Import Google Map into Basecamp

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by bobframe, Jul 18, 2017.

1. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody really cares about your computer and the smug feeling it gives you.
  2. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't gpsbabel handle this?

https://www.gpsbabel.org/
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    you post was marked "unsafe" by three different anti virus labs.

I gotta dozen popups telling me so, on winders

;-)
  4. chornbe

chornbe The monkey's football Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meh. I've had more than one occasion where the GPS (Zumo) is more than happy to aggressively reformulate the route and I'm standing there looking at it like "well, you dumbass, you completely cut off the one road in this part of the state that matters." :(

Or it gets confused and wants you to make turns to go straight and gets a little hung up on things like that.

If basecamp wasn't such a colossally, embarrassingly, pathetically bad piece of software, and kept up with some modern paradigms of UI/UX, this might just be a non-issue.
  5. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this is why you use tracks and/or waypoints and not straight routes. Routes are really just for getting from point A to B when you don’t really care how. Setting avoidances or ‘curvy road’ preferences help auto routing but nothing beats reviewing every turn in satellite view.
    wbbnm, EmmEff and dtaylor like this.
  6. chornbe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 'cause I've got that kind of time.

Yeah, as you say, I just set all the avoidances and look for the twisty, curvy stuff. But in this case I was putting something together for my wife who was doing a weekend with her son and wanted some "off the beaten path" stuff, too. It was an asinine attempt.

To quote that guy in the Oval Office... "Sad!"
  7. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Maybe this is not what you are looking for, but if you look for the option "automatically recalculate route" (or something like that) and disable it. The device will follow the route you planned on basecamp.
  8. chornbe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, fooled about with that on a couple of different imports; it's almost like the actual position (of waypoints and/or along-the-road anchors to keep the route intact) exported from google and imported to Garmin don't make sense to each other.

In any case, I just suffered through working solely in Basecamp. It's pretty terrible. And slow. And clunky. But it worked. :\
  9. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are other programs (Like Revver and CoPilot) that can output GPX files that will load right in to the Nav V/VI. Basecamp not required. The basic problem with Google My Maps is that the KML files need to be converted.