Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    I agree, Japan is going to be a little different than the normal "Find an abandoned place to camp" Ed that we are used to. Not saying it's going to be impossible, just a little more difficult. But I'm certainly going to be reading no matter what he ends up doing.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Can we see Africa Ed style? That would be a true challenge even for you. Just a thought
    flyingdutchman177, td63 and shuswap1 like this.
  3. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    He did the NW Coast already. Hard knocks there, dirty beaches. I just don't think Africa is what it once was anynore. They've been introduced to Western "goods and lifestyles". I think most of Somalia is working at Denver International Airport. ;-)
  4. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed..remember our plan

Plans change, but the GWagen and the DRZ is waiting for Nairobi.

Wherever you and @cejnys ride I will be following

Awesome RR as I said earlier, get in touch when you settle in California:imaposer.

Romero
    Francistor83 likes this.
  5. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Sprint had 1" risers on it when I got it. That and I take a lot of air in the chest with with OEM windshield which takes weight off the wrists. Those two and the Corbin Gunfighter allowed me to do 1,500 miles a couple weekends ago out to southern Utah and back to Golden over three days and never felt uncomfortable. I'm 6'2" with a 32 inseam.

Thank you brother for this chapter, I enjoyed the ride.
  6. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rad and I just confirmed our plans today for our upcoming Rad-icle Ed-venture!!!!!!
    It will start about this time next month and we hope to add some new passport stamps to our books. One such stamp will be for penetrating the poorest country in the world outside of Africa. Protective measures will be needed to ensure our health and safety and our rtw training will be stiffly adhered to.
    Of course, we will be traveling on 2 wheels -exactly what, is yet to determined.
    In other words, we have no idea what we will be riding.
    This is going to be epic and we are going to try and take as much video as possible.....just might not be able to post it all here as we condom this behavior.
    This is going to be good.
    JanSerce, elron, BillUA and 20 others like this.
  7. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    george248 and shuswap1 like this.
  8. Romero

Oddometer:

upload_2019-10-14_11-24-56.jpeg

Good exchange rate to $USD

Xe.com
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I think Japan is going to be an amazing country to Edventure around in - mostly because of it's people. Sure they are reserved but I feel they might be the most humble and genuine people in the world. We'll see if my impression changes.
    As far as camping and sleeping, I will do as I always do - just roll with it. There might not be many abandoned places there or maybe there will be. I might find that the temples are my best hotel. Or maybe the people will provide shelter for me. I never know how things will go down until I get a feel for it after I arrive. But that is what makes it an Edventure.
  10. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Freudian slip? I think not!
    This is going to be epic!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  11. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Wondered about that myself, but better safe than sorry!
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok, one last post here on this RR
    If you recall, in the first hour of trip, I lost nearly $3000 in cash (plus a lot of valuable items) on the airport bus.
    It was a really bad way to start my trip.
    The bus driver most likely took everything as I was the last one off the bus and he was finished for the day and taking the bus back to the yard for the night. So it was just him, the bus and my bag.......do the math.

Besides not having any cash, my new credit card was not set up yet and the PIN wasn't working. So I found myself for the first few days without cash or access to my remaining funds.
    I didn't sleep for 2 days. I was able to hang out in the lobby of a hotel in the heart of Prague for free to get off the street and use their internet to try and sort things out.
    I never asked anyone to give me money. I figured I would figure it out somehow (Actually I asked my dad and he said I was pretty bold to ask to borrow some money to replace the money I lost). So much for family support.
    But I did get a few unsolicited PM's from fellow inmates - some from guys I had never met before - asking if they could somehow help. They were able to put some money into my Paypal account. Every little bit helped. Then I transferred it to my CZ brother Rad. Then he transferred it to his family in CZ and then his family gave me some much needed cash.
    I am not blogging here on Advrider, Instagram or Facebook with the intent of trying to make money. The people that do seem so fake. Most of these guys are posting rerun stories and photos and they spend most of their time selling and promoting themselves (when they are actually doing very little of what they are trying to promote. More fake news and fake people if you ask me.
    I am sharing my experiences here and on my social media pages for two reasons
    1) To meet new people
    2) To inspire others to live their life the way their choose and not necessarily follow society norms
    So without mentioning inmate names, I wanted to say thanks to those that helped out in my time of need. I couldn't have done it without you. You know who you are and so do I!!!!!
    Also, since I've been back, I have been catching up with old friends as well as new ones.
    For many reasons, sometimes I don't share all my stories here (to protect the guilty.....namely me). But after a couple of Imperial Stouts, the "good" stories come out.
    Here I am meeting up for dinner and beers at my local watering hole (Provisions) in Orange CA with a fellow inmate that drove down from Oxnard to hear some of these untold stories.
    Circle of Trust Man!!!

[​IMG]

Next Rad-icle Ed-venture starts in 30 days

x
    BruceT, MaNDan, george248 and 37 others like this.
  13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please post a link to your new RR once underway.

There is a lot of us that would like to follow along from day 1.
    Foiler, horsti, VisionPilot and 4 others like this.
  14. Romero

Oddometer:
    Our paths will cross again my brother, welcome back, now get the hell outta here.

Looking forward to the next RR, send my best to Rad.

Romero
  15. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In spite of the stress, this Ed-venture was awesome!
    I for one, thoroughly enjoyed it, and can't wait for the next chapter.
    Hmmm, what bike will it be? What country? How long? You, Mr. Ed, are one crazy dude! (and I like your taste in Beer)
    All the best buddy!
    J
  16. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic report! You ever get to the east coast you got a place to stay for a bit.. just sayin
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Look for the new report to kick off within the next 30 days.
    Rad and I plan to visit at least 2 new countries- one of which is on the brink of civil war. The US State Department has issued travel warnings advising against travel there.
    We are not even sure we will be able to make our way in. But since the country is so corrupt, we figure we can bribe our way in.
    I am bringing a stack of 100 dollar bills as leverage.....
    We are hoping to be a long way past the border before they realize the bills we have are all counterfeit
    We have a lot of tricks up our sleeves and are getting ready for some Rad-icle Ed-ventures
    BruceT, oic, Francistor83 and 17 others like this.
  18. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, sticking close to home, then, eh? ;)
  19. Kostya

Kostya Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hispaniola?
    td63 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  20. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Excellent report as always. Please keep on not being a social media "influencer," because as you correctly note there are far too many of them already and seemingly very few people in it for the right reasons.