Importing bikes into Mexico from the US

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by gageezer, Feb 12, 2006.

1. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of moving to Mexico and I want to bring my collection of bikes down here. Has anyone on this site tried importing bikes or cars into mexico? I've got 2 Nortons, 2 750 triple Triumphs, an 82 Yamaha, a 75 Sportster, 62 Sears Puch - you know, the usual 30 year accumulation. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to import them, pay duty, and licence them all?

Art
  2. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
  3. gageezer

Oddometer:
    Any Idea what is will cost to import, say, my 74 850 Norton Commando? I can't find anyone who will give me any kind of estimate. I don't want to get to the border and find that it will cost $3000 to import a $2000 motorcycle.
  4. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    You might could get away shipping them in the back of the truck... don't say nothing, treat them as museum pieces instead of vehicles. They usually don't mess too much with vans, trucks they tend to search through.

Might could break them down into parts, alot of work. Find a coyote, they will get them in for you.:lol3

$1000 per for permanant import, temporary license will mean having to bring them, all of them, back to the border every 6 months for renewal.

Where you moving? I have a place near Leon...Can keep a few of them for ya.:D
  5. gageezer

Oddometer:
    We've bought a house in San Miguel de Allende, not far from Leon. I'm leaving today to go back to the states and get my house there ready to sell. Sure hate to leave this weather for snow, but Daytona is only 3 weeks away. :clap

Art
  6. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    SMdA is going all to hell, too many Americans making stuff too expensive.:lol3 I've got some friends who live there. Heading that way too in a week or so, I'll PM ya tequilia in hand.:evil
  7. gageezer

Oddometer:
    I really miss the great weather in Mexico. Maybe it will be a good year in Daytona.
    Does anyone know about bringing in partial bikes to Mexico? I was thinking about taking the wheels, seat tank, etc. off a couple of bikes and just bring in the carcass, then on the next trip, bring the rest. :wink:
    Does anyone think this would work?

Art
  8. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I have seen many vans going into Mexico all the time without anyone looking into them....

The problem is coming back....not going down....

Maybe keep a couple registered in the US, so you can ride them back when you want to visit??
  9. gageezer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I can bring in 2 on my FM3, one for me and one for my wife. Those would be legal.

Art
  10. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Cozumel I shipped down at least 12 motorcycles. There is a shipping company out of Ft. Lauderdale called Hyde Shipping . They go to Puerto Morelos every week. A $50 mordida usually took care of the aduana guy and I got my motorcycles. Or you can hire a shipping agent to clear them in for you . Their fee usually runs about $100 US.
  11. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    I paid about $5,000.00(US) just last year to nationalize my HD.
    The price was cheaper because it was a US made bike vs a Japan or European.
    They go by new price and the age of the vehicle. After you get it legalized, you have to pay the tenencia. (Plates) This is due every year and goes by value of the bike and engine displacement. For the HD, it runs about $1,500.00 a year and keeps going down for 10 years. After 10 years, they figure that they have bled you just about dry and you do not have to pay the tenencia anymore.
    FWIW: Don't go thinking that a little bribe will take care of everything. It's not that easy. I have been waiting for almost a year for my plates. And everything was done correctly.
    Talk to a tax agent (Agencia Aduanal) and they can set you up.

Good luck.

Ride Safe,
    Vettster
  12. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:

ok slide.....a window into your dreadfull life...what are you running from?:lol3
  13. gageezer

Oddometer:
    The newest bike I'll be bringing in is a '83 Yamaha. I think I'll just try a few of the ones I'm less attached to in the back of the truck with the wheels and tanks removed and hope the red light doesn't come on.:wink:

gageezer
  14. bajarider

bajarider Mexican with internet

Oddometer:
    Mexicali, Baja Cfa., Mexico, Calexico,CA. US
    HEY GAEEZER IF YOU DO THE RIGTH WAY THOSE BIKES IN MEXICO YOU´LL ONLY PAY $350.00 USD FOR EACH ONE. THEY WILL BE LEGALLY IMPORTED AND THE ONLY THING YOU´LL NEED WILL BE PAY FOR THE PLATES.
  15. gageezer

Oddometer:
    Everyone has had a different experience. Smuggle them in, pay a bribe, pay $5000 to legalize them, pay $350 to legalize them. This kind of stuff drives my wife crazy but, for me, I love it. It ain't the US and that's fine with me.:clap

gageezer

It wasn't broke 'till I fixed it.
  16. eastbay

eastbay Half Fast

Oddometer:
    I'd like to ride an older thumper down to the Yucatan and get Mexico plates for it and leave it there. I was doing some searches and saw this thread- can you let me know what you learned??

thanks
  17. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You read the thread correct? Now you can choose which one to believe. One of them maybe right.