Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last I heard Ireland and the UK are not Schengen members. Another option for an inmate wishing to spend a lot of time in the Schengen Area, could be to get a passport from a country that's a Schengen member. Some European countries allow citizens of other countries who are descended from a citizen of that European country to obtain dual citizenship, and hence a passport from that country. Italy is one such, and I believe Ireland is another. There are hoops to jump through, of course and plenty of criteria one must meet. In the case of Italy, for example, my recollection is that you have to present proof that your qualifying ancestor was an Italian citizen, which usually means hiring a genealogist in Italy to track the info down and prepare a report. And even after you have all your proofs and paperwork submitted, it can take a year or longer to find out if your application has been accepted. There are numerous websites devoted to this topic.
    flyingdutchman177 and RobF650 like this.
  2. Keef

Keef .. just add pasties

Oddometer:
    Cornwall, in the far southwest of England, UK
    Correct! :nod

[​IMG]
    jays100, Blader54 and RobF650 like this.
  3. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have an extraordinary adventure profile. Hard to imagine a woman who could share it, and if she could she would not be a side kick but an amazing adventurer in her own right. And not likely to play the accessory very well.
    JanSerce and BarryB like this.
  4. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:

That would be called a partner.
  5. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Yeah it’s weird. The U.K. and Ireland are (at the moment) in the EU but they are not Schengen. Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU but they are Schengen.

France to Switzerland border crossing is seamless. Usually.
  6. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I left Poland and within 2 hours I was back at my home in the Czech Republic.
    As much as I enjoyed my unexpected Poland visit and romance, I was also a bit disappointed that I didn't have much time to spend here in CZ.
    Rad's friends has this beautiful garden house that I am staying in. And I wanted to ride a bicycle into town, check out the local scene here for a week or so. But I had only about 35 hours before my plane took off - back to California. I wanted to stock up the fridge, do some cooking and drink some good, cheap 35 cent Czech beer.
    I also wanted to service the bike, fix the wheel and get it ready for next summer. But that was obviously going to have to wait.

[​IMG]

This big guy missed me

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the VFR, getting it ready for storage. I am really impressed with this bike. I like it because it is not your typical Adventure bike.
    First thing I like about it is the way it looks. It is sporty. How many people do you see traveling on a sporty bike????
    Second thing I like about are the engine characteristics and the sound. If I can duplicate this feeling on all future bikes, I will be so happy. It has good torque down low (above 3000 rpms) and it pulls hard all the way up to 13,000. And it sounds so awesome doing it.
    What I don't like about it is the riding position. I think my days are finishing buying a bike with clip on bars. It not only gets tiring, it is difficult to ride because you don't have the leverage.
    I paid 2000 Euro or, $2300, for the bike. And I have only changed the oil and coolant. I have not done anything else to it. It still have the original tires, chain and sprockets that I bought it with. I haven''t even adjusted the chain. I just have put gas in it and go!!!! The amount of money I have invested in this bike would have covered 2 weeks rental of a comparable motorcycle in Europe. If this bike were to blow up tomorrow, I would have gotten my money's worth out of it 10 times over. I still want to get a TTR600. And to be honest, I need to get something that is more suitable for touring Europe on. There were a few times, having a sporty bike limited me. But when I was carving thru the Alps or doing 220 kph down the German autobahn, I was so happy on the VFR.
    And just look at that beautiful shade of blue.
    I am never selling this bike. I am not sure when I will ride it again. But it will be there waiting for me when I do come back
    The Cortech saddlebags worked awesome. I am so glad that I chose them for the bike.
    That Used Givi box that I bought for $40 did the trick as well. It was waterproof and kept my valuables safe
    And the Mosko Moto 30L backcountry duffle backpack that I used for my camping gear was ideal for its use. It is also the perfect size for an airplane carry-on bag

[​IMG]

