Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    Hi Zen,
    We met a few months ago after the bike show.
    I'm planning to fly out to PA and ride back on the 8th / 9th.
    No help with the rental, but thought it was an interesting coincidence.

What are you picking up?

Cheers

2. StromTech

StromTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why no fly in and ride home...makes for a great bonding trip:D
  3. zenrydr

zenrydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I'm told by everyone & my insurance company that there is a procedure one has to follow before I can put it on the road & plate her! And if anything were to happen one is f--cked driving an uninsured motorcycle. Refer to page 1 of this thread for the whole procedure...Lol.
  4. StromTech

StromTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for Ontario but in BC I bought 10 days of temporary insurance for next to nothing. And each state has a trip permit you can buy from their DMV that makes you legal on the road. Not a big deal to get insured and plated that way.
    Washington state trip permits are good for 2 days ($25each) but you can purchase and use multiples. California trip permits are good for 60 days...so there is a wide discrepancy between states...you need to check with the DMV of the state you are buying in.
    It was no hassle getting these things to ride home and much more fun than trucking it back.
    BTW, if you are trucking the bike you better check that you have insurance coverage if you have an accident, if it is stolen, or if it falls off the truck...your solution has complications too.
  5. H e a d N o r t h

Oddometer:
    Zen,
    I was concerned, too.
    So I called my insurance carrier, and they suprised me:
    I am covered without even advising them - as long as I register it and get them formal notice within two weeks. Easy - peasy.
    Mind you, I have all my coverage (auto / home / etc.) with them, so this is a bit of a perk, I think.

6. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    I say Fly and Ride as well. It was quite the trip. I had Drif10 and Steverino meet me at the buyers home(Virginia). Had dinner and hung out with some good folks. Next day I rode with Driffy til around noon and rode to Pittsburg to meet Diablo. Best 500miles I had done on a bike in a long time. Dinner and drinks and a warm dry Hotel room, Crossed the border and rode home with Diablo.

It's part of the fun and getting to know your new ride. Do a little research with your insurer. They will issue a temporary policy based on the VIN you know have. If an Ohio temp is valid in PA and NewYork(likely have reciprosity(sp) I would go for it.

Do you have your to fax to the Port in Buffalo, and Recall letter for the RIV? If you do get that paperwork done and cleared as much as you can before even leaving. Once you are cleared by the Port you have to wait at least 72 hours before crossing.

Oh, and fly from Buffalo and it'll likely be cheaper than driving.

Shout out if you need info
    drcool
  7. zenrydr

zenrydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really? I have called them twice - Riders Choice & they have said twice that they will not insure it till it has been certified over here in Canada. Dr. Cool can we talk tomorrow -Tues around 10:30 am -4:00pm? So I can ask you a few questions? I'll messege my # to you.
    Thank-you everyone, for helping my out with all of this! :thumb
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I brought 2 bikes back on different occasions. Got what is called Binders Insurance. All I needed to tell insurance company was Vin #, make, model, year of motorcycle. Cost 28 bucks for 10 days.

Ken
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  9. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    That's interesting, I use them now but didn't last year. Kingsway was my insurer last year but they got absorbed and rates weren't so attractive. Check with your home agent and see if they will get you a binder until you can get the bike certified and titled. We will talk tomorrow.

there has to be a way.
    drcool
  10. StromTech

StromTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct...same thing I got to bring mine into BC.

When I lived in Ontario my insurance company told me I was automatically covered on a new vehicle to get it home and registered....covered off buying on weekends and holidays. I am surprised there is a refusal to cover your purchase, especially if you already have a policy with them on another vehicle you own. You might want to talk to another company.
  11. zenrydr

zenrydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This morning I am faxing my title to the U.S. custom office, I just talked to them yesterday. (I also have the Kawasaki recall clearance page that I downloaded from Kawasaki.com) I will also call today Riders Plus & ask for a temporary 'Binders Insurance'.
    I have not contacted R.I.V. yet....I'm under the impression that process starts/happens when I cross the border with the bike with all my documents. (Then go to Canadian Tire to certify)
    I would love to 'fly & ride' if I get this approved, I'd fly from Toronto to Cleveland. (the bike is in great working order)
    Actually can my insurance company not approve a binders/temporary permit? I do not drive any other vehicles at this time, just a motorcycle since I live right in downtown Toronto.
    I'll also find out where the closest D.M.V. is to where my bike is, so I can get a temporary policy there, so I hope I can drive my bike back!
    Thanks for all your input guys!!!:bow
  12. StromTech

StromTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the RIV you will need a recall clearance that has the VIN# of your bike on it. It can be a printout from a dealer's service database or a letter from Kawasaki...but it must have the VIN. The info you printed fromt he general recalls does not have your VIN# and will not be accepted by RIV. You do not need the recall clearance at the border, it's just for the RIV.

Your insurance company (or try another one) should issue a binder policy to cover you until you get the bike home. Normally they need the VIN# to do this. At a minimum you need liability insurance in case you hit something. Collision and Comprehensive are a good idea to protect your bike as well.

The DMV will issue a 'trip permit' which is in lieu of a licence plate. If the guy you are buying from leaves a valid current (non-expired) licence plate on the bike you won't need the trip permit.

You can start the RIV process at any time by registering on their web page and paying the fee. You don't need the RIV started until after you get home with the bike but if you get it started you can speed things along.

Finally, try stopping at the seller's Kawasaki dealer and asking the service guys to check the bike for recalls...it only takes them a minute...then ask them to print off the screen page showing no recalls on the bike. If they won;t do it for you then you will need to fax the Bill of sale and Title to Kawasaki USA and request a recall clearance letter from them. THat will hold you up geting the bike registered waiting for them to send it.

Good Luck
  13. zenrydr

zenrydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am told by my insurance company & the government when I tried today - "No, not here in Ontario." for insurance/ temporary trip binding permit/policy. They will not do it till I have the forms 1 & 2 from the border & the R.I.V., as well as the Canadian Tire certification!!! So I will get over there & get the Ohio temporary policy & ride the bike to the Buffalo border. I'll get processed then have a friend with a truck drive me & the bike from there to Toronto.
    I'll try to do this early next week. I can't wait to have my new bike.:getiton
  14. Rotten Ronnie

Rotten Ronnie Crash

Oddometer:
    Kelly's Cross, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    If it's just a two hour drive to the border, and your truck falls through, I'd have no problems driving a rental van down to collect you and the bike after I got home from work. Let me know if you need it.
  15. zenrydr

zenrydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow Ron, that would be amazing! I would pay you for the gas & your time for sure. :getiton I'll be crossing the border around 3-4 pm & I don't mind waiting for you there. I'll bring a good book & chill, I don't mind waiting even if its hours.
    Thank-you so much! :thumb
  16. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    The ADV rider comradery never ceases to amaze me, good on ya guys :thumb

FYI: Once you cross the border your current insurance policy covers you automatically, Ferd is right, just ride the damn thing home.

Safe travels my friend
  17. H e a d N o r t h

Oddometer:
    I've forwarded my signed title by fax and email, but I can't reach anyone to confirm they've received it.

Do they even confirm receipt?

Are they just slow?

Should I be worried?

18. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I never got a confirmation either and ended up showing at the border EXACTLY 72 hours after the fax. Make sure you have the copy of the sent confirmation on your side, its all good.
    Another thing that will help is to make sure you include a cover page with your title that repeats the serial number as most times they can't see it very clearly through the fax.
    Good luck man
  19. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received confirmation after 72 hrs. that they had received the application and cleared the bike i.e. by email. I'm sure its nothing to worry about unless you don't hear anything after the 3 days.

It'll be fine, I found the Americans very easy to deal with, as were our Customs and RIV staff. Canadian Tire on the other hand...:baldy
  20. StromTech

StromTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I phone the US customs office where the PO faxed it and confirmed they received the fax. I also got the name and badge number of the agent that confirmed it. Better to be sure than show up and find out you have to wait another 72 hours...it's just a phone call to be sure.