1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

importing a bike from the USA with the border closed?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by crunchiespg, Sep 11, 2020.

1. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone imported a bike this year? I've got my name down for a Honda Trail 125 at a Montana dealer, with them expecting it in November. But it seems unlikely the covid hysteria will allow the border to be open by then.
    So, how can it be done? Could i get someone to bring it to the border and i meet them at the Canadian side to sort out the RIV paperwork?
    Or do I have to use a vehicle shipper, if so does anyone have any suggestions for a good one?
    Cheers
  2. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a data point my brother paid a commercial carrier $300 to bring his boat back from Point Roberts, WA. It was on a trailer at his cabin there. He met them at the border with his truck and after the carrier cleared customs he switched the trailer to his truck and took it home. (He had to provide a fair bit of paperwork around ownership -- but that would come from the dealer with the new bike, I presume.)
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Were they local to point Roberts or did they come in from somewhere else in the states? If local and it was still $300 to get someone half way across Montana to the border would be quite a bit higher I'm sure.
  4. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    They were local to greater Vancouver / northern Washington. I'm sure you're right that the cost is highly variable based on distance.