Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.....these women who say their greatest desire is to travel the world. But they aren't doing it, are they? One has a child she shares with an ex. The others talk the talk but none of them are walking the walk, or should I say riding the ride. A lot of people dream of traveling, and for almost all of them that's what it remains: a dream. Something they can tell themselves is going to happen "someday". Who you need to find is a woman who is already a bold traveler, on the road (and preferably on a moto) and the two of you fall in love. As far as a disparity in economic levels between members of a couple......my experience has been that if they truly share a sort of "all for one and one for all" commitment, then it won't matter. But if one of them is keeping score the gig is doomed. Just my little opinion (worth the price paid....i.e. nothing) and YMMV!
    jowul, td63, forgorin and 2 others like this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I totally agree. I seem to find women that are lonely and lost. They see my Edventures as a way out. It is fun for them for a while but then they want to settle down.
    I need to find someone that already enjoys the same interests as I do. Someone who doesnt have long, manicured finger nails and hopefully already has their own motorcycle helmet.
    First Adventure together would be to ride classic motorcycles on Route 66.
    JanSerce, jowul, Snapper33 and 3 others like this.
  3. chrispan

chrispan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Were you looking down at that cruise ship thinking , man I’d love to be on there? Cause I was on a similar sized ship a couple months back in that very bay looking up to the mountains thinking , man I’d love to be on a bike up there! Lovely place Kotor.
    yokesman, Foiler, garfey and 3 others like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I hiked up the mountain overlooking Kotor. I figured it would have an awesome view at the top. There really wasn't a trail to the top. It involved walking thru blackberry thorn bushes and scrambling up the side of a steep mountain with sharp rocks. It was marginally worth it. This was the view

[​IMG]

Looking for a nice place to camp, I took the Honda VFR800 Enduro bike up this dirt road to the top of the mountain. I saw the tower at the top and figured there would be a nice view.
    It was the highest mountain in the area.

[​IMG]

Here is my camp spot I found - with a nice view of Kotor Bay.
    Check out that cloud in the background and watch what it does while I break camp and pack up the bike

[​IMG]

This was my view as I looked out of my tent in the morning

[​IMG]

The cloud grows and grows

[​IMG]

Looks like a bomb went off

[​IMG]

Rain coming my way. Time to head down the mountain and back into Bosnia Herzegovina to the cool town of Trebinje.

[​IMG]
    mb300, JanSerce, jowul and 32 others like this.
  5. markonitogen

markonitogen n00b

Oddometer:
    Some serious offroading you've got there with that enduro VFR :) It seems that years in Baja have made you fearless :)
    Wish you all the best and have a cold one for the road!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  6. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you see any scorpions whilst camping near the tower?
  7. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happened to the girl?
  8. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    enduro...lol
    the amazing energy of a cloud
    Golden955 likes this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    No but I wasn't looking either.. I guess I didn't learn my lesson.
    locopny and JanSerce like this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I ended up staying with her for 4 nights.
    I could have probably stayed longer, but it was time for me to move on.
    But I will see her again soon
    :-)
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Leaving Kotor Bay behind, I take all small backroads thru Montenegro toward the Bosnian border.
    These are one lane roads. They are very demanding as you have to stay focused for cars and trucks coming the other way. As it was, I didn't see another vehicle moving for nearly 2 hours.

[​IMG]

I chose to cross at the small border crossing of Nudo into Bosnia Herzegovina. The problem was, it was only open to locals and I had to turn around. But it was a beautiful ride so it was not a waste of time

[​IMG]

I saw a sign for a winery in Nudo so I stopped by for a closer look. It was just a modest house but I was soon to find out that this winery had 300 years of family wine making history.

[​IMG]

It was lunch time and I asked if they did food......and did they ever. In 10 minutes, they brought me all this......plus wine.......lots and lots of wine.

[​IMG]

And on their terrace, they had a beautiful view of the valley.

[​IMG]

Many generations have been making wine here. This was not only a wine tasting with lunch, it was one of the best experiences and educations I have had in all the various wine regions in the world. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon.

[​IMG]

Next stop Trebinje, Republic of Srpska

x
  12. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Miss you brother!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  13. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your video on FB today on the winery was great.
    locopny and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You would be surprised at what those old Honda's can do.
  15. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much was the wine tasting? With the food. Looks good!
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I didnt ask at first. But the fee was 20 euro. Pricey for Montenegro standards. But the winery does tours for cruise ships so it has western Europeon prices. I was drinking some good red wine for 3 euro a liter so there are options when you buy from local markets.
    The food alone made it worth it. And the personal tour and the experience was priceless
  17. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting the "air guitar band" back together?
    Awesome...your ability to meet some very cool folks at the most opportune times in your Edventures.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Welcome to beautiful Trebinje, Republic of Srpska.
    Srpska is the Serb controlled part of Bosnia Herzegovina.
    I passed thru this town a few years back and though that it would be nice to spend more time here.
    So I made a mental note of it and now I am back for a few days.

People flock to the same places all over the world to visit. They go to Paris, London and Madrid but what do they really experience? The Eiffel Tower, Big Ben and Puerto del Sol are just visual sites to document you've been there for your Facebook and Instagram page. I am talking experiences!!!!
    If you were to be blindfolded, you could not identify what major city you were in because they are all the same - full of expensive restaurants, bars, Swiss watch and designer purse shops and of course souvenir shops. None of this is the real city for the people that live there. The city is now controlled by tourism so you are not really "experiencing" the real city and culture any more.

This is why I enjoy places that are off the beaten path so much
    Last summer, Orsi and I stayed in a little town call Varazdin In Croatia. People would ask where I was from and what I was doing there. They were amazed that I would choose to spend a month in their "boring" little town. But no one will ask you where you are from or give a shit about you if you go to London, Paris or Madrid. They only care about finding ways to take money from you and put it into their bank account.
    So here in Trebinje, people were confused why I wanted to be here - after all, I am from California - the greatest place in the world (so it is written)
    I would just tell them that I liked it because it would real. It is not too big and not too small. It feels just right.
    Oh, and did I mention that the girls are beautiful here?

[​IMG]

This is a view from the airbnb place I rented on top of the hill

[​IMG]

Nice, clean, spacious one bedroom apartment goes for about $20 a night

[​IMG]

This is an old Austro-Hungarian road but now it is mainly a hiking trail leading to the city

[​IMG]

One thing the town is noted for is its food. I went to this restaurant that was famous for its lamb on the spit. I couldn't read the menu. I just asked how much the lamb dinner was. He said 5 euro, six if I want bread in potatoes. I told to add a Shopska salad and a glass of wine. Even on my tight budget, it is too hard to pass this up.

[​IMG]

The restaurant was in the village nearby called Mosko. I was was wondering if my duffle bag backpack was named after the village or the village was named after the motorcycle gear manufacturer :-)

[​IMG]
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is cheaper then Mexico!