Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode around Trebinje checking out the sites but I felt like I was pretty much the only Tourist in town.

[​IMG]

This is a 1700 year old monastery that makes wine called Tvrdos

[​IMG]

There are quite a few wineries in the area but this was my favorite. The others were too fancy and tried to impress me with how grand their chateau was

[​IMG]

I got lucky on my timing for visiting Trebinje. It was some sort of special religious day for the city. All the priest took to the streets and did some sort of religious prayer in Serbian.

[​IMG]

They set up a stage and the (not so) world famous Banja Luka band played in town. They played some good ol' tunes from former Yugoslavian times

[​IMG]

But the next night was something special. Someone famous was coming to play on the stage.

x
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    that adv bike needs some knobbies
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    What is needs most is new steering head bearings and new tires!!!!! The bearings are thrashed and the bike is becoming dangerous to ride. The front tire is not round any more and it doesn't turn well. It either wants to fall into a corner or doesn't want to turn. The notch and sticky head bearings just make the situation worse.
    It is almost as if the bike was not designed to be ridden off road..... :-)
    powderzone, EmmEff, locopny and 9 others like this.
  4. Bigman2

Bigman2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda bearings are not tapered bearings, every bike I had I change them out with All Balls Racing tapered bearings. Hold on with both hands when decelerating , it helps the asshole from getting real tight
    mb300 likes this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I agree. Every Honda I have ever owned, I changed out the roller bearings to the tapered kind and they have lasted the life time of the bike. Also, I will put some grease on them because evidently they are stingy with the grease at the Honda factory.
    Foiler likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    better to fix the bike than having to fix you, besides it taking away the enjoyment you once had riding.
  7. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    You need to find a woman who enjoys being homeless, thinks that abandoned buildings make great "nests", and doesn't mind being kicked out in the middle of the night. Also, she must like to bath once a week, and go potty in the woods. And likes "fine" wine. I think I found the perfect woman for you:
    https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-33682774-homeless-woman-drinking-alcohol-brown-bag-on

:-):-)
    :hide
    td63, JanSerce, VisionPilot and 7 others like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough, I am not attracted to her
    She has too many wheels on her preferred mode of transportation.
    She doesn't pack light enough.
    And her wine bottle has a screw cap.
    But she is perfect otherwise.

In the past 7+ years, I have actually never been kicked out in the middle of the night (as far as I can recall). The only time I was asked to leave was when I was in Laos, and the 6 guys came up on me in the dark with their guns drawn and pointing directly at me while i was setting up my tent.
    And besides, what woman wouldn't love that excitement. :-)
    td63, Cloud-9, #1Fan and 16 others like this.
  9. barrakuda

barrakuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If i remember well, there was another time when you where kicked out. Remember that party in thailand o was it in vietnam? The one that you have never told us about
    ;-)
  10. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible maƱana

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of history in this report! :lol3
    Golden955 likes this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Guilty!!!! Must have suppressed that one into my subconscious
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have been a busy boy this past week. Let me try and catch up where I left off.
    Macedonian superstar, Kaliopi, gave a live performance in Trebinje. I had to fight back all the 10 year old girls to get to the front row.

[​IMG]

I got a message from Iva the Diva that I left my swimsuit and water shirt at her place in Montenegro. She was only about an hour away but it meant crossing the border. I didn't have insurance for Montenegro so I wasn't sure they would let me in. They asked for it at the border and they were kind enough to let me slide in without it for the day.

Iva and I had a nice lunch and hung out at a swanky beach resort and had some drinks. It was nice seeing her again.

[​IMG]

That evening, I rode up into the mounatins to find a place to camp. I was planning to hike up Mt Orjen (eleven 1894) - the highest mountain in the Adriatic coastal range.
    This was the spot I found. It was an Adventure Park, will zip lines and such.

[​IMG]

2+ hours of hiking, i reached the top of Mt Orjen. I was surprised that I didn't see anyone else hiking the entire time. I guess everyone was flocking to the beach like good little tourists.

[​IMG]
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know that wasnt the originial desigh intent but there is yet some intent remaining. GET THEM CHANGED , that is what your-alls are telling you.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Dubrovnik is such an awesome town - too bad the massive amount of tourists have nearly ruined it.
    A scoop of ice cream here is 2 Euro. In Trebinje (just 30 kms away) it is 30 cents.
    People come here from around the world to eat at fancy restaurants and swanky bars.
    I walked into a fancy restaurant wearing my swimsuit, t shirt and hiking boots. I asked for a table and they said my attire was not appropriate. It actually felt good to be turned away.

[​IMG]

Croatia is such a beautiful country. Too bad 99% of the tourists will not see 99% of the country. Instead, they flock to the major towns and tourist attractions that are highlighted in trip advisor.
    But for me, I have a different agenda. Call me a 1 percentor.

[​IMG]

There are two 5 star resorts that were abandoned during the Balkan War. Now there are there as a reminder to a time that most would chose to forget.

[​IMG]

Here's the view from the deck of one such hotel that has long since closed. I went swimming at both beaches

[​IMG]

The view from one of the rooms in former communist Yugoslavia. I wonder what infamous government officials slept here

[​IMG]

The pool with the ocean view is still spectacular

[​IMG]

This spot was used as a set for the show Game of Throwns

[​IMG]

Time is slowly taken over the buildings. One of them was closed off. There were signs saying to keep out due to the possibility of it collapsing. I still found my way in. The concrete and iron reinforcements have deteriorated to the point that some areas had collapsed. I didn't stay long. i didn't want it to be my tomb.

