Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To clarify.

I imported into Canada, through the Blaine U.S. customs office. The ITN # is required now to get your bike into Canada; I posted the link of the company that I used, they have a U.S. branch. U.S. customs was not a problem.

CDN customs were the issue.
  2. Kotbullar

Kotbullar Sometime, you gotta slow down ....

Oddometer:
    Am curious about an ITN number, and its purpose. have never needed one for my past imports.
  3. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When was your last import?

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) also requires under CBP regulations 19 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 192 that all used self-propelled vehicles be presented to CBP for inspection prior to export along with the presentation of the title and/or any other documentation showing ownership 72 hours prior to export along with the Internal Transaction Number from AES."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...2S0tEbQ==/~/internal-transaction-number-(itn)

4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Old Git.

Oddometer:
    I have most of my '99 Buell M2 in a crate that I brought with me from France (sentimental but not economic I know).
    I brought everything except the frame as "Used motorcycle parts". A friend in Chicago has a frame with clear title that he'll give me to rebuild my old hoss.
    My question is, how do I go about importing the bare frame into Canada? I realise that it's over 15yrs old so I don't have to worry about the RIV, but other than that I don't know where to start, as all the official sites tell you is how to do a complete vehicle.
    Anyone done this recently?
    Alternatively does anyone know of a '99-02 Buell M2 or S3 frame with Canadian papers going cheap?
  5. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    At a buck fourty-two we are more likely to see Canadian bikes going to the US vs the opposite.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yep, for sure. Guys are down below talking about coming north and buying Africa Twins when they show up. Similar MSRP's in both countires.

I was looking at some used Tenere's. Cheaper to buy a new 2015 here, then it would be to buy a used 2014 there.

I just sold an FJR that I bought in Mi a couple yrs ago. Our dollar was 94 cents and good deals were very plentiful. Now, not so much.

7. PGagy

PGagy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He confiscates 2-3 bikes per week? What does he do with them after confiscation? They are probably auctioned off for real cheap! Where is this auction held? May have some good finds. Unless it was an empty threat.
  8. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Couldn't tell you how valid the threat was, or where all the bike go - they have a job to do - I get that - he just happened to be an A-Hole doing his job.
  9. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, question about this EIN/AES.....I clicked on the AES link and it seemed to take me to a "importers"page, is this trying to direct traffic to use a importer? I am really unclear what these regulations are and how it impacts me as a private person buying a bike from a private person. I imported a bike a few years ago and had the bill of sale,the title and the recall letter at the border.

No issues whatsoever importing.

Is there new paperwork to be done now? If a seller from here(USA) is to sell a bike to a canadian, what does the seller need to do on his end now? My seller did the recall letter, as required and I paid him and the title and bill of sale went to the border. As per usual.

Can someone clearly spell out what these new acronyms mean and how they get in the way of me buying a bike from the states, from a private seller?
  10. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Interesting post... "bump"
  11. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
  12. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I go to pay my tax at the border is it determined from the US selling price or do they convert it to CAD and you pay the tax on that number?

If my bike is 6000 USD is that what my 13% tax rate is or will I pay tax on the almost 8000 CAD that it converts to?
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You pay the tax on the converted to CAD$ amount.
  14. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figures...
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Bought a couple bikes and a couple rvs when our dollar was a 1.05+ several yrs back. Those were sweet deals.

16. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is why the bill of sale is so crucial...*ahem*...wink wink...nudge nudge.... You pay tax on what the "Bill of Sale" lists. Dosen't have to be official...a hand written note signed by both parties will suffice. As long as the amount isn't ridiculous...say...$1000 for a brand new GSA 1200....you're G2G.
  17. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to be careful as they can and will ask for details on the listing. If its still on the web they will look at the listing and asking price and if the two aren't close you may have a problem.
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats all fine and good. What does that prove? So you haggled the guy down. If he says you paid him X amount and signed off on that, they cant say much. I listed my 990 for $12000 ended up selling for $9500....is CBSA or Border Services going to nail you because your add on ADVrider says the larger amount??:lol3
  19. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sadly, yes. If you also have proof of payment, like a money order copy or electronic transfer record, you'll be fine. But if you paid in cash, and the price you claim is $2500 less than the asking price, they may get nasty.
    Pedersoli likes this.
  20. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last bike I brought over I kept all the emails, financial transactions, and the original ad to give to the CBSA. The first BMW I imported they were convinced I was trying to screw the system and they even made several attempts to contact the seller on the price paid on the bike. He wasn't home so I was stuck at the crossing for an hour while they pissed around. The reasoning they gave me. "That's a BMW, and they are expensive so you must have paid much more than what it says on your notarized bill of sale" eventually they let me go but the ad on here had been deleted so they figured I was up to no good.
    Ultra54 likes this.