Importing Vintage Motorcycle to California from Canada

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by inigoj, Oct 3, 2017.

  1. inigoj

    inigoj Adventurer

    Dec 22, 2014
    Hey all,

    I may be moving to California with several vintage motorcycles built after 78 (1984 Laverda RGS1000, 1982 Ducati 900S2, along with some pre 78 BMWs)

    I am wondering if anyone knew where to point me to get more information on registering the 80s bikes there. Due to their rarity selling and buying ones there aren't really options.

    I had heard the AAA may able to assist. Anyone had any experience with that?

  2. groop

    groop So much to ponder

    Jun 5, 2007
    oc, ca
    Looking forward to having more vintage bikes here Inigo!

    Along with the DOT regs, CA is particularly cruel about emission standards. There is a lot of confusing information available. I would recommend that you catalog your bike inventory and check out this website of FAQS

    I have never used the AAA for this purpose, but one of CA's requirements is for VIN verification prior to registration. I HAVE used AAA for that purpose and they did a fine job
  3. dbrum

    dbrum canuckInCali

    Jun 11, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I moved here and just keep my bikes with Ontario plates - and will never move them to CA plates. Never had an issue, cops never ask me anything and if they do it’s to chat about bikes. This way I also never pay tolls or parking tickets. The emissions stuff will kill you, it’s an insane process. As long as you have access to keep renewing your plates back in Canada, you’re golden.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk