1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Importing a trail bike into the US from Canada

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Vaderson, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Vaderson

Vaderson n00b

Oddometer:
    I am looking at purchasing a trail bike in Canada. It is not plated or road legal there, and likely won’t be in the US (I am looking for a trail bike strictly). I am assuming this import does not fall under the normal plated, DOT controlled process for a road legal vehicle when importing to the US, so am wondering what specifically would I need.

Has anyone simply imported a dirt/MX/trail bike into the US from Canada? Simply provide Bill of Sale at border to calculate duty, etc?

Looking to do so over the next couple weeks so any insight with specifics would be greatly appreciated!
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I would contact a border broker at wherever you plan to cross and ask them, then contact your state and ask what you'll need to do to register/title it when you get there. You may need to consider trip permit(s) to get it across the U.S.
    I've done it in a border state, but rules and enforcement change over time and can vary from place to place.
  3. Vaderson

Vaderson n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks...
    I have contacted a 3rd party importer, but they are specifically geared towards importing road licensing vehicles. I am looking at non-road, back yard, trail, "lawn mower" category...it is not road legal (XR400).
  4. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I've crossed the border w/ a race bike (NON street legal) in a trailer. They didn't seem too concerned about it.

If you have a van, maybe just don't say anything about it. But don't lie. LE types really hate that.