Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
  2. jaydo

jaydo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just imported a bike on Monday. No problems. I think there is a 180 day extension for compliance with the new rules.

It seems in the future importing will require a broker to file a AES, when purchasing from a private seller.
  3. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:

implimentaion delayed until Jan 2015. The AES is only one of the problems.

Read the following from the Winnipeg Free Press. Private sales are going to be a problem.

Simply, it ends up being the Canadians' responsibility to make sure AES filing is done, because that vehicle is not going to get into the country (Canada) unless you are provided with an ITN, an internal transaction number," Franzmann said. A potential problem is that to complete the AES filing, the U.S. seller is required to have a federal tax identification number called an EIN. Private individuals in the U.S. might not have an EIN number but, under the new rule, the American seller will have to get one to comply with the AES filing.
    That means taking the time to apply to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and some private sellers don't want to do that.
    "What we're telling our customers is find out if the seller has or will get an EIN number. If the seller won't, don't buy or get your money back," Franzmann said.
  4. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are just importing the frame, you shouldn't need all the paperwork required for riding an actual motorcycle across the border.
    You will need a bill of sale as they will probably want to charge you the GST on the frame.
    Once you have a whole motorcycle put together, it will need fitness certificate (not unlike the inspection certificate needed when selling the bike) depending on which province you live in.

OOPS, just noticed you live in France. I have no idea what the procedures are USA to EU.
  5. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question:

I have just bought a Moto Guzzi Griso in Wa State and would like to ride it across the border into BC.

The bike has valid 'tags' until Aug./15. The seller is letting me use the plates.

Do I merely purchase the 'binder' insurance from ICBC and with the valid Wa plates, ride her across?

Note, I will go through the process of clearing US and Canadian Customs, RIV and CDN Tire.

Thanks Guys.
  6. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I did.
  7. v4forever

v4forever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LVGS,
    Just remember that the USBPA needs the faxed title 72 hours before you bring it across. Once you get the email to say you got the go ahead to bring it across, your as good as gold.
    I did it at the Blaine truck crossing and it was a walk in the park. Easy-Peasy
  8. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you both. I have the USBPA email, title, bill of sale and recall clearance in hand. Was hoping to ride, rather than trailer, the bike across.
  9. v4forever

v4forever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode mine from Illinois. Just get the ICBC binders interm certificate and away you go. I also needed a Illinois permit $10 also. Sounds like you are using the previous owners insurance, so you might not need your own insurance or permit.
    His insurance should be good in the US and Can.
  10. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To clarify, he has no insurance on the bike. However, the plates/tags are valid until 2015 and he is allowing me to use them. I understand that gives me the legal right to ride the bike in Wa state. Coupled with the ICBC binder insurance, I should have the coverage I need.
  11. Bingo21

Bingo21 one is not enough

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to read this thread from start but it just keeps getting complicated and i lose track. I see the rules are changing currently, could someone sum up for me how the process right now bringing a bike over from states work ( as if explaining to a complete noob!) . So far personally i just don't see it as worth the hassle doing it. Especially with the upcoming changes i think ive read about but i may be wrong. Feel free to encourage me. I just keep seeing more interesting bikes over the border rather than here. If its only for the sake of a few hundred or even a thousand bucks maybe i'd buy here for ease but much more does have me looking.
    thanks
  12. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Sam me boy....welcome to Canada mate!! Its like a giant, friendly (yet somewhat passive aggressive), and frozen onion. So many layers...:lol3:lol3:freaky
  13. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have been reading through this thread and not sure if there is an answer to this. Sorry in advance if missed it.

Anyway..

I'm in British Columbia and was doing an extended vacation in California a few years ago. Bought a 05 Honda CRF250R closed course bike from a dealer. Eventually left the bike in long term storage with a friend Cali and brought back all the paper work (reg, bill of sale etc). Had planned on returning to deal with it but plans changed.

Recently a group of friends went dirt biking in the states and while visiting my friend where the bike was stored, talked the guy into letting them borrow the bike.

They than ran into a family emergency and came back to British Columbia with my bike in their enclosed trailer and got through customs with it.

