Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But it is only part of it. I am still exploring the Alps on my VFR. I ride the best roads and passes to get to my shelters - just as anyone else would as they go to their next hotel. But I am seeing and experiencing a lot more off the bike
    7thson, Foiler, SmilinJoe and 3 others like this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  3. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just speaking for myself, I'm not a facebook guy. I really appreciate you posting some of your videos on here!! Places look beautiful!! Thanks again!!
    jowul, 7thson, elron and 5 others like this.
  4. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Very inspirational. Resourcefulness is your currency, and you spend it well. Have you come across an occupied bivacco yet? What's the etiquette in that situation?
    MacNoob likes this.
  5. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Do you leave stuff at these Biavaccos for the next folks that come along?
  6. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, you have once again demonstrated how to turn lemons into a lemon martini! Sure the accommodations are a bit rough, but no worse than some you've stayed in, I'll bet. I appreciate very much your videos here, but will understand if the technical aspects of uploading videos is such that you can only do them in any sort of time-efficient way by using FB.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    There was an Italian guy in one Bivacchi and a couple of Italian girls in another. None have been over crowded. Most have been empty. The Italian guy told me the Italian people dont like the bivacchi. We both agreed that people all over the world have become soft. And like comfort.
    When other people are around, we share food and stories. It is pretty cool.
    One other bivacchi, 3 guys came in at night and got up early as they were on a long trek.
    You never know who will show your when.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I never know what to expect when I hike in so I bring everything i need to spend the night.....sleeping bag, pad, food, water, etc.
    Some people leave cans of food and pasta behind. I usually dont have anything left or value. But I usually do leave a small donation.
    jowul, SmilinJoe, VisionPilot and 3 others like this.
  9. Foiler

Foiler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing the videos on here.
  10. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats, man. You've taken a bad situation and turned it into a great opportunity, great experiences. Woo-hoo!
  11. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Ed, love your videos of the bivacoos. Good job. Thanks for taking the time to post them. One question. I see cut fire wood staked up in some of your videos. I know you don’t travel with much food or what not to leave for the next people. Did you have a chance to forage some wood for future travelers? Or do you know who might put the wood there?
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It's always an Edventure
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, most of them have cut firewood. Many have an ax and saw there so you can split your own wood for kindling. It is actually fun doing this and gives me something to do. There is a video of this coming up.
    The Alpini Club takes care of these places. I am guessing it is like the Sierra Club in the US. But instead of the money going to attorney fees (in the case of the Sierra Club) fighting sometimes silly causes , the Alpini money goes directly into preserving these Bivacci. It is amazing really. Love the Italians!!!
    BruceT, RiderRick, JanSerce and 8 others like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I went into the super expensive tourist town of Cortina d'Amprezzo. I had been floating around the Alps for so long I forgot what it was like to be in a place like this. When an Asian lady sat down next to me with her Louis Vuitton purse, it thru me for a loop for a second. These were NOT hikers and adventurers. These were rich tourist that will never get to see the real Italy. I sort of feel sorry for them. But then again, I am envious that they can afford to eat out in a real restaurant. I had not ate in a restaurant the entire 2 months I have been in Europe (other than the Pizza VTbeemer bought me in Cimbergo)

[​IMG]

A choo choo train going down the main street??????? Really Cortina?????? Only a tourist town would have something silly like this. I had a good laugh. Get me OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

There was an accident on the pass road I was on and it shut the road down for hours. Instead of turning around and finding a way around it, I parked my bike and went for a 5 hour hike in the dolomites. I was planning to sleep in a bivacco that night but I had to find another place to sleep. I found this somewhat abandoned house to call home for the night just 3 miles from ultra expensive Cortina. It worked - I slept. And that is my only goal for the nights.

[​IMG]
    jowul, RiderRick, JanSerce and 14 others like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am going to disappear for a couple of days. I am off the grid. But I thought I would leave you with a shot of my next bivacco. Story to follow.

[​IMG]
    BruceT, roadcapDen, jowul and 37 others like this.
  16. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed, bivacco after bivacco after bivacco and they keep getting more and more incredible! Never thought of Italy in this sense, I love it. Keep up the summer fun and hikes :-)
  17. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So cool.

Gives me ideas for a great trip.
  18. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And some of the sweetest roads in the world. lol
  19. Wayneski

Wayneski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck Ed.

I was just there off-roading in Italy W of Turin on the french border with my KTM 990R which I store in Oulx, IT (near Bardonecchia.) And I will return in Sept or Oct to ride more great offroad stuff....like the Trans European Trail (TET). The TET is offroading in every country in Europe...over 50,000 km now of offroading!!!

It sounds like you are going to try to BUY an enduro bike there. I don't believe you can own a bike in IT (or most EU countries) without being a resident of that country. I may be able to help in that regard; give me a buzz.
  20. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    Are you shooting with the Go-Pros?