Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Awesome Ride Report.
    Thanks again for showing us how it (could) be done. Those Bivacchos (sp) remind me of N.Z. mountain huts that I used a lifetime ago for the same cost savings.
    Great travels!!
    Gimme a shout when back in So.CA. Dinner (or street tacos) is on me.

Mike B.
    Downey, CA
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ed! Looking forward to your next update!
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Injury free!!!!!!. I thought about that when I was on the airplane flying back to California. I had some close calls but again, no crashes on the bike and no falls climbing mountains. Hitting that piece of metal in the road made me realize that a lot of it is just luck and how lucky I've been all these years.
    Regarding love...... when I met Tam or Orsi, we had a plan to see each other again. They had time and the resources to travel but most people are not in that position. People have jobs, family, limited disposable income and Visa restrictions that keep them from being a globe trotter. We might be able to meet up in Thailand for a week this winter or in Poland next summer but at the moment, we haven't made any plans. And without a plan, it will be difficult to keep that flame alive.
    JanSerce, Foiler and VisionPilot like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    None of this would have been possible if you didn't find the best VFR in all Europe.
    I did lube the chain. I just never had to adjust it in the 13,000 kms that I have ridden it since I bought it last year. For now, the bike will stay in Europe. I couldn't legally import it for another 6 years.
    Next year, I will have you help me find a TTR in Poland. I never looked there as the best chance of finding one was in Italy.
    Rad and I are planning a Rad-icle Ed-venture next month. I need to make some money quickly or it might just be a Rad-venture
    Foiler, JanSerce, VisionPilot and 5 others like this.
  5. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    :drinkGreat Ed-capade and Ed-perience! Well done as always!
    Riding with your Bro again!!! Nice!

Baja Tours again this winter?
  6. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    Another great ride report! Thanks for sharing all this, and looking forward to the next one...
    Brian
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am waiting for people sign up for a Baja tour. But I hope to.
    JanSerce and Foiler like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This 4 month chapter of my life was weird. When I made plans to go to Europe for the summer, i was in a relationship with Orsi. We were planning to travel together.
    And after we broke up, i still went ahead with my plans without her.
    I still planned to rent a secluded place in the Italian Alps for an entire month. I still planned to go to the beaches in Montenegro. All these plans were engineered around traveling with someone. And frankly, it didn't work. I did the best i could to enjoy my time. What I do best solo are my Edventures......hiking into the Bivaccos or getting into animal preserves and getting chased by wild elephants.
    But this trip was engineered to be romantic. And traveling solo, a romantic trip is not a good choice.
    Honestly, meeting the Polish girl was the highlight of my trip. I can only call it a success because the last week came together.
    I learned something about myself this summer. When i am not in a relationship, I need to stick to my Edventures. If I head back to Europe solo, i would find more Bivaccos, climb more mountains (via Ferrata) and camp out more.
    If I am in a relationship, Airbnb would be our friend. And then we would explore those areas more.

I see myself wanting to explore some countries that I haven't visited yet. For me, I have already explored most of Europe so there is not much left for me to discover.
    Next year, I would like to see if I can get to
    Japan
    Mongolia
    Indonesia
    And Australia
    I am going to need to find the resources to make this happen.
    The next chapter is now and i am looking forward to writing it.
  9. baal.moloch

baal.moloch I am the one you warned me of.

Oddometer:
    You are a source of motivation and inspiration. Somehow, strangely, you managed to enter in our life by sharing yours.
    Thank you, and take care. Kurva !
    JanSerce and dano619 like this.
  10. Travis Lutter

Travis Lutter MMA

Oddometer:
    What bike would you use in Mongolia? Great ride report.
  11. GuyM76

GuyM76 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks for taking the time.
    The VFR is a legendary bike, think you found out why. Superb motor, great Honda reliability and a really usable package. I'm sure there are bar riser kits out there to help with the riding position.
    Cheers.
  12. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:

You're making the world feel small....When you get back in the saddle, we'll be here :thumb
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lalo. Thanks again for taking us along in your great edventure. You continue to inspire us and if I can do only a fraction of what you've done, then I would feel accomplished.

Take care and hope to see you again in SoCal.
  14. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed
    As the others stated great report. Many thanks for your hospitality at your secluded Italian alps hideaway. Memorable ride with those locals.
    When local Italians offer to lead you on a ride HANG ON!!

In sure we'll meet up again somewhere...maybe Mongolia?

Dan
  15. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us a long Ed.

I think my favorite part was when you where riding and hiking out to the Bivaccos. That looks like a way to spend some time.
  16. Tripletrouble

Tripletrouble Farkle addict

Oddometer:
    Nicely done, I enjoyed the Edventure. Thank you as always.
  17. Francistor83

Francistor83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for sharing all your stories Ed. Wishing you all the best for the next months, keep us updated!
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Beggars can't be choosers.
    I called this one tour company that rents out KTMs for their tours. They said they normally dont rent to solo travellers and their bikes are only for tours. But for me, they would make an exception. I would need to have a support vehicle with me just in case. The price would be $3000 for a month. I told them my total daily budget with food, gas and bike rental was $1000. And I never heard back from them.
    My guess is it will be some little Chinese bike or what ever I can get with a motor and 2 wheels
  19. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it may be worth selling/trading your 1200 for a 800gsa and ship it. other mongolia ride reports note little or no support locally.
  20. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Japan would be cool - they have those little screamer motorcycles etc :D but will be expensive. We have one guy in Serbia who traveled to Japan. It was his dream and after he finished the trip he was little dissapointed with kinda cold people there. Little interactions, not very helpfull like you will find when traveling eastern Europe for example, or Balkan. And you know what Im talking about. They invited you in their homes and you are stranger to them. In Japan, it will be harder for sure.
    -
    Mongolia - Hard mode, you would need well prepaired bike and gear for that. Can be cheap, cheapest option for sure. But I found scenery of Mongolia usually bland and empty.
    -
    Indonesia - would be cool to see that, don't know if I read some motorcycle travels in Indonesia.
    -
    Australia. Probably 2nd most expensive one after Japan. I read few trips here from Australia. Looks nice, but its comfortable, just like Western Europe.

So my vote is Indonesia or Japan.