is a bit challenging but not that bad, going up can be tough but still doable. It's probably a step up from Imogene, tougher than Ophir (east to west) and easier than Ophir going east..

All of this is of course subjective and depends on conditions, skill, bike, perception, memory... if you make it through one of these without dabbing you will always think it was easier than the guy who got stuck...
    Gargantuan and mikejana like this.
  19. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  20. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    This is the section of Engineer that turned us around.
    75A07FE2-FADE-4FA1-A07E-30DCF3E6F0BF.jpeg