Impecunious and Indigent European Edventure - gonna make this a rich summer on a tiny budget

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 26, 2019.

1. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your reporting on the conditions, my plan WAS to be there the 2nd week of June, better to be changing that schedule! :y0!
  2. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    oops, that was supposed to read "2nd week of July", but still.....
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Losing nearly $3000 and a lot of important stuff really got me down.

Most people spend their time living in a routine. And that can be comforting.
    But for me, while traveling on the road, every day is different and it can be quite the adventure (risk and uncertainty).
    It is sort of the price you pay when stepping outside of your comfort zone.
    I think I am sort of past it now.

But the rewards are beautiful views and experiences like this (photo above).

One thing that is different about this European Edventure is - I have no one special to share it with (unlike my last few times here).
    I find it nice to not have the extra 50 kg of weight on my bike (plus extra gear, perfume, angel cards and lotions). Plus it is nice to make decisions on my own.
    But it will lonely at times - especially in the evenings, when the sun has gone down and there is not much to do.

I have a new passport with a lot of empty pages to be stamped.
    It is comforting to bring your own sand to the beach, but it is more Edventurous to go find your own out there. But there is not much sand in the middle of the Alps to play with.
    Trade offs I suppose.
    Which do you prefer?
    For me, it best to keep busy and active during the day and fall asleep quickly at night - not dwell on it
  4. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohhhhhh, I have a feeling there is some sand just around the corner!! Mr. Magic String!! :)
    VisionPilot and td63 like this.
  5. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it was unfortunate you lost your stuff! But in the end you still have your health. And your still riding. Things will for sure look up. More and more as you make your sweeping turns during your edventures. Keep on rolling and continue doing what you are doing. It will all work out.
    Great pics by the way.
    td63 likes this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Things are definitely looking up. I have this awesome place in the Alps. I have my beautiful blue VFR800 - which is such an awesome machine to ride the Alps. I also plan to explore a lot on foot in the mountains.
    I still have the magic string as well. Time to unleash its powers.
    Shaaa-zam!
    UMG, Kona990, BillUA and 15 others like this.
  7. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now your talking !
  8. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like where your head is at.
  9. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was a young man, my dad told me, “Just remember, son, you can love a rich girl just as easy as a poor girl. Maybe even easier”. I never did find that rich girl, but I got a really good middle class girl! I can’t wait to see what unfolds for you next, girl or no girl!
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I don't think the same holds true for women. They seem to find it easier to love rich guys.
    Foiler, forgorin, VisionPilot and 4 others like this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Stelvio Pass was closed on the Italian side for another month. This was bad news for me as it meant a long detour. But it also meant more of the Alps to explore.

[​IMG]

Good thing taking pictures in Switzerland are still free, otherwise I couldnt afford this shot in St. Moritz

[​IMG]

Still cold and icy up on the high passes in June.

[​IMG]

Finally made it on into Italy. I started in CZ the day before. Went thru Germany, Austria, and Switzerland to get there.

[​IMG]

Home!
    Welcome to Cimbergo Italy!!!!
    This is the little village I will be hanging out in for the next month. It is in a great location with awesome hiking in the area and some of the best motorcycle roads in the Alps to explore. If you are in the area, send me a PM. I would love to have you over. It is a small place but you will have a nice couch to sleep on in the living room.......unless I fancy you and then the bedroom will be an option.
    [​IMG]
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, we are only 430 km of small very twisty roads away, but if the weather gets better in Switzerland and we have time we will try to make it. I'll get in touch.
    Have fun and ride safe
    Cheers Thomas
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    You are welcome.......in fact, all Advrider inmates are welcome (everyone but GSBruce of course).
    Or maybe I will see you in CH
    I am here until July 7th.
    Then off to the Balkins for some fun in the sun.
    JanSerce likes this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Cortech makes some excellent soft luggage. They bill themselves as building "the world's fastest luggage". And they held up well at Autobahn speeds. But they need to work on their stickers.......lol

[​IMG]
    JanSerce, Foiler, kumatae and 2 others like this.
  15. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed
    Sorry for your little setback earlier. You put it very well that it's a small inconvenience for the traveling we are fortunate to do.
    I just got into Switzerland yesterday and there is a bit of weather about. Luckily I took a chance and was rewarded with this view.

If we never leave our safe predictable lives we won't get the opportunity to see what's on the other side.

When I make it down to Italy dinner and drinks are on me to celebrate!!

Dan

20190611_192007.jpg 20190611_113719.jpg
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It's cold, wet rainy day here.
    I just arrived but it is not to early to start planning the rest of my European trip.
    July 7th, I will leave this place in Northern Italy - and head into first Slovenia, the Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia and MonteNegro. That will take me into the better part of August.
    Then I will take a ferry (ugh) to Bari Italy and ride up the boot back into the Alps. Depending on my money situation, maybe look for a TTR600 along the way. I plan to leave a lot of my gear here that I am currently carrying (with the anticipation of buying an enduro bike) so I will return to Cimbergo to pick that stuff up and head into CZ at the end of August.
    In September, I want to head back into the High Tatras (Slovakia and Poland) to do some more trekking. Then back to CZ at the middle of the month to drop off my bike and fly back to Southern California.
    If you are anywhere near my path of travel, let's meet up. If you have a couch and shower, all the better. My Gold, Platinum and Diamond charge cards were all lost in my luggage........yeah right!
    Send me a PM if you are in Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, Austria, Bosnia Her., Serbia, Montenegro, Czech Rep., Slovakia or Southern Poland.
    Thanks!
    Kona990, JanSerce, kumatae and 6 others like this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Quite the lightning show last night.
    I am using this time to plan out my journeys this month.
    Look forward to meeting up
    Just let me know when
    kumatae and VTbeemer like this.
  18. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Hope all us well brother!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  19. #1Fan

#1Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time for the magic string??!! Italy seems like a good place to bust it out! Glad things are looking up for you, Ed!!
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer: