Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Had a chat with Pembina ND customs (where I would be crossing). They say I DO need the ITN/AES document - the broker will do that.

Can someone clarify - if we're talking a NEW bike here - do I need to wait for some state to issue a title, or is the dealer documentation (bill of sale etc) sufficient? Some states can take 60 days to issue a title - and I 'm not *registering* in that state.

This question applies both to the US and Canadian side, since they both want to see an ownership document with my name on it.

More phone calls Monday.
  2. bmwnewbie

bmwnewbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never imported a new bike. I can't see the procedure being ant different. Can you import a new bike?

If your buying a used bike from a dealer you can get a drive away permit which may be good for 30-60 days. If you already have a bike bring that plate, of course you'll have t o get the bike insured by your broker in Canada and drive it home. Don't you have a grace period to title the bike in Ontario, your going to have to go through the RIV inspection by Canadian Tire and then an out province inspection befor you can get your plate and registration.

bmwnewbie
  3. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Found this:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...2LzEvdGltZS8xNTAzOTM2Mzc1L3NpZC85T091Kmhybg==

Acceptable proof of ownership when exporting a vehicle without a title
    What documents are considered valid proof of ownership for Customs and Border Protection (CBP) purposes when exporting a vehicle / car from the U.S. which does not have a title?

If the vehicle or car you intend to export does not have a title, a manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) is considered valid proof of ownership.

If you do not have the title because your state does not issue titles for your type of vehicle, the state should provide you with documentation supporting that the state has no titling requirements for such vehicles. This holds the state responsible for your inability to present the title to CBP. Present the documentation along with the bill of sale or MSO.
  4. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's encouraging.
    I found a really good deal on an odball MX bike in PA, but all he has is a bill of sale.
    I didn't think there was any way I'd be able to import it.
  5. manybike

manybike Omnipresent

Oddometer:
    Join the CMA. Get a letter from them stating that it is a competition only motorcycle (which it probably is) and you might be able to get it across that way. You will never be able to register it as a road bike though. Also, you may need to deal with the 17 digit alpha numeric serial number issue. If it is competition only that rule does not apply. It is either a 17 digit serial number OR Competition only (not AND).
    This is from my own experience about from 8 years ago importing a No Title Trials bike..rules can change but it is worth checking out that route.
  6. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirt bikes are easier that road bikes in my experience. If you can find any info at all that says that they are for closed course use, then they are no harder to import than any other good. I imported a KTM 300XC a while ago, I had a local sign shop make up vinyl stickers that said "For Closed Course Competition Use Only" and stuck one on the frame, but the customs guy didn't even come out of his booth to look at the bike, he could see it in the back of my pick up. He did want to see the ad on the Internet that I bought it off of and made sure that the price I declared the sale at was reasonably close to the listed price though. They want their taxes, and that's about all they are worried about.
    jfman likes this.
  7. manybike

manybike Omnipresent

Oddometer:
    Yep...closed course or competition...pretty sure they are the same thing.
  8. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, might go the CMA route - was a member up until last year

It is definitely a competition bike, and no need to plate it.
  9. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    The issue I find is why would a US seller go through all that rigamorol about recall letters and having to explain to a US seller about importing etc, when they can sell it to a US buyer without all the hassle. I was looking into buying a BMW from a seller in Michigan and it got complicated trying to explain the process.

The seller lost patience and trying to explain the recall letter thing became tedious.

I did buy a bike from the states years ago and the seller was cool ,recall letter was provided without issue but I was buying a Suzuki. I didn’t have to give the whole background story of BMW NA recall letter shenanigans.
  10. manybike

manybike Omnipresent

Oddometer:
    You can get a recall letter from any US BMW dealer (or the owner can) The letter usually has a statement on it that it cannot be used for import or export but I know several people who have used these letters with no issues from Canada Customs (nice try BMW).
    Right now you could probably make money taking Canadian bikes to the U.S. and selling them. Many down south are priced the same or higher in USD.
  11. amigoride

amigoride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a current condensed procedure for importing a used motorcycle into Canada? I would be purchsing in Washinton State and bringing back to B.C.
    Thanks
    Brian
  12. Kotbullar

Kotbullar Sometime, you gotta slow down ....