I still have this issue to deal when I get back. That 18 inch tube lasted just long enough to get me back to CZ. It is losing air now and the wheel will need to be straightened.
    The steering head bearings and tires will also need to be replaced. The bike needs to be serviced and it will be ready for another lap around Europe.
    FortunatelyI never needed the recifier and stator that I bought and lost the first day. This 18 year old Honda VFR got me safely around Europe and back to the place I started from
    Mission Accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially considering how tight my budget was. I am relieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

I entitled this RR appropriately. I wanted to show everyone that you can have a great time in Europe for a lot less money that you would think. Yeah sure, I camped a fair amount and had to hike in to Bivaccos at times. But much of the time, I was staying in Airbnb places and with friends.
    I lost that $2900 on my first day of my trip and that made it even more challenging.
    Since I lost all my cash the first day, and I only had one bank card, I know exactly how much money I spent in the nearly four months traveling around Europe.
    I spent a total of $3200 plus $600 for the airbnb place in Italy the first month. So that is a total of $3800 - or about $1000 a month........IN EUROPE!!!!!
    I could have spent less. I could have not bought any wine of beer. I could have NOT hosted my friends. And I could have camped more.
    But go back and read what I accomplished in 4 months - places I've been and the places I went to - all for $1000 a month. I still ate lamb dinners. I bought bottles of wine. And I rode about 10,000 kms. Gas is not cheap in Europe so this was a large part of my expenses.
    BUt I hope this RR will inspire some people to experience Europe - now that you know it can be done for less than your car, phone, cable TV budget here in the States.
    All depends on your priorities.

So thanks for following along. I hope to get back out on the road again soon. But I am broke again.
    It sort of sucks coming home. I have no real job. I have no real place to stay. I am getting tired of this sort of homecoming. I need to make some sort of change.
    Ready for fate to lead me in a new direction.
    Ciao for now
  7. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best of luck Ed, and thanks for taking us along.
  8. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    We are all pulling for you.
  9. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on another great adventure Ed! Glad it all worked out in the end and once again, thanks for taking the time to bring us all along!!! :clap:clap:clap
  10. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Call me when you return.
    As always a great ride report.
  11. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Well played Sir! Tidy budget, lucky in love and injury free. 5 stars !!
  12. JanSerce

JanSerce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cokół

I cleaned up the VFR, getting it ready for storage. I am really impressed with this bike. I like it because it is not your typical Adventure bike.
    First thing I like about it is the way it looks. It is sporty. How many people do you see traveling on a sporty bike????
    Second thing I like about are the engine characteristics and the sound. If I can duplicate this feeling on all future bikes, I will be so happy. It has good torque down low (above 3000 rpms) and it pulls hard all the way up to 13,000. And it sounds so awesome doing it.
    What I don't like about it is the riding position. I think my days are finishing buying a bike with clip on bars. It not only gets tiring, it is difficult to ride because you don't have the leverage.
    I paid 2000 Euro or, $2300, for the bike. And I have only changed the oil and coolant. I have not done anything else to it. It still have the original tires, chain and sprockets that I bought it with. I haven''t even adjusted the chain. I just have put gas in it and go!!!! The amount of money I have invested in this bike would have covered 2 weeks rental of a comparable motorcycle in Europe. If this bike were to blow up tomorrow, I would have gotten my money's worth out of it 10 times over. I still want to get a TTR600. And to be honest, I need to get something that is more suitable for touring Europe on. There were a few times, having a sporty bike limited me. But when I was carving thru the Alps or doing 220 kph down the German autobahn, I was so happy on the VFR.
    And just look at that beautiful shade of blue.
    I am never selling this bike. I am not sure when I will ride it again. But it will be there waiting for me when I do come back
    The Cortech saddlebags worked awesome. I am so glad that I chose them for the bike.
    That Used Givi box that I bought for $40 did the trick as well. It was waterproof and kept my valuables safe
    And the Mosko Moto 30L backcountry duffle backpack that I used for my camping gear was ideal for its use. It is also the perfect size for an airplane carry-on bag

[​IMG]

