Importing US to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bluenoser, Nov 6, 2006.

1. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Any fellow Canadians have any idea what the customs and duty fees would be to import a KTM 950 purshased in the US? New or used.

Thanks - Bailey
  2. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    GST and PST based on purchase price. You will need to do some export paper work on the US side which can take upto a week to process, so don't ride up to the border expecting just to drive across that day.
  3. moosehead

moosehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    south of the checkerboard....Bruce Penninsula
  4. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The paper work is $250 to process. Your warranty may be no good in Canada.
    Check with KTM.
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Don't they have to change the speedo/odo as well?

Just wondering.
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    It's just pushing a couple of buttons to change that on the katoom IMO. Easy.

Heard that there's some good deals on bikes from dealers in Quebec due to the recent changes in the gubmint insurance scam/scheme. Might be worth checking out.
  7. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    In my local area there's a KTM dealership. Problem is, they don't/can't offer major service, so owners have to go 100 miles to get service,which here in Ontario seems to be quite expensive(service,that is). Apparently, we have dealerships here which can sell bikes but aren't allowed to do major service/warranty work. I hope you have better luck in NS with your future purchase for service etc.

Woodgrain
  8. ulendo

ulendo lunatic fringe

Oddometer:
    also worth checking the admissible vehicles list here http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

not ALL KTMS are admissible. I'd found a 620 that I was very interested in - not on the list, so it cant be made street legal...worth checking out before you buy,
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good point. No sense going for the bike if it's not allowed.
    I brought a bike up 3 months ago. Very straightforward, IF, you do the paperwork.
    Cost? 6% GST on purchase price to Customs Canada, payable at border, $215cdn to R.I.V., payable at border also. This last fee includes the visit to Canadian Tire [nationally recognized vehicle inspector].
    You must give U.S. Customs at least 72 hrs notice, with a faxed form from them including vehicle registration. They won't let you across otherwise. And Canada Customs won't allow the machine into Canada if you don't have the stamp on the paper that U.S. Customs will give you if you give them the time they need.
    Ciao, Steve
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    OK, Driffy, guess I'm just not familiar with Katooms. I've only ever seen one, when Jeff (Dirtydeeds) came through.
  11. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why is "vintage" more difficult? sounded easier to me, no recall letter, no fees, no taxes etc. from everything i have found and been told over 15 years is no problem. I'm going through this right now moving my large number of bikes from the US to BC. about half are older than 15 yrs, the newer ones have more hoops to jump through.
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree. I was asking the same thing. Bikes 15 yrs old and older have a clear entry legal wise. One still would face the 6% GST, but that's it. As a matter of fact, 15 yrs old is the age in which a vehicle can come in from ANY country. It's only a special arrangement with the U.S. and Canadian govts that allows 'most' vehicles 14yrs to brand new to cross border transfer of ownership, part of the last stage of the free trade agreement that went into effect in 2004.
    A guy I know just brought in a Hesketh Vampire from England. And Norton Rotaries are now allowed in.
    Ciao, Steve
  13. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ooooh, norton rotary, now you got me thinkin. very cool bikes.

being able to drive a car across a border, i would hope you could bring what ever in from the US, my girl is from quebec and moved her canada spec honda here to the US years ago. she just crossed the border back to canada with it yesterday, obviously no problem. but they told her no problem for the bikes she is bringing from the US, that she bought in the US. some older some newer, newer is fees and recall letters, thats about it. me will be a slight more problem since I'm US citizen moving to canada.