Impact of the pandemic on motorcycle sales.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by klaviator, Apr 25, 2020.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    You guys are both right!

Conventional Wisdom still applies but life on 2 wheels is far from conventional!

Bam... make peace..not war
  2. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing my part by buying a 790r today!
  3. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recreational sales are up everywhere. Bicycle sales are up, backpacking equipment is up, four wheeler and UTV's's are surging right now. It doesn't surprise me that motorcycle sales are climbing.
    I may not want to spend a lot of cash right now , but dam!!! I'm excited about how cheap and how much equipment will be on Craigslist in the fall.:clap
  4. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    Drove by my local Honda/Suzuki/Husky dealer one Saturday and the parking lot was packed with what looked like people loading new bikes on trailers. Can't go in the showroom so everything is done on line and sales are handled in the parking lot. They keep bikes that are getting serviced on the side of the building and it was almost two rows to the back of the shop. Glad to see they are busy.
    The_Precious_Juice and klaviator like this.
  5. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Darn it! This means no deals!!! :-( lol...
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki and BMW have some nice rebates right now. Depending on what you are looking for there are some deals out there.
  7. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    Just went by the dealer on the way back from Dunkin Donuts and saw someone loading a new CRF-450L on a trailer.:thumb Who knows, maybe more people prefer to buy this way.:dunno
  8. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM started 1.99 for 60 months on 790's today!
    klaviator likes this.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Interesting post...

I know a lot of car lots are offering very low interest. I know back in mid March, the week after the hysteria started in Montana, Subaru was offering zero % on interest. I was talking with a salesman while my cage got some fresh oil for the 2,400 mile journey east bound and down.

I part of me is thinking that they are trying to get rid of inventory in case things are really bad later.
    My 2019 Wee-Strom has a MSRP of $9,999, and they had her marked down $1,500. So $8,499. Then the added stuff.
    OTD came to $8,986. I still have to pay tags and title and taxes for my state which are 4.3%. TN sales tax is 7%
    I thought it was fair, and satisfied with the exchange.

Keep in mind the Wee-Strom is an amazing value.
    It's time for Kawi to improve their 2015 Versys 650. Well, in 2016 she got a gear indicator.

[​IMG]

I'm picking up the Wee tomorrow!!
    klaviator likes this.
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I would assume people forced to avoid social situations would crave a good motorcycle ride. If I didn't already have a bike, I sure would want one now.
  11. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    How one is thinking at this time might depend on what they see for the future. Many (most?) people are pretty certain that their jobs will still be there when it’s time to return to work, and with the extra money being given away might actually be making more money now, then they do when working.

On the other hand, my wife isn’t at all sure that the company she works for will ever reopen, we didn’t qualify for a stimulus check, and while she had planned to retire in little over a year that may no longer be possible because of the way the stock market has gone down. So we are watching our money pretty carefully right now. What money we are spending has been on the outside of our house...mulch, plants, trees, etc.

I had planned to reward myself for having dodged several health scares this past winter, and by finally dipping into my 401K, to purchase a new bike this spring. That plan has gone out the window. But I am very happy to hear that many others are going ahead and purchasing new bikes.
    bajaburro likes this.
  12. jbski

jbski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Local bike shop in Ontario keeps pushing new bikes out the door. Busier than ever with sales and in the shop. Couple thoughts on my end (not that they mean anything)....not much is going to open up this summer, but the roads and trails will be there. Most people sitting on a bit of extra cash from the government payouts, to extra $$ from not eating out at restaurants and all those cancelled family vacations that will not happen this year. And maybe just a bit of an eye opener that you only get one shot at this life. I’m also part of this craze, waiting on a new non current....the dealer rebates are pretty good right now, especially on non currents. No freight, pdi on top of the rebates make the bike I just grabbed the same price as a used one.
  13. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a new 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports for $9,500 out the door.
  14. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a new (2018 new) holdover Triumph Tiger 800 in El Paso on March 15th. The shop ,Viva Powersports, had quite a few customers and lots of bikes. Took delivery on the bike and rode away with a paper TX "plate" on the 18th.Then all the DMVs closed in both TX and my state of Michigan! So no real plate yet and have no idea when I will get the Michigan plate as DMV has been down since 4-1-20 .Paper one expires May 9. Only real problem with any of the sale. I love the bike. Already buying stuff to put on it. T Rex skidplate, 705s, GPS all on, Givi racks and Wolfman luggage from my last bike. 1875 miles on it now in NM mostly.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dealer where I buy my gaskets and special nuts for my tensioners said he was doing about 75% sales with about 66% of the staff. Service was strong.

Then here in Ohio it seems they are either ignoring bikes on the road or figure if we're on motorcycles we will be maintaining social distancing. We can pretty much go out and run around on bikes, just can't stop for lunch or pie.

We went social distancing for 3-4 hours yesterday, saw what looked like a 16th century castle/mansion in rural Ohio - no idea what the deal was, but plan to learn more - and took a break in Zanesfield at the giant boulder monument. Good day great ride.

Not what you expect in rural Ohio, by any means...

castle.png

Piatt Castle Mac-A-Cheek near West Liberty Ohio usually open to the public... but obviously not right now.

And the boulder - Kenton-Zane Monument...

[​IMG]

But alas... no pie and coffee to be had on the trip.

Actually found some countryside in central/west Ohio that wasn't pancake flat!
  16. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Well done.

The ATAS is a apex bike.

I'm just 40, so I got the DL650XT Touring.

My last touring bike was a DR650, so I need to pace myself. Lol!
  17. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    Went out for a ride Saturday and saw a lot of bikes on the roads. Some of the local county roads I saw more bikes than cars. Warmer today and saw a lot of motorcycles headed to the beach. The two Wawa gas station/convenience stores had their parking lots packed all day with sport bikes. Looked like a Moto America race was in town! Talking to a guy that works at an RV center and he said new trailers an motor home sales are doing really well. He has been swamped with work from people bringing their RVs to get serviced ready to hit the road. Most people don't want to stay in a hotel or don't think enough are going to open up.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I'm calling the cops; you stole that thing!
    HuntWhenever, Mikeeep and klaviator like this.
  19. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Last week I bought a new quad, visited several dealers who sell both two and four wheels. There was customer traffic in all of them. And they all claimed to be selling like hot cakes and worried about inventory shortages due to factory closings.

And yet, when it got down to brass tacks, I pitched them a lowball offer, and when they countered, I said no deal, take or leave it. Which they did. In minutes. On a highly desirable current model, with no rebates or factory price support.

I took delivery on the last day of the month. Didn’t see another delivery while I was there. I relate this only to illustrate that there’s often a gap between what people say, and reality. Anyone in the selling business is going to put their best game face on, regardless of the circumstances.
  20. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    $1.99 for 60 months? That's not even a hundred and twenty bucks. I'm buying one of them! :D

I'm in the market for e new to me used bike now but probably going to wait a month or two and see what happens. I think the current surge along with the inevitable economic crash/down turn will result in a lot of used bikes and price drops.
    andykeck, sieg and klaviator like this.