Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She brought it ....ML 350 from England. And left her SLK AMG just sitting there.
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It's why the Balkans are my favorite part of Europe
    JanSerce likes this.
  3. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, you're not.

Why scorpion stings hurt so much

The mixture of poison and acid potentiates the pain reaction

Painful double strike: Scorpion stings are extremely painful, but the poison alone cannot explain this. The real reason has now been revealed by researchers: The scorpions' poison cocktail contains a substance that irritates the pain receptors 100 times more than normal in the presence of acid. Because the scorpion injects his poison into slightly acidic liquid, he can literally paralyze his victim from pain with this double blow.

Scorpions are notorious for their poison stings: If they are cornered or irritated, they stab with it and inject a potent poison cocktail into their victim. The mixture of nerve-damaging and tissue-decomposing substances can even kill a human being in some species of scorpion. What they all have in common is extreme pain: the unbearable pain is enough to paralyze even large animals and humans after a sting.

Too little poison for this pain

But why does a scorpion sting hurt so much? It is known that the poison cocktail of many species contains a toxin, BmP01, which docks to an important pain receptor in vertebrates. The TRPV1 receptor is located in the nerve cell membrane and reacts to potentially harmful stimuli such as heat and acid as well as chemical irritants such as capsaicin.

The strange thing is that in scorpion sting far too little BmP01 toxin is injected into the body to explain the strong reaction of this pain receptor. Its reaction threshold is so high that even several stings can hardly flip this pain switch, as Shilong Yang of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and his colleagues found out.

Acid makes it 100 times worse

In search of an explanation, the researchers have examined the biochemical processes between scorpion venom and pain receptor more closely. The researchers found that the toxin accumulates differently at the receptor than expected. It binds to one of the two docking sites intended for protons - and thus quasi to the acid sensor of the pain receptor, as the analyses revealed.

The trick: If a proton from an acid is now stored at the other docking site, the ion channel of the receptor is opened wide - and a correspondingly strong pain signal is generated. Laboratory tests have shown that lowering the pH value by just one unit increases the pain effect of the toxin by a factor of 100. When mice received the toxin together with an acid, they felt considerable pain. Without the acid, the reaction did not occur.

Ingenious double stroke

"This double activation of the pain receptor reveals the ingenious strategy used by scorpions to defend themselves," Yang and his colleagues state. They use the fact that their venom is naturally slightly acidic and produce a peptide toxin that enables this double action at the pain receptor.

According to the scientists, other poisonous animals could also take advantage of this principle of the double hit of acid and tailor-made toxin. Then it might be no coincidence that most known toxins in the animal kingdom are naturally slightly acidic. "The proton-supported synergy effect could represent a general strategy by which animals maximize the potency of their toxin," the researchers said.

(Science, Advances, 2017; doi: 10,1126/sciadv.1700810)

Translated from German.
  4. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    As General Patton might put it, Evolution is a "magnificent bastard" (or bitch) :johntm
    08StangGT_CS and DunkingBird like this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    My vagina feels better after reading that. Thanks
    :-)
  6. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    My gut hurts from laughing so hard!
    HandCanonShootr and DunkingBird like this.
  7. baal.moloch

baal.moloch I am the one you warned me of.

Oddometer:
    My parents were from former Yougoslavia. My mother was from Montenegro (Crna Gora).
    Been ages that I didn't went there. Thank you for the nostalgia kick. Time to get my son there !

Have fun , ride safe.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have been unlucky enough to have been stung by 3 bees, all on different days since being stung by the scorpion. On a pain level of one to 10, a bee sting is a 1 and the scorpion was a 9. A 10 is reserved for some pain I haven't experienced yet.
    I wish things would stop stinging me!
    JanSerce, mb300, Foiler and 4 others like this.
  9. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good think scorpions cannot fly, imagine getting one of those up your sleeve while riding...

Witch doctor I am lonely can you help?
    Sure, go sleep beside that church on the hill up there.
    How can that help?
    The gods work in mysterious ways, and that will be 5 dollars please.
    Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Many years ago between Sacramento and Tahoe in fairly heavy traffic I suddenly had a bee inside my full face helmet banging back and forth between the shield and my face. Talk about a near crash panic move to the shoulder when I couldn't locate the tab to open the shield with my violently flayling gloved hand. How that bee got in there I'll never know. Amazingly I wasn't stung.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  11. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed, I thought of you and the scorpion yesterday when I was wrenching on my Porsche 944 (surprise). I kneeled down and seen a scorpion out of the corner of my eye, he was heading for my bare knee but he didn't make it, took two stomps and a kick.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We spent our days finding new beaches to swim at.

[​IMG]

Spare the funny comments about this photo - I think I've heard them all.

