Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a brief post to let you know that RIV WILL accept a Recall Clearance Letter from an American BMW dealership. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY BMW CANADA or any of their dealerships, $500 to produce it you i.e. in spite of what they tell you.:deal

Ride West in Seattle provided me, without charge, a recall letter for the bike that I just imported several weeks ago. Note, I did not buy the bike from them.

Overall, the experience was relatively straight forward and everyone was extremely polite and professional including US and Canada Border/Customs, RIV and ICBC. Canadian Tire was the only exception.

I would definitely do it again and love my (new) R1150GS.:thumb

And, before I forget, thanks to everyone participating on this thread. Its been extremely helpful.:beer
  2. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of importing a vehicle from Washington State and would have to go through much the same procedures. Since the vehicle is less than 15 years from date of manufacture, I would have to have a Crappy Tire do the 'inspection'.
    Please let us know what was exceptional about the CDN Tire experience and which outlet you used -- just so we know which one to avoid.
  3. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Looks like BC is a lot easier than ontario to ride a bike into.

As stated earlier in this thread you can't get an ontario trip permit without having the bike safety checked and registered (well why would I need a friggin permit then??)
    I've tried to ride a bike home legally in ontario before and had no choice but to just throw whatever plate I have on it.
    I guess depending on the rules of the state you buy out of a state trip permit might get you home if your insurance company with cover you.
  4. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    On another twist that no one talk is don't some states take 2 or more weeks to get you everything you need ? Am I missing a brain cell here ??? There are times I thought of flying to Las vegus and buying down there. The honda helix I want just don't show up in Canada often.
  5. canuckAME

canuckAME Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a truck in Minnesota. I don't think the state had anything to do with the sale. The US border port where you will export the vehicle thru to Canada requires at least a copy of the title 72 hours before you plan to take the vehicle over the border.

They do some kind of searches of the VIN before you can export the vehicle. When you take the vehicle over the border the US customs will require the actual title certificate and will stamp it cleared for export.

If you deal with a dealer get it written into the sales contract that if you can't export the bike for any reason that they take it back. Covers your ass if sometime in the past the bike was stolen or something.

Make sure it's on the R.I.V list as admissable to Canada.

Good luck.
  6. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    does anyone know the details of importing a bike that's not on the admissibility list?
    Case in point: 09 990 ADV, the list stops at 07.
    Trying to contact KTM NA but it's like pulling teeth.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    :ear
  7. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    Soooo to answer my own question :gerg

the only way to bring an inadmissible bike from the US to Canada is to import it through a registered importer such as MIAC.
    Paper work usually runs between $500-1K additionally but they handle everything, you just pick up the bike and show up at the border. :thumb
  8. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    here is some further info:

www.miacinc.ca

Motorcycle Importers Association of Canada

$500 Transport Canada letter
    $175 brokerage fee

anybike, from practicaly anywhere...:thumb
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    did I mention I was dislexic?
    :hide
    edited my last post, thanks emmeff
  11. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    wow :thumb thats fantastic info, diablo!! maybe there'll be an 1190ADV-R in my future :evil
  12. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you guys really think it's that easy? don't you think that many of us in canada have tried ? i would very much like to see someone really do it. let us know how you did it and how much it costs. there are a lot of bikes in europe i would love to have
    YAMAHA SUPER TENERE 1200, HERE I COME

NORTH RIDER
  13. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    Yea, they told me they needed that at the crossing into Manitoba too but when I asked the Canadian guys they said they didn't care about it. I've stopped bothering with that step since and have imported many vehicles without incident.

14. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    I have imported a Range Rover, exported Corvettes, and imported several bikes. I've had (and won) several wars with Customs and Ministry of Transportation when they tried to gauge me for fees I didn't owe, etc. PM me if I can be of assistance.
  15. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the export clearance provided by the U.S. CBP, you're right, the Canadian guys don't care as it has nothing to do with the import of a vehicle into Canada. The U.S. guys might have a problem with it if that vehicle ever tries to re-enter the U.S. though.
  16. HighScore

HighScore No More, all done.

Oddometer:
    I would advise NOT to buy a KTM in the United States and then try to import into Canada.
    After owning a KTM (which I loved by the way), I found that the bike is rather "fickle" and a warranty is essential. Making things compli-ma-cated by exporting into Canada might rustle a few feathers with KTM North America.:topes
  17. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I hear you brother, but, on KTM's defence, they were extremely helpful with the whole ordeal and we wouldn't have been able to import the 09 unless they guided us the way they did.
    On the warranty issue, I found my bike a pleasure to work on and an absolute engineering marvel that I wouldn't want anyone touching anyway, so we're safe that way....
  18. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    i find that very interesting! i thought it was them that purposely didn't register '08+ bikes with RIV, so people wouldn't be able to import them from the US :scratch
  19. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    the only reason that KTM didn't want to deal with Transport Canada is the obvious.....that's why they told them to shove it after 07. Too much stress not enough fun...definately not what KTM is about. :thumb
  20. kananaskis

kananaskis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soul lives in Rockies. Body is in Sarnia Ontario.
    Yeah, basically if the importer (you) fails to get the title for the bike/car etc. stamped out by US CBP it is not an issue for the Canada Customs BUT if the bike ever re-enters the USA and an officer runs the VIN (Sheriff, US CBP, police etc.) they can seize the vehicle and charge the person between 500 and 5000 bucks for failing to properly export a export-controlled commodity. :huh In other words... It may take an extra 5 minutes to walk into the US side and export the bike but it is worth it if they ever run it for any reason if you are back in the USA... Plus if you re-sell the bike and the new owner goes into the states and manages to get his bike seized for failure to export you can bet you will be dealing with him when he gets his bike back... I know if I had to pay a fine or lost my bike completely because some asshat didn't do what he was supposed to do (process is in place for a reason... checks for stolen property, liens etc...) when exporting from a foreign market I would be going after him in court if not in the street... :fight Hahaha