Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the beginning of my trip, I did the Subway in Zion. I think that video is still on my first ride report.
    Amazing stuff
    Foiler, SmilinJoe and locopny like this.
  2. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, looks to be an amazing time you are having. Are you still heading back to the states or has your flight been delayed??
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  3. dvmweb

dvmweb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to control you and the situation.

Thanks for taking us along. Very cool to travel vicariously.
    everready likes this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We took a little road trip about 3 hours away by car. We went to visit, have dinner and spend the night at her friend's house.

[​IMG]

For me, this was awesome. This is the kind of experience you can't book on Trip Advisor. They lived in a small village with lots of farm fields and animals. Unfortunately, they didn't speak much English but they taught me some important Polish phrases.......all the bad words. Surprisingly, once I learned these phases, I heard them many times from other people overhearing their conversations. Kurwa!

[​IMG]

For work, they used these giant horses to pull lumber out of the forest in places a tractor can't reach.

[​IMG]

The next day, we went for a big hike up Snezka. It is the tallest mountain in the area - elev 1602 meters. It is on the border of Poland and CZ and it is the tallest in CZ.

[​IMG]

This is a spot where there was an avalanche that killed 20 people.

[​IMG]

At the top. It was surprisingly very cold up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other side was the Czech Republic.

[​IMG]

Crazy, sort of abandoned, flying saucer shaped structure at the top

[​IMG]

We made it to the summit in record time. It took us half the time it would take a normal person. We walked up at a very fast pace, passing people like they were standing still.
    She is an ultra marathon runner so this is sort of normal for her.
    On the way down the mountain, she said that this hike was sort of a test for me to see if I could keep up with her. I laughed and said I was giving her the same test.
  5. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Abandoned mountain top saucer, Kurva!
    cappt and JanSerce like this.
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent way to end your trip!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  7. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 'road' go all the way to the top?

nice reply.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    In the evenings, we would go back to her flat, make dinner, drink some red wine and watch a movie, while snuggling on the couch.
    I know it is not everyone's taste, but I like thin girls. I think she looks GREAT!

[​IMG]

There are lots of fun things to do in her little village - like this incredibly dangerous and scary zip-line

[​IMG]

It is mushroom season, so in an hour, you can find all the mushrooms you can eat.

[​IMG]

There is zero tolerance for drinking and driving so we walked into the Czech Republic from her town in Poland to go have a beer. It is only a 6 km walk. It was a beautiful walk too

[​IMG]

I had a flight to catch that would bring me back to reality.
    After 9 days and 8 nights together, I had to leave. I didn't want to and she was sad to see me go.
    I've been thru this before........boy meets girl.......boy lives in different country.......boy goes away........boy and girl make plans to meet up again.
    But the reality of the situation is complex.
    This time, I couldn't stay, even if I wanted to and missed my flight.
    One, my 90 days in the Schengen EU area was coming to an end. If I overstay my visa, I will not be allowed back into Europe.
    Two, I was out of money again. Losing the $2900 in the first hour of my trip certainly didn't help the situation.
    All of the love in the world couldn't keep us together. Reality can be harsh.
    The EU has become very strict about overstaying. If you stay longer, they fear that you are working illegally in the EU. Orsi is STILL in California. She is staying with yet another guy while doing her online coaching. I have no idea how she is able to stay in the US - as she has been here for 8 of the last 12 months. Maybe love does conquer all. Or in her case, her quest to find a dad for her baby.
    We will most certainly keep in touch. We hope to meet up in Thailand at some point. She can take 2 weeks off this winter. But then what? Me move to Poland? How would that work? I can't legally work or live there. Same holds true about her moving to California.
    Perhaps only time will answer these questions.

[​IMG]

I am going to miss my fit Polish hiker chick

[​IMG]

The story continues.................

x
    cappt, Rich Rider, JanSerce and 36 others like this.
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Ed, move to Poland after you show us Africa.
    forgorin, Francistor83 and td63 like this.
  10. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, does she like motorcycles? World travel? I’m married to a former HR manager and I know some of them don’t ad lib very well.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    She likes to travel but like most people, she has a job and can't take that much time off. Not sure what she thinks about motorcycles. The whole time, she never got on the back of mine. She didnt have a helmet and my bike was dangerous to ride with its wheel and head bearing situation.
    But Tam and Orsi didn't really care for bikes either. And my guess is that they havent been on one since.
    JanSerce, RiderRick, jays100 and 4 others like this.
  12. WrapItOut

WrapItOut Capo-Steve

Oddometer:
    Wrong profile ....hmmm, must be a system error ... Anyway, I've tried riding with an ex-wife and two girlfriends, and none of them liked it. Actually very few ladies do IME, especially long and arduous distances.
    So my two pennies are stick to riding/traveling alone and if you both love each other, then figure out a place to live together - Poland, Thailand, or other country, and just go for it and live happily ever after. Life's short. I just spent 2 weeks in LA & SD county areas, and they are incredibly expensive, even compared to Denver. Good luck, you'll figure it out!
    7thson and Pete_Tallahassee like this.
  13. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long do you have to stay out of the EU before you can go back for another 90 days?
  14. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Invite her to somewhere nice and warm in middle of the winter. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Lopburi and RobF650 like this.
  15. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Yeah. And I don’t even bother listening to my own music on Virgin. Their music selection is un freaking believable. Must have something to do with Sir Richard being in the biz. It’s always a huge letdown for me that the flight back home is usually Delta.

Oh and each and every plane has a name and nose art. Uptown Girl took me over last time.
  16. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relationships are weird......if the Kismet is there with the both of you, it will work one way or another!! Talkin Soul Mate shit!!
  17. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    I’m up to here now. The good thing about this is that I’m now HOOKED on your RR. Had everything been just fine, as a reader I’d probably (but not necessarily) be bored right now.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Because of my impecuniousness, the vicissitudes of this RR are Par Excellence
    7thson, Rich Rider, jays100 and 2 others like this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I can stay in the Schangen countries for 90 days every 180 days.
    Not all EU countries are in the Schangen area. Exceptions are Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia. And of course most of the Balkan countries are not included. With a bit of jumping around, one can theoretically stay in Europe all year and never have to leave
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I dont ever want to take a girl on the back of my bike for long distances ( like I did with Tam and Orsi) ever again
    It's too hard.
    They can either take a bus or ride their own bike.
    For short distances, I would be happy to have her on the back. But not carrying her perfume, angel cards, buddha garden statues or other shit on my bike ever again.