Impact of the pandemic on motorcycle sales.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by klaviator, Apr 25, 2020.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would expect for motorcycle sales to tank because of this pandemic but that doesn't seem to be the case around here. I got some tires mounted at a local shop and the owner told me their service department is backed up by 3 weeks and he has been selling bikes. They had this sign out front:

[​IMG]

I called another dealer that I have bought a couple of bikes from in the past and was told that they were very busy. They seemed more concerned about a shortage of product due to the factories shutting down.

On the other hand there are some pretty good incentives from manufacturers right now.

I went by the local Harley dealer a week or two ago and they seemed pretty dead, at least from the outside.

It may be a while before we get some good sales figures but what are you seeing in your area?
    el Pete likes this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    The new mentality is.. " If Im gonna die. Im gonna die riding !" Lol
    NJ Moto, FMFDOC, sasho and 7 others like this.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brother in law went to a local dealer to buy a small motorcycle last Saturday and waited 2 hours. Said it was packed. I know the dealer they're never that busy.
  4. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A dealer close to me sold 40 ( forty ) bikes in the last 2 1/2 weeks. This is for them a new sales record, and it has happened despite stringent coronavirus precautions and restrictions in place at this dealership.

It's obvious that being cooped up has created a lot of frustration for a lot of people.

I reckon quite a few people are venting their frustration by buying stuff, in the manner of a sailor chasing women after being at sea for six months.

Human behavior is a funny thing - you never really know what people might do until they start doing it.
  5. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get the feeling I can't walk into a dealership unless I'm going to definitely purchase something, and this has and will likely continue to keep me out of them until something changes
    Eatmore Mudd and RebelYell like this.
  6. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work at a small Honda and Polaris dealer in a small town in Missouri. We're currently busier than we have been the entire 2 years I've been there. Motorcycle sales are meh at best but better than they have been. Side by side sales are about the same as they have been. The service department is more than a month behind, which is the worst it's been in my 2 years. I know not every shop is as fortunate, but we're doing just fine.
  7. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    About ten days ago the dealer I bought my last two bikes from had their biggest day ever. They sold over 30 bikes and quads and stuff. They were hustling all day long to get it all taken care of.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is uplifting. Should be a lot of low mileage toys for sale this winter.
  9. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is interesting to hear dealerships are surging... conventional wisdom would expect the opposite during this time
    CROSSBOLT, lvscrvs, racermx66 and 2 others like this.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    That's because most folks have this misconception that motorbiking is a luxury, when in fact..it's a necessity for life..

Most people are fools!!
  11. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Drop $1,200 on your average consumer and it’ll burn a hole in their pocket. Mix that with dealers and salesmen who are in the business of selling alternative realities. So a little sales boom wouldn’t surprise me.

I was in our local dealer on Saturday 8 days ago and it was quiet. The sales guy told me it had been dead for a month, but business had picked up that week with a lot of sales. Sounded like whistling in the dark to me.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
  13. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    Tons of used bikes going up for sale too (and a lot of other stuff), but not much in the way of price drop. I suspect that there will be a glut of bikes on the market in six months with a corresponding price drop. Lots of buyers are financing (still) and the newish/used market may wind up with a lot of bikes for sale as they try to bail out of their payments. I'm looking, paying cash, but not finding any respectable deals on the model I'm after.
    TheWhingnut likes this.
  14. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in Md, just bought a new bike Saturday. Had to make a appointment, but everything went smooth. The dealers service dept seemed to humming along. There was two or three other new vehicle customers in and out while i was there. One for a ATV, and one for one of those reverse trike street bike/ car things.
    There showroom was closed unless you made a appointment, but it was jammed packed with new bikes, looked like they had at least 1 or 2 of every model form the brands they carry.

I know at least one guy who is planning to spend his $1200 on a new bike. I would imagine the craiglist sales of $1000 bikes will be through the roof once the corona checks start showing up.
  15. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    DH - congrats on the new bike - what did you get?

Psychology is weird. I have been hording my cash and sitting in the house while friends of mine have been running to the home center and spending thousands on home renovations. So, it might not just be regular bike customers out there,maybe its people feeling pent up or having some crisis buying and they just go out and buy, and if so the market is big and MC sales could really jump.

My own personal strategy is to sit on cash and play it safe. I think used bike sales will just be more of the same we have seen. Decent used bikes will hover around their current prices. Those prices rarely seem to change.Owners will just put it back in the garage. In some cases, it actually makes sense to just buy new. An example is the leftover 2018 Goldwings that were being advertised for $17-$20k. The next best used GW's were $12k and they were an older generation and typically had a lot of miles.
  16. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cycle News has two short articles to address this. Yamaha is looking into remote purchasing and Kawi is offering home delivery.

I did a no $$ trade with a dealer back in early February and the new-to-me Boxer Cup was delivered mid-March.
  17. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 2019 Honda 450L. To replace my old XR400. I was going to buy back in early March, then the virus shit kicked in, so I waited so see how everything was going to shake out with the shut downs......luckily my industry as well as my wife's are essential. I scooped up a left over 2019 for $2500 less then the 2020, and they are identical.
    neanderthal, redneckK20 and klaviator like this.
  18. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful news.Good for them.
  19. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been to the local H-D dealer here two or three times in the last month. They were very busy. The salesman who sold me my Road King in early February said they were moving a lot of bikes.
    klaviator likes this.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Respectfully disagree.
    100% .
    I had another person say something similar to what you said when I bought my 2019 DL650XT Touring today.
    "Gee, they must have been grateful to get a sale seeing how things are so uncertain."
    I tried not to laugh in his face.

What's certain is that tomorrow is not guaranted. this crisis woke up a lot of riders and new riders.

If you are a working stiff, and the media hypes things up like it's the 11th hour, you are going to live a little bit more.

Dealerships are under a double whammy.

1. Usual Spring up keep.
    2. The life is too short , time to go ride crowd.

I called around before my purchase.
    Sales and business is great.
    I think they are making up for some mid to late March and early April sales, when the hysteria was pegged out.

Not everyone is laid off.
    And some of the folks who are know they have a job waiting on them.
    This is very different than 2008.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.