[​IMG]
  15. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, you 'forgot' some stuff at Iva's, did you? Nice move man!!
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  16. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were many tourists in Dubrovnik when I visited in 2006 but it was still possible to find restaurants in the old city that were not all tarted up for tourists. We stayed in a room in a private house in a tiny village just outside the city walls, on an exquisite little bay, organized by a fellow called George who would meet the local buses as they came from the airport and dropped off visitors. I think that was before the cruise ships began to dock in numbers at the new port and bus thousands of visitors a day to the old city. Between Split and the Plitvice Lakes we would stop and buy cheese from farmers sitting by the side of the road at card tables under umbrellas. We broke the language barrier by imitating cow, sheep, or goat with the farmer pointing to the matching cheese. Awesome freakin' cheese, dude. Loving your report and your approach to travel: dig beneath the surface and meet the real culture and its people! Couldn't believe you got the VFR up that mountain trail....on street tires! Once again you show us that having fat bank balances, while nice, is not a requirement for some great riding and excellent adventures! Thanks!
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    As much as I would love everyone to think the Magic String is working well, it wasn't like that. I did forget my stuff and we only met at a restaurant. Don't get me wrong, it was nice seeing her again. But when we originally met and I told her that I didn't see there being anything long term between us, it was a strictly a platonic relationship after that. And we were both cool with that.

I am trying a new tactic with meeting girls - being honest. Not so good for hook ups. But then again, no one gets hurt.
    And I think it will pay out in the long run.
    BillUA, JanSerce, RiderRick and 7 others like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you get it.
    The best experienced are the ones that are not planned or listed on Trip Adviser.

I titled this RR appropriately. I wanted to show people that money should not be a limiting factor when setting out on your own Adventure. Only "YOU" are your own limiting factor!!!!!!
    JanSerce, RiderRick, Foiler and 4 others like this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I came to Dubrovnik that evening to catch a ferry to Bari Italy, across the Adriatic Sea. It would be an over night trip and I would sleep on the deck of the boat. No problem as I can now sleep anywhere.

[​IMG]

I have my GPS maps stored on an SD card by region. I need to use my computer to change the regions on the GPS. So once in Italy, I found a quiet spot on the side of the road, and I was able to change to the Italian maps so I could navigate thru the streets of Bari.

[​IMG]

First stop was this cool little town called Alberobello in the Puglia region (the heel of the boot).
    All the houses were white with stone roofs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being Impecunious and Indigent means no more eating at restaurants in Italy - it is too expensive here.
    This is my usual and favorite stop to buy food for breakfast, lunch in dinner
    I took this photo for a reason......
    See the black dude in the photo.
    Every Lidl Supermarket has an African man standing in front of it........everyone of them!!!
    Most come from West Africa coming to Europe looking for a better life.
    I often talk to these guys. He was from Nigeria or Ghana (I can't remember now which as I talk to so many of them).
    He told me his story as I chowed down on my dinner. He paid the equivalent of $500 to be smuggled thru the Sahara Desert thru Mali and Algeria. He said many people died along the way. He was one of the lucky ones that made it.
    But they are also all not happy in Italy. They all had hopes that they would find jobs and have the life that they dreamed about or heard about.
    These were only empty promises. Now they are stuck in Italy with no place to go and no opportunity. They have created a job that never existed before - returning shopping carts to the corral in hopes of getting a little money.

[​IMG]

Southern Italy is the only place in the world that I know of where the wine is less expensive to buy than gasoline.
    Red wine is sold for 1.50 euro a liter - just bring your own bottles
    Gas is 1.60 euro or more
    This winery sells their wine in the same manner as their gasoline.
    ".........fill me up with rosso, please"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BillUA, JanSerce, Jackhac and 16 others like this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    As much as I wanted to stay in the Balkans, I came back to Italy early for a special reason........... to look for an enduro bike for Europe. My first and only choice is a red Yamaha TTR600. After losing my cash the first day of my trip, I didn't think it would be possible. But my CZ brother - @rad_venture offered me a loan so I could fulfill my dream. This is the first bike I looked at in Puglia.
    The TTR600 is special because it was built in Belagarda Italy between 1998 - 2001. In totally stock form, it is street legal and it has an Ohlins rear shock, Paioli 46 mm forks, Termignoni exhaust, Tommaseli aluminum bars, Brembo brakes, Takasako aluminum wheels, kick start only (no battery), dry sump with aluminum oil tank, deltabox aluminum swingarm and of course the bulletproof Yamaha 600 cc air cooled motor. I need this bike for the Balkans!!!!!!

This particular bike was not in the best condition. It was well used.
    When I first arrived, the guy was pushing the bike down the road to the local mechanic shop - not a good sign.
    He changed the spark plug and tried to start it. He kicked and kicked and it wouldn't fire.
    I asked if I could try.
    I could smell gas and I figured the engine was flooded.
    I turned off the gas, turned off the ignition, held the throttle wide open to clear the cylinder and kicked the bike thru 10 times.
    Then I turned the key on, gas on and it started first kick. Everyone standing around was amazed.
    It is just something I've learned in Baja starting those old XR's for clients.
    Once you know the drill and the bike is set up properly, they are easy to start.

[​IMG]

Now the plan was to be in Naples in 2 days to check out another TT600R for sale.
    It is cool that I have a plan and a goal in Italy

x
    BillUA, JanSerce, Jackhac and 20 others like this.