Oddometer:
    Brian:
    Keep it simple:
    1) check RIV.ca to see if bike is
    admissible
    2) make sure owner has clear title (no liens) in hand. US customs won't allow export of bike with liens, or unknown status
    3) get recall clearance letter from manufacturer
    4) if 1-3 go smoothly, continue
    5) call US customs where you want to cross border, and see what their preferences are ... same for Canada. Sometimes their schedules affect availability for export/import
    6) go buy the bike
    7) bring to border. Hit US customs for export stamp
    8) Hit Canada customs for GST,PST, VIN fees
    9) take home, get Cdn Tire inspection
    10) send paperwork in for VIN sticker.
    11) wait for sticker, then drive
    glasshousebc likes this.
  13. bmwnewbie1

bmwnewbie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your good up until
    3) BMW does nit want to give you the recall letter, make a condition of sale that the seller goes to the BMW Service Department at the dealer and demands the recall letter. Some BMW dealers will tell him that BMW does not want the dealers supplying the recall letter. I simply tell the seller it's his bike and he wants to know if there are any recalls against his bike. They can print the report from Screen.

5) Rules have changed in the last few years, you need to use a Broker to get an ITN usually only $50.00 (I use one in Winnipeg, offices in North Dakota), you provide them with all of the pertinent Info they need, when completed by them will. You the Email (AES Process) not Fax the paperwork to a US Border where you will cross again to be there 72 hours before you show up. Go through US Customs (usually about a ten minute process) then to Canadian Customs. Make sure all of the EPA and DOT Compliance stickers are on the bike or car. or you won't be able to bring across the border.

If the bike is 15 years or older you do not have to go through the RIV Process.

9) after Cdn Tire Federal Inspection (make sure the muffler have the factory EPA) stating that they are 80 decibels compliant. Once this is done you will still have to get an Province Inspection which will cost fro $179.00 - $200.00.

Ir's a litte more of a pain in the ass, however well worth it if you get a good deal, also apply to cars and trucks. considering CDN US Exchange is basically 30%.
    Kotbullar and Steve G. like this.
  14. Kotbullar

Kotbullar Sometime, you gotta slow down ....

Oddometer:
    #5 is interesting, and a change from the 5 vehicles I have imported.
    Of course, none were BMWs .... :lol3
  15. bmwnewbie1

bmwnewbie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    #5 is interesting, and a change from the 5 vehicles I have imported.
    Of course, none were BMWs .... :lol3[/QUOTE]
  16. bmwnewbie1

bmwnewbie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

#5 Does not only apply to BMWs all motorized vehicles have to go through this process since I think 2014
  17. bmwnewbie1

bmwnewbie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the way it's done nowadays. When you use the broker your Passport Number become your ITN for export from US to Canada.

bmwnewbie
  18. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get a BMW recall letter for my own bike from the dealer I purchased from nor any dealers I called in the US. I knew the bike had no recalls and dealers confirmed and printed the "screen" for me but this did not suffice for RIV. You can't even get a temp permit without a Cdn VIN to ride to BMW dealer so I had to "transport" the bike 250kms for an "inspection". It was $500 CAD plus tax for the letter

When I bought my 2012 CAD was up to 1.05 USD. Nowadays the bike is worth much more on the US market when CAD down to 0.78 USD. Are you sure it's still a good deal? In 2011 I paid $11k CAD tax free fully loaded out the door direct from Berlin so $500 was not the end of the world. In 2014 I smartened up and had the dealer install a Cdn sticker and reflectors and saved the $500 hassle.
  19. bmwnewbie1

bmwnewbie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have never has a problem with RIV with a "printed" fro screen for any BMWs I have imported.

Also, for the past while for Harley's you can submit your VIN and it will show any recalls and I have printed those and gave to RIV and again no problem.
  20. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Btw; is it to my understanding that all Canadian Ducati’s and KTMs have the dot/epa sticker on the frames, and BMWs do not?