Due to the new British Columbia OHV rules, I will need to register this bike with ICBC at some point and I'm starti9ng to get stressed.

Could someone advise as to what the best way would be do deal with this predicament???

Thanks!
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    So the bike is in BC and not registered thru customs?

Take the paperwork you have (registration and bill of sale) and go to the border and see Canada customs to begin the import process on what is called form 1.

It doesn't need to be stressful but theirs steps you need to take.

good luck
  15. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on my experience, the bike needs to be physically in the States before it can be exported. I believe US Customs cite this as an explicit requirement. That being the case, you would need to take the bike back across the border, submit the application for exportation to the US border authority (requires 72 hours for processing). Once approved, they will stamp the title 'approved for export' or words to that effect and you bring it through. The RIV website provides details regarding the process on our side.
  16. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the bike is not intended to operate on public roads, there is no need for "registration". I'm speaking from my experience of importing a KTM300. The government just wants their money (GST/PST). If you have a valid bill of sale from your original purchase, I'd say let it ride, and don't do anything. When the pending legislation regarding the registration of off-road vehicles goes through, you will have to register it and pay PST on it at that time.
  17. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well firstly thanks for the reply's.

Yes the bike is in BC - and I'm a bit pissed with my so call friends.

Being a strictly non-plated off road bike I had the same thoughts as above. Once the legislation becomes offical, take my California registration etc into ICBC and see what happens.

With that said, would this then give me a clear Canadian title to sell the bike in Canada??????

I did some more reading though this thread and did find a post in this thread about taking the bike, papers etc to the Canadian Border Services Agency at the airport and they can to the transfer there since being a closed coarse completion bike (it specifically says this in the owners manual which I have for the bike) you don't need to go through RIV.

I'm trying to do the right thing here and I respect the comments so far. I'm going wait a bit to see if anyone else has some advise here.

I then think I'm going to go have a friendly chat with my ICBC girls and get there take.

Then contact CBSA.

Ya I mean I'm not losing sleep over this - I'm just usually more together with my sh$%^..........

filterx
  18. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are making one hell of a mountain out of this mole hill. Look at it this way, you have proof that you bought the bike, where doesn't really matter. Think about how many of us that will have bikes with absolutely NO purchase proof/record for our strict dirt bikes when it comes to registration time, you are way ahead of the curve.:D

Don't go to the CBSA, if you do that you are kicking the proverbial hornets nest. Not because of registration, they don't care about that, after all its not a road legal bike nor ever will be, but because they didn't get to collect the GST on the purchase price when it was brought into Canada.:puke1 So essentially it was smuggled illegally into Canada and could be SEIZED when you show up with it.:eek1 From my admittedly limited exposure to the CBSA representatives, being reasonable is not in their nature.:deal
  19. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right - advice taken

The smuggled in part and CBSA is something I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks again
  20. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    bad advice from farmerger

You will not get ICBC registration for a US bike that has not been imported legally. You are however correct that the bike has been smuggled illegally into Canada however it won't be seized if you elect to import it legally.

The best advice is to import the bike legally. This requires the motorcycle be returned to the US prior to the import process. Search this thread for details on the import the process. It's not that difficult and you do not need to consult with CBSA in advance

The longer you put it off the more difficult it will be to resolve the problem.

The following is from the RIV site. I think this may apply to your motorcycle.:

Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. These vehicles are exempt from the RIV program provided they: bear a label affixed by the manufacturer stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition, or is accompanied by a signed declaration clearly indicating that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed-course competition. This signed declaration MUST come from a racing sanctioning body, i.e. FIA, AMA, CART, etc.

<competition vehicles="" are="" designed="" for="" use="" exclusively="" in="" closed-course="" competition.="" these="" exempt="" from="" the="" riv="" program="" provided="" they:="" bear="" a="" label="" affixed="" by="" manufacturer="" stating,="" both="" official="" languages,="" that="" vehicle="" is="" competition="" and="" competition,="" or="" accompanied="" signed="" declaration="" clearly="" indicating="" this="" must="" come="" racing="" sanctioning="" body,="" i.e.="" fia,="" ama,="" cart,="" etc.=""></competition>