Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My plane takes off from LAX tomorrow.
    I fly into Prague. First, I plan to stay in the Czech Republic for about a week. I keep my blue Honda VFR800 there.
    At the beginning of June, I rented a place in the Italian Alps for an entire month. There I can hike and bike around the Alps and really get to know the roads and trails like the back of my hand.
    This is all part of my master plan. I have traveled the world and now I want to go back to those places that I liked best to really get to know them intimately. And Northern Italy is first on my list.
    Later in July, I hope to find an Enduro bike, like a Yamaha TTR600 from 1998 to 2001 to do the TET.
    In August, I will head down to the Balkins and Montenegro to hangout on the beach for a while.....and do some more hiking
    Then in September, I will head back to the High Tatras in Slovakia to do some trekking, like I did last year.

The big question is - can I do all this on a budget of $1000 a month? This is not just my goal. This is not just my budget. This is how much money I have to spend. If I blow my budget, I will be stuck penniless until my flight out around the middle of September. To do this, it will mean a lot of time spent in my tent. It will mean going easy on food purchases. And it will mean cheap wine!!!! Or maybe even no wine. Gas and food will be my biggest expense. But I don't plan to eat Top Ramon every day.
    This trip is going to be about balance. I don't want it to be done on such an extreme budget that it limits my fun and Edventures. It has to be enjoyable. And I plan to live rich in Europe on $1000 a month.
    Can it be done? It is not a matter of me finding out. It is what needs to happen. And it all starts tomorrow.

Here's my place I rented in Northern Italy.

[​IMG]

People have asked me how I can afford to travel for 4 months in Europe. And I answer - because it is too damn expensive to live in California. And it's true. I can live for much less in Europe - maybe not Switzerland or Norway. But the part of Europe I am going to can be done on a small budget.

My budget for the enduro motorcycle is $2800. But I am hoping to spend less. I have been looking on Subito, Mobile.de, AutoScout24 and The Parking for the right bike. Not speaking the languages will be an issue. If anyone knows Italian and wants to help, I would be very grateful. Here is an idea of what bike I am planning to get:

[​IMG]

And of course my beautiful blue Honda VFR800 that I bought last year is waiting for me in the Czech Republic.
    I can't wait!!!!

[​IMG]

If you want to see what 7 years on 2 wheels looks like - start reading here.............

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-the-world-in-800-days.801516/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-the-world-ed-venn-ture-the-next-800-days.1000417/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-se-asia-in-80-days-my-next-edventure.1278295/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/arou...howing-the-world-is-a-friendly-place.1317807/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...ntures-on-the-new-honda-african-twin.1350874/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/magi...na-be-no-vacation-going-deep-in-asia.1367399/
  2. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Right on Ed!!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  3. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Ed, I have a TTR 250. Awesome bike. Goes anywhere I point it. Even into trees. hehe.

So wish I could be in Europe this summer instead of the States.

P.S. Still waiting for you to get to Japan!
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should be flying to Milano and picking up my bike sometime in June. Maybe I fill up a rotopax with Veneto and stop by before heading to Balkans?
  5. haggis mctavish

haggis mctavish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed, like you Italy is one of my favourite places for bikes (Suzuki GT380 a long time ago). Like you I have limited finances. Looking forward to following this thread!
  6. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, another Edventure!
  7. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll be up there in a few weeks. Currently on the Iberian peninsula.

Maybe meet up for a coffee somewhere.

Dan
    Ruta and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  8. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good luck on this one ED . cant wait to read about it .thanks so much for giving us such great ride reports
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have a plan for Japan next year in April and May. And I want you to help me find a bike. But it will depend on money and time. Let's see how this trip goes first
  10. Wanderchris

Wanderchris n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed , though I am probably pretty far from where you ll be, if you need any info on Greece let me know. Also, how did you rent that house? Did you use some kind of online platform? Or did you know the owner or someone who knows him/her?
  11. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit Ed..... Had to look up the first word of your ride report! :) Looking forward to this!
    StanBo and TropicalDale like this.
  12. DRDP

DRDP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All caught up, thanks for taking the time to write these.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Airbnb is going to be my friend
  14. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be a good idea to meet an attractive lady to take you in and take care of you.. :)
  15. yorkin

yorkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, if you need any help in Prague, I will be happy to help! Btw friend of mine has very nice (mechanically, not so much optically :-D) vintage Yamaha XT600 for sale (http://www.ponca.cz/bazar/motocykly/yamaha-xt-600/) in Prague, for 2kUSD you will have extra month of budget :-).
    brianpeck likes this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    And so it begins - the next Edventure

[​IMG]
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am staying about an hour east of Prague for about a week to get my bike ready.
    I really have my heart on a TTR vs and XT. The latter is a bit softer. And the Ttr600 is a pretty cool bike to me.
    Let's stay in touch. Maybe get a Pilsner at some point
  18. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Ed. Excited for ya.
  19. IJM

IJM Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer:
    Dude, how many rolls of saran wrap on that luggage?
  20. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the trip - and thanks ahead for taking us along !