Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Jumping in here...

But would anyone know if its possible to import bike to Canada while me and bike are IN Canada?

Long story short, I've decided to emmigrate to Canada from States. Been on a tourist visa and bike has been kept north of the border while I've been going back and forth either on plane or riding back and forth across border. Once I officially apply for permanent residency, means I gotta stay put until application goes through..maybe a year. Riding back to states in late spring or trucking it will be an issue for my status. Why annoy the border folk anymore? So I'm trying to plan/coordinate 2 things at once. 1. Importing me and 2. Importing my bike while IN Canada.
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    You have to physicaly leave Canada with your US vehicule and drive it back to the border to import it. Also you have to send them your title ahead of time so they can check for liens and legal issues.

If I was you, I would have a firend ride it out and back in for you.

Check to see if you can get another person to import it for you.

Also check to see if you can legaly import a vehicule while you are pending permanent residency.

With the exchange rate, it might me smarter to sell your bike in the US and buy one in Canada.
  3. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Having some one else ride or finding someone to import it..err. I'm not so sure of that. Canadian border already red flagged me after me trucking bike in back of bo's
    truck when re entering. The douchebag at the border (pardon the expression) gave me a temporary import tag and a time limit to get bike back out of Canada...while I was recovering from a wreck (bad one). Wasn't exactly safe me getting back on bike at the time. An American bike with title and owner present in the back of a Canadian truck was enough to put me on Canadas most wanted list apparently. So if you can explain in a bit more detail your thinking I'm all ears. Initially I was going to get bike north to recover from injuries until every company I called were charging insane fees. Yup, crossing border has become major issue financial/paperwork issue these days. So now an proper import? Problems ahead it seems. I asked about bringing bike in back of Canadian truck before crossing. No problem a wise ADV rider told me. Just have original title in hand, insurance yadda yadda yadda. Yer, good luck with that. I talked guard into giving me an extra 2 months based on my obvious injuries to ride bike back into states. Anyway..that was then. This is now. Am I missing another riding season to get my ass in then deal with bike? How the hell does insurance work if I am here and my address is here and bike is insured in US. Have no idea how to sync my application and bike import together so as not to jeopardize either. It's winter. I'm not riding nor is anyone else. I work on my immigration, I would have to take US insurance off bike cause I'm not actually in US or would I leave US insurance on it? Man, oh man. What a shit show. My head is turning circles. All I know is border crossings put the fear of God in me after that one. Get one guy with a hangover and 1 T that isn't crossed, you are in trouble. I can't be the only one who has gone back and forth from US to Canada and wants to finally emigrate. Bikes and vehicles are stored on either side of border for people who travel or who have summer homes on either side. There is no way in hell I'm selling the bike. The bike has a very personal story behind it and I had to kill at least 7 people to get it and me back on the road again.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have imported two cars and 1 motorcycle to Canada.

You will have to mail your title to the border, then you have to enter Canada with the bike and go get your title back from Customs. There you pay the import tax and fees.

Then: You need a recall lettre from the mfg. Then you need a federal inspection (they check to see if you have day running light and all of your blinkers etc..) and finally, if your province requires it, you need a provincial mechanical inspection.

Then you will get that nice and shiny RIV sticker for you bike.

Welcome to Canada!
  5. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Okie dokie. Seems my situation isn't a straight up import. Have no idea how logistics are going to work. Me and bike already in Canada and about to apply for permanent residency. Have been advised not to leave country for a year or until paperwork goes through. So that's 1 issue. 2nd issue is at what point my US insurance will have to change. At the point of applying or at the point of approval. I.e. what is my legal address? Things to discuss with immigration lawyer but they don't have any idea about bike imports. Suppose I could have friend truck it. "Sell" it to him. Have him import it. Buy it back. What a PIA. I feel like vomiting. I am not moding another bike so it rides right. Hell, truck it across border back to US. Disassemble, bring back, assemble. Download the special sticker off the internet. Go riding. Yup. Sounds like a great plan.
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a motorcycle...

If your plan is to eventually become a Canadian citizen, importing that bike is probably the easiest part of this whole thing.
  7. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Ya know I'm only half joking here. Thanks for advise though.
  8. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Probably a lot easier than you think . It is just a matter of paperwork. Get your permanent residency first then deal with the bike . Don’t know where you live but most large cities have a Canada customs office . Start there before you go to the border with the bike . I imported 7 or 8 bikes now , it is just paperwork and waiting ( some expense as well ) but nothing too complicated . Just imported a 2006 BMW R 1150 GSA last week , still dealing with paperwork .

North Rider
    naruse, manybike, BackRoader and 2 others like this.
  9. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great looking final edition of the 1150 GSA. Good find !
  10. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    @BecaBoo I do not think you will need to take your bike out of Canada in order to import it . Unlike most of us you are not buying a bike in the US . You already own the bike . Once you become a permanent resident you can start the process of importation . No need to take the bike out of the country , check with Canada customs but I believe the process might be different for you than it is for someone who is buying a bike . Paperwork , lots and lots of paperwork .
    North Rider .
    BecaBoo and 250senuf like this.
  11. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I am hoping for.
  12. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is good advice. If there is a complication the Broker is money well spent. If you do it yourself you better be sure you know exactly what you are doing.
    BecaBoo likes this.
  13. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Can pretty much do anything given how deep ones pockets are. Mine are sewn up since racking up $100k in medical debt. My days of shipping bikes, hotels, fabulous stories of bike adventures are limited. I'm still recovering from a nasty head injury. I managed to retrieve bike from Oregan, trucked it north, spent last winter fixing it and unbending it, took it south to continue my year long travel that was so rudely interrupted by an RV in Wyoming hitting me and then had second rude awakening that my recovery is taking its sweet ass time. My continuation of "piss off on a bike" is gonna have to be delayed. The bike and me have seen some miles, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I'll figure it out. Making calls, figuring out paperwork, documents etc are no longer my strong points. I now have some significant cognitive issues so priorities...me then the bike.
  14. Upstate1951

Upstate1951 Heisenberg

Oddometer:
    BecaBoo likes this.
  15. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Can't find it with the search function.

Can anyone point me to a post with the procedure regarding importing a DIRTBIKE.
    Ontario Green Plate only.
    Not required to be street legal.
    Bike is a 2004.