1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Importing a bike from Germany (PCS move)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by thesurvivalist, Jan 6, 2014.

1. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It going to be my time to re-up soon. Im considering trying to get Germany as my next duty station before myI lose my chance.

I know I can ship on one vehicle back. I may leave my Usdm car here and buy a 25yr merc g wagen, ur quattro or something cool and rare in the US.

What is the deal with motorcycles? Can thwy be put in household goods as with a conus pcs?

I really would like a dr big, tenere or africa twin. Once stateside are they easy to register and insure?
  2. TrattoRAZ

TrattoRAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles can be shipped with household goods. However, in order to ship to CONUS it must be US spec's or more than 25 years old.
  3. xavier296

xavier296 Alaska n'Back

Oddometer:
    I bought a US spec BMW GS in Germany while living in Italy. There are a few dealerships that will sell you one for way below US prices and no tax. i had no problem bringing it back to the states. I also brought back my 79 BMW R100 with no problems due to it's age.

Easy day.
  4. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Democratic Republic of the Disunited States
    You can buy a US Spec BMW in Spandau. I believe bikes can be shipped from Bremerhaven just like a POV.
  5. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.
  6. hpsVFR

hpsVFR Hoosier Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    WRT the Africa Twin specifically, head over to the Africa Twin thread in Beasts. There's a bunch of guys there who know all the ins and outs of registering those bikes here in the states, and there most definitely are examples with US registrations that are less than 25 years old. There's a 2000 AT located in Pennsylvania over in the flea market, for example.
  7. TrattoRAZ

TrattoRAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can buy US specs BMW at pretty much any place that has a military base. There is one particular dealer in K-Town that specialized in US specs sales.

Military customs officials will not allow import of vehicle that does not meet importation requirements (i.e. US specs or over 25 years old).

There may be gray market exceptions in the US. I have heard stories of how its done through Canada or using doctored paperwork. This method is risky and to be considered an exception. Most definitely not imported through military transportation system.