[​IMG]

This picture was not taken at a good angle to show my point about Montenegrins.
    But first let me say this...., they all drive like assholes. And the nicer the car they have, the bigger the asshole.
    I had this guy in an Audi S8 with the W12 engine use me an apex marker cone, just nipping my toes and I walked across the street in the crosswalk in Bar.
    In this photo, we are at a shopping center. You can see how people are parked 2 deep in the front drive isle so they can park closer to the front door - at the expense of everyone else trying to maneuver through the parking lot. This happens everywhere with their "me first" mentality. The front drive isle can barely accommodate one car at a time which just fucks the whole parking lot up for everyone.
    Some one told me a Montenegrin would rather have $100 now rather than $10 every day for a month. For them, it is all about now. And that's how they live and die.

[​IMG]

We were invited to one of her friend's birthday parties (same age as me). She was this beautiful women with the energy of a gal a third her age. And she also is single (windowed).
    Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo with her. She was busy preparing a fest for all her guests. I didn't see her stop once - other than the few minutes that we chatted. She told me that she wanted to travel the world. She wanted to get in her car and drive all of Italy. And I told her that is where I planning to go next. We agreed to stay in touch.

It is absolutely crazy how many rich, lonely chicks I have met in the last month. All of them looking for some man to share their life with.
    I might be wrong, but for a relationship to work, I think the two need to be more or less equal otherwise one will feel like they are giving more and the other taking.

[​IMG]

Me and Eva the Diva having a drink on the deck of our host's (the birthday girl) beautiful house overlooking Kotor. It was a rockstar house too - complete with swimming pool and outdoor patio.

[​IMG]
    JanSerce, jowul, george248 and 21 others like this.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    “I might be wrong, but for a relationship to work, I think the two need to be more or less equal otherwise one will feel like they are giving more and the other taking.“

Too much thinking. I asked my wife not to work so she could take care of our kids while I traveled for work. She didn’t like it at the time. I made a commitment and she accepted. It’s not I have more than her or she has more than me. Its family. Maybe rich chicks are different but at the end of the day I suspect they want a honest hug to be happy.

But, I am sitting in the jungle of northern Thailand in the pouring rain looking at our bikes thinking what the hell am I doing? I might not be a good role model
    jowul, shuswap1, forgorin and 6 others like this.
  14. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Gentle on My Mind" :strum It could work. Well at least in a song.
  15. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think women want you to be honest with them, respect them and to make them laugh. Having money is a requirement that men put on themselves.
    Women looking to start a family also want a guy that is a provider so she can be the nest builder. Call me a sexist asshole if you wish, but that is whe way I see it.
    There are exceptions, but generally, that how it works.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    My perfect life and way to travel would be to have enough funds to see each country the way it was meant to be seen
    In Italy, I would buy an old Fiat 500 and drive around with a bottle of wine and a picnic basket in back. At the end of each day, just find a small hotel or B&B to spend the night and not even have to ask about the price.
    In India, I would do it in a Tuk Tuk
    America in a convertible Cadillac
    Russia in a Ural with a sidecar.
    Ok you get the picture.....
    And of course a beautiful woman by my side to love and cherish along the way.
    Just have to find her. And let's hope she is loaded
    SDR82, JanSerce, shuswap1 and 10 others like this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    See that road winding up the side of the mountain?
    It is going up the mountain above Kotor Bay

[​IMG]

Kotor Bay has to be one of the top 10 most beautiful views in the world

[​IMG]

2 cruise ships in port in Kotor

[​IMG]

A view of the whole bay looking out to the Adriatic Sea

[​IMG]
    JanSerce, jowul, shuswap1 and 24 others like this.
  18. devilfishlane

devilfishlane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been following you since you came through Medellin Colombia where I currently live with my KTM 1290GT... Anyway, If I were to take my 12 yr old daughter to Eastern Europe for a month next summer with beaches, some culture and fairly cheap, which countries would you recommend, to start looking? Would be renting an AirBB or apt for the month and a scooter.. Thanks and good luck!!
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Croatia would be my first thought. But it's getting expensive. Montenegro is great and less expensive. Albania would be nice too but it might be too exotic. Maybe think of Trebinje in the Republic of Srpska. It is a beautiful little town, not far from the coast and is very adorable. For example, a scoop of ice cream in Trebinje is 30 cents. That same scoop of ice cream in Dubrovnik, about 25 miles away, is two Euro.
    My Trebinje story is coming up.
    Stay tuned.

PS, also Bulgaria and the Black Sea coast would be a good pick
  20. BoxerPilot

BoxerPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Living vicariously through your travels! Thank you for your sharing your story....

Had some experience with scorpions on deployment in Iraq- the pale color there was equated with increased toxicity- yours looked really similar to the “death stalker” we were told to avoid... google that and check out pics.. very similar color.

Hope you continue to enjoy your trip, sorry about the rough start but you definitely seem to land on your feet when challenged!!!!!