Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My plan was to see if I can make it back to CZ and deal with it there. I will have time to kill there.
    locopny and SmilinJoe like this.
  2. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "no dogs" sign made me smile. Not fun to lie out in the sun on grass that dogs have been peeing and pooing on! I can never understand how people can do that in Central Park! Nice to see that the Viennese still have their love of sunbathing and their open attitude toward nudity. On my first trip to Europe decades ago cycling the Danube bike path through Vienna I was very surprised when a businesswoman casually stripped down to a topless state and stretched out in the sun on the blanket she took from her briefcase, while I looked across the river at the old city. Then I understood how it is that many Europeans thought we Americans had dirty minds or body issues. Hope you get the VFR back in good running order. Sad that the Balkan's bike did not materialize but then the theme of this ride has sort of been rescuing victory from the jaws of defeat. Your interest in interacting with the people you meet along the way says to me that even with bike issues, you will always have a trip that broadens and enriches your life and the lives of those you meet.
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    As you will soon see, my next posts will claim victory, after so many set backs
  4. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ricky:getiton
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I made it back to Rad's home town in CZ to complete my loop around Europe.
    The wheel is still bent.
    There is a 18" intertube in a 17" tubeless tire.
    And the front tire is worn out.
    The bike doesn't like to go around corners
    And it vibrates a lot because of the damaged wheel and worn out steering head bearings.

My original plan was to head to the High Tatras in Slovakia to do some hikes but with my bike issues.........I didn't want to ride that far.

I spent a couple of days just hanging out in town. I had a flight booked to return home to California in about 10 days. The weather was sort of changing and it was raining a bit. I wanted to go somewhere but I didn't want to travel too far either.
    I looked at my maps and thought I could go check out the mountains on the Northern Czech border with Poland. I think they are called the table mountains. Not peaky mountains like the Tatras. But a whole lot closer - about 100 kms away. The highest mountain in the area is about 1600 meters - over 5000 feet - so not too bad.

I found this one hiking trail that led to a small village called "Amerika"
    I felt right at home here - sort of

[​IMG]

Well, you probably guessed it.
    I met this Polish girl while hiking. She is a trail runner and she was training for one of those Ultra-marathon races in the mountains.

[​IMG]

She was a bit shy at first. We walked and talked together for a bit and she warmed up to me
    It is no surprise to anyone when I tell you that I like thin girls and she was looking good to me in her running outfit.
    When we got to the top of the mountain, I asked her if she would take a photo with me.
    She complained a bit about having her photo taken but I insisted.
    This was the photo that was taken. I pulled her in close and she was trying to pull away. Check out her left arm. She doesn't know exactly what to do with it.

[​IMG]

She is tall, lean, fit, fun, active and has these amazing greenish-blue eyes. We spent the rest of the day together. I think she was warming up to me
    Towards the end of the day, to say we bonded would be an understatement.
    I was only planning to go to Poland for hiking for just one night. But long story short - I've been here for over a week now and I am really enjoying it here. I don't want to leave!!!!!
    I think the Lucky Lipa Coin had this planned all along

[​IMG]
  6. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's time you got a GoPro.

Not for the mc riding (yawn) but so we can see how you pick up cute strangers in situations where most would get (justifiably) maced.
  7. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    A proper ending for a European adventure ! Have a hunch we'll see her again.
    Hoping your travels never end :beer
  8. Ian.H

Ian.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pity you never made it to the Tatra mountains. Living in southern Poland its an area that I like riding.
    JanSerce likes this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have been there 3 times in the past 7 years. It is a shame but the Tatras will be there waiting for me next time.
    JanSerce, BillUA, RiderRick and 2 others like this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We spent most of our days hiking in the mountains.
    It was nice to have a local guide to show me all the cool places that I would have never found on my own

[​IMG]

The weather was definitely cooling. It was trying to rain at times but the rain held off for us

[​IMG]

The food here is very inexpensive. This potato pancake and goulash dinner was only about $4 or $5. And it was really good!

[​IMG]

And of course the beer is even cheaper - less that $2 a pint.
    Since we were right on the CZ border, the beer was imported from Czech.

[​IMG]

She was able to take some days off of work to come hiking with me but there were days that she had to go into work. I visited her at her office one day. She is the HR manager for a plant that makes metal things with over 200 employees. She keeps very busy. And I could tell she was very good at what she did. She lived in London for years so her English was better than mine.

[​IMG]

There were times, while she was at work, I was back at her home with this devil cat. While the cat definitely had an evil, crazy side, he was fun because he knew how to fetch.
    But you had to be careful because this cat liked to play rough. I found myself everyday with new scratches, bites and bruises.

[​IMG]

One day, when she was at work, I walked around her small village. I honestly felt very at home here. For me, growing up in a big city, it would be cool to have this experience in a town so small that everyone knows each other - or at least knows of each other. I suppose that feeling would wear off after a while. But still, no traffic and a small town has it charm

[​IMG]
    Rich Rider, forgorin, Foiler and 31 others like this.
  11. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you land on your feet. You are good at that!!!

Small town living is nice. You learn who to hang around with and who to avoid over the years. I can't ever see myself living in a big city.
    td63 likes this.
  12. Tiger-Mike

Tiger-Mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Conversely in a small town everyone knows everyones business (lots of gossip).

Just putting it out there.

Mike
  13. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the reason I've heard them referred to as triangle faced devils.
    That lucky coin seems to have the not so magical string beat this trip. Great report, awesome story...and photos.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    True. The Lucky Lipa Coin gives me what I need - not necessarily what I want.
  15. mb300

mb300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worse yet--- you never actually break up with a girl.... you just end up at the back of the line.
  16. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you make a comparision between Europe and USA from your point of view? :) I would say that you really like it here :)
  17. DRDP

DRDP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What he said.....
  18. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Piccolo misses you! Forget the cat!!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    While she was at work, I checked out something called The Labyrinth at Bledne Skaly. It a natural maze carved out in the rocks thru time and erosion.

[​IMG]

Very interesting rock formations. It was actually fun to walk thru - as long as you were skinny enough to fit thru the tight passages.

[​IMG]

Being close to Czech Republic, the Polish beer is pretty good. This was my favorite - coming in at 9% ABV

[​IMG]

My next adventure bike? Might be fun

[​IMG]

After work, we met up for dinner

[​IMG]

In a hotel nearby, I asked her if she wanted to play chess.

[​IMG]

I didn't tell her that I am sort of good at the game. I don't think I have ever lost a game of chess. And when I said Check Mate, I made a display so everyone would know who had one :-)

[​IMG]

Despite my silly display of arrogance after playing chess, we were getting along very well.

[​IMG]
    cappt, Rich Rider, oic and 25 others like this.
  20. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    If you ever make it to southern Utah you should check out Peekaboo and Spooky. They're pretty cool slot canyons in the Escalante area.