I still have this issue to deal when I get back. That 18 inch tube lasted just long enough to get me back to CZ. It is losing air now and the wheel will need to be straightened.
    The steering head bearings and tires will also need to be replaced. The bike needs to be serviced and it will be ready for another lap around Europe.
    FortunatelyI never needed the recifier and stator that I bought and lost the first day. This 18 year old Honda VFR got me safely around Europe and back to the place I started from
    Mission Accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially considering how tight my budget was. I am relieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

I entitled this RR appropriately. I wanted to show everyone that you can have a great time in Europe for a lot less money that you would think. Yeah sure, I camped a fair amount and had to hike in to Bivaccos at times. But much of the time, I was staying in Airbnb places and with friends.
    I lost that $2900 on my first day of my trip and that made it even more challenging.
    Since I lost all my cash the first day, and I only had one bank card, I know exactly how much money I spent in the nearly four months traveling around Europe.
    I spent a total of $3200 plus $600 for the airbnb place in Italy the first month. So that is a total of $3800 - or about $1000 a month........IN EUROPE!!!!!
    I could have spent less. I could have not bought any wine of beer. I could have NOT hosted my friends. And I could have camped more.
    But go back and read what I accomplished in 4 months - places I've been and the places I went to - all for $1000 a month. I still ate lamb dinners. I bought bottles of wine. And I rode about 10,000 kms. Gas is not cheap in Europe so this was a large part of my expenses.
    BUt I hope this RR will inspire some people to experience Europe - now that you know it can be done for less than your car, phone, cable TV budget here in the States.
    All depends on your priorities.

So thanks for following along. I hope to get back out on the road again soon. But I am broke again.
    It sort of sucks coming home. I have no real job. I have no real place to stay. I am getting tired of this sort of homecoming. I need to make some sort of change.
    Ready for fate to lead me in a new direction.
    Ciao for now

What a cool trip Ed! Wish I could join you one day for at least part of it. Maybe when my 2 year old grows up a bit. I'm really glad you met this Polish chick. She sure matches your energetic personality. If you could continue relationship with her, there would be an epic end to this story. Bought the bike in Poland and then ended up with a girl in Poland! Kurwa!
    Im impressed with your VFR too, do so much riding without even lubbing the chain? My Suzuki's chain needs attention every 1000 miles or it will start to "complain". That blue bike still looks great, how many miles you got so far? When you stopped by my płace on your GS it looked like it went thru a lot but the Honda (except front rim) looks showroom. Are you planing to get it over to US or just keep it in Europe?
    Ed, thank you for taking us along on your another kick ass trip, posting videos, stories and pictures. I know it takes time that could be used for some more cuddling for example! I like to take pics when on the bike trips but I know its a pain in the ass too. Hope you recover quickly and still have the drive to continue with Rad in Africa. Cant wait for that!
    By the way, I forgot to ask you, did you look for TTR in Poland or eatern Europe? We got lucky with VFR so TTR could be there waiting for you too! Take care Buddy!
    Cloud-9 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  13. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And that damage to a rental rim would have been another 2k likely. Amazing. And your rental in Italy was a fantastic place.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  14. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along Ed, it's been a hell of a ride again. I am suprised by how well you managed after losing your valuables on day 1, shows your 'can-do' mentality. Thanks again for sharing the ups and downs in this European Edventure!
    All the best and hopefully some new Edventures for you soon.
  15. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, balance in the force you seek?
    Focus and you will find...
    Shifting of priorities....
    Best of luck
  16. Kostya

Kostya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. Enjoyed it as always.
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hosting us in Italy Ed. The day ride with your Airbnb hosts was one of the best rides I’ve done. Complete strangers, hosting strangers, in a foreign land with out speaking English. Brilliant! It’s what makes me wake up in the morning now.
  18. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great ride/life sharing!! Best of luck to you and may the Edventures continue!!
  19. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Always great to see your resourcefulness in action.
  20. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another great ride report!