Impact of the pandemic on motorcycle sales.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by klaviator, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Clark Motorsports? Been there, in January!
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Missoula, Montana. Maverick Motorsports. I'd bought a used Honda from them last year; this time I wanted to schedule some work.

Talked to the sales-kid who sold me the Honda. He's a good kid, smart. I offered sympathies that he had to sit out the pandemic in an empty store (it was empty when I was in) and he said, oh, no, record spring, he'd sold a couple just that week so far.

I think people are just beat to the point where they're all saying, fuggit, I'm going riding - and IN STYLE!
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  3. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    also
    No, Carl's Cycles.
  4. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yes, and they will likely sell all of them.
  5. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    Stopped at the BMW/Ducati/Indian/KTM dealer today for a service app. Spoke to one of the sales guy, who told me a similar story, that sales are surprisingly excellent, and they are quite busy.
  6. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    Pinnacle - Bessemer, Al - 2 weeks back - looked pretty busy despite the "appointment only" sign. The 4+ salespeople were never off the phone the 1/2 I was in there. Signs are virtue signalling like everyone else - that place was hopping.

PHOTO_20200428_102716 (1).jpg
    klaviator likes this.
  7. MDAthlete

MDAthlete n00b

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread. Was just getting ready to post asking everyone what they're seeing out there.
    I'm in Maryland, and the inventory for decent used motorcycles is pretty poor. Anything decent on craigslist/Facebook market gets bought up within a day or so of posting.
    Everything else is either old, overpriced, or both.

Or, maybe i'm just picky...I've also been part of the more conservative crowd as far as spending on luxuries. Just trying to avoid another payment while i'm paying off another vehicle.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we should remember as well that MC's are relatively cheap to run,( no not my money magnet lol) something in the region of 125-500cc gets crazy mpg, is usually fairly easy to service and smiles per miles is off the chart.
    Glenn247 and liberpolly like this.
  9. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Dealerships in Atlanta are booming, mainly because people have no other recreational activities available. Salesman said they are also selling four wheelers like hotcakes. I did my part two weeks ago by trading a Street Scrambler 900 for a leftover Scrambler 1200 XC.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. My road has been buzzing with dirt bikes and atvs. There is a park at the end of my road that nobody watches over. Guys are bored. I actually hate it because they rev those 2 strokes WOT past my house, and they have their kids riding on the road with no helmets. I've thought of calling the cops but that goes against me.
  11. runpet

runpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went to my local multi-line dealer yesterday and doors were locked. Sign said to call for appointment. Went on their website and was surprised by the lack of new or used motorcycles they had for sale. But they had a shit load of ATV/UTV's for sale parked outside.
  12. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Bonneville was stuck at Southern California Motorcycles in Brea through March and April waiting for parts. I watched the Honda, BMW and a few other multi-brand dealerships near me close down. But calling this place weekly for updates, the service manager was nervously telling me "we're still open... for now anyway..."

My bike was finally finished two weeks ago, and when I went to pick it up, they told me that they are sending more bikes out the door than they ever have. They figured that since they were one of the only still-open dealers in the area, and with everyone holding a $1200 down payment in their hands, they were reaping the benefits.

Del Amo Motorsports, a large multi-brand dealership visible from the freeway on my commute, looked like they were shuttered for for a few weeks, with closed doors and empty lot. But, as evidenced by the overflowing parking lot I now see on my ride home, they look like they must be going gangbusters.
    klaviator likes this.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dealer I work with is doing great, especially with small off roaders. Parents trying to get the kids the hell out of the house!
    HuntWhenever and klaviator like this.
  14. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    Went to my local dealer to look at a Husky 501 supermoto. They had a deal going on so I went to just look, I swear! While there the show room had several people looking at bikes. Showroom wasn't packed with bikes and quads like usual. A young guy getting his first motorcycle was looking for a Honda Grom or the Suzuki GSX-R 250. The salesmen said they had 5 Groms coming in, 3 were sold. As I was there the shop van pulled up with a trailer full of Hondas. The guy in the service department was telling a customer with a Slingshot that they are booked solid and it may take a while to get to his ride. Saw only a couple of dirt bikes. Hope this trend keeps on going.:thumb
  15. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When perusing local dealers' websites, I bookmark motorcycles that are possible purchase candidates. Typically, those bookmarked motorcycles (and FWIW, they are usually from the "pre-owned" section) stayed "available" on the site for several months, if not for a year or more. Lately, when I re-open the bikes I have recently bookmarked, they are invariably sold/gone.

This scientific method of market research tells me that bike sales are up.
  16. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda/Polaris dealer employee in a town of 320 people chiming in again. We've sold more SxS's in the last 2 months than we did the entire 4 months prior to that. We average between 15-30 units a month, since the beginning of the lockdown we've tripled our numbers in all departments. It's insanity.
  17. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm good friends with the local Honda, Yamaha, Polaris dealer. He said he's selling anything he can get, the show room is empty. I told him I'd be interested in a slightly used or repo'd Yamaha SXS. He said the dealers are already talking about the post-Covid recession. So many units sold now that no one will be buying in a couple months. So dealers will be hit hard, and I won't have trouble finding a low mile unit cheap.
  18. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    There is also a subset of people in essential jobs who have been raking in the overtime for the past three months and are ready to reward themselves. Add to this the fact that anyone who is still working has not been able to go anywhere to spend their money which is burning a hole in their pocket.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  19. The Smokester

The Smokester n00b

Oddometer:
    My dealer in San Francisco said his May sales were up over last year's.
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stopped today at a large local dealer. I was told that during the first couple of weeks of the pandemic things were slow. Then sales really took off in April and May was just crazy. Their showroom had way fewer bikes than they did just a couple of weeks ago. The biggest concern for those dealers I have visited is running out of inventory.