Improved 640ADV c/s sprocket cover

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by WageSlave, Sep 4, 2006.

1. WageSlave

WageSlave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a Touratech countershaft cover sitting in my toolbox for months now. After purchasing it I didn't like the fact that the design did not protect the electrical wiring and brake lines in the manner that the OEM plastic cover does. Therefore I didn't bother to install the T'tech part. I was thinking about listing it on eBAY until the other day.

While riding last week my bike began leaking oil. After the ride I traced the source to the sprocket seal (I replaced the o-ring). In discovering the leak I noted that the sprocket anchoring bolt was loose, most likely the cause of the chewed up o-ring. As other 640ADV owners know, the OEM plastic cover doesn't allow for a quick visual inspection of the c/s sprocket, anchoring bolt, etc... the T'tech cover would though. I wanted to be able to make a quick visual inspection whenever I felt like it. Necessity being the mother of invention I decided to make a better mousetrap. Here are some notes and photos of that process.

As a reference... here's a photo of the T'tech c/s sprocket cover installed. I've circled the area that wasn't protected in the same way as the OEM plastic cover. Also note that this installation replaces the hex bolts, provided by T'tech, with metric OEM-like bolts of the same length. I found that the hex end of the T'tech bolts stripped too easily.
    [​IMG]

Step #1 - I trimmed the OEM plastic c/s sprocket cover to the desired shape (before and after photos follow).
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

Step #2 - The T'tech cover came with two aluminum spacers. I cut one of them in half, then filed each half down to the necessary height to accomodate this modification.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step #3 - Assemble the pieces and check for proper fit.
    [​IMG]

Step #4 - Install on the bike and admire the new and improved c/s sprocket cover!
    [​IMG]
  2. herobikes

herobikes HE AINT HEAVY HES MY LC4

Oddometer:
    your images are a no go.
  3. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    ditto.
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    The KTM 660 Rallye CS cover is a FREE upgrade!

[​IMG]

Why would I want the TT one? :ear
  5. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    that is nice work. ive often thought about buying that cover but just havent been able to justify the "bling". so instead, i just drilled, filed, and cut out a big circle in the center of the old plastic peice and now i can see the CS.

laramie :beer
  6. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done Waggie. Good idea, write-up and photos... fine workmanship as well.
    The TT guard is a bit of a bling to me... but you've taken the two pieces and made something that would be considered by many to be better than either of the individual parts... certainly looks slick. :thumb
  7. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks smooth to me. I like it.
  8. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    wild tim lost a chain on his 2003 640 during the alcan. it ripped his clutch slave off and poked a hole in the side of the engine case. do you think the touratech guard would prevent damage in a broken chain situation?
  9. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wageslave - great idea and very well done. May copy it if you haven't applied for the patent.

Dean
  10. WageSlave

Oddometer:
    This great library of Alexandria is for the benefit and betterment of all mankind. For those who seek knowlege and truth, partake then share with others.

I'm just trying to give back a bit in return for all that I've gleaned from this site.

My other goal is to make my ride as bomb-proof as reasonable. Them cockroaches will need a sweet ride after Armaggedon.

Here's my next bit of bling, prior to installation...
    [​IMG]
  11. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks for taking the time to write it up. :thumb
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

Howzat?:ear
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Send sevaral thowsand dollores to mine Nigarian bank account. :deal

(use whatever cutting implement suits your fancy and trim the stock guard to match. if you look closely to the 660s you will notice that it has the same "dimples", most of them, where it was trimmed back from the stocker that you and i get with our rides.)

I like Loaded's query, and second the motion. I wondered if cutting the stock guard like the Rallye bikes would increase the chance of throwing the chain in just such a way... certainly the more you cut the more chance it has of getting around what is left of the cover. I just didn't think the correct forces were there to get it to angle off the drivetrain axis, but maybe if the chain caught a bit of the frame or such when broken it might be all it needs to change course. :ear
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Heya WS,

That must be the old style lower chain guide (parts list compiled by rjf and indexed). Seems like a good upgrade. Two posts that I recall on either side of the fence on that one:

I believe clintnz posted once that he thought the plastic lower guide was responsible for allowing the chain to jump its track, but another (who escapes me at this moment - probably in the indexed thread) thought that the plastic guard might survive some hits better than the aluminum one, which the poster hypothesized would bend and become a liability. Just some thoughts for ya.
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    This is howzat.

[​IMG]
  16. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    stick to yer day job meat doode.

if the chain lets go it flies in a linear motion. the same way the cocksucker flies while you ride. when it breaks it'll whip like that bad bitch girlfriend your big brother had in highschool. what's there to stop it? yup... yer engine... (maybe yer leg, but hope not)... actually yer clutch slave cylinder, then yer engine. the stock guard does not stop it. period. i was asking if the touratech one had a beefier support rail.
  17. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    WageSlave exelent mantra to live by...

thanks for sharing you brain and passion....
    actually your simbiotic aproach to the problem is as impresive as the manufacturing of the pieces.

exelent Job, now figure out how to integrate a piece of fenolic resin or delrin to the guard so the chain can not slap on the engine if ever breaks
  18. WageSlave

Oddometer:
    Hola,
    I appreciate the feedback on my c/s sprocket cover idea and the chain guide. My hope is that this aluminum chain guide provides as much protection to the chain and sprocket as the aluminum Pro Moto Billet Shark Fin has for my rear brake disc. The shark fin has taken some good hits, as evidenced by the nicks and scrapes on the surface. It hasn't bent or deformed in the slightest, better it than the brake disc.

My thought is that if I mess up enough to cause a hit to the chain guide that would deform the aluminum piece... the plastic OEM piece would either tear off in such a hit or provide little protection to the sprocket and chain. Most of the KTM models have an aluminum chain guide, mine shall too.

That plastic OEM chain guide just seems inadequate for the riding I've been doing. It's not that I'm a great dirt rider, rather I'm a novice dirt rider who is commited to improving through trial and error (RIDE-CRASH-REPEAT). I ride ATGATT, my bike and gear can attest to that! Heck I've got Dustjunkie as a regular riding partner and Inte is not that far away... I can either hold my own or leave the bike in the garage. I prefer the former option.

Keep up the good work guys! You're all helping others become better riders and mechanics.

-Steve
    <ul><li>T'tech aluminum c/s cover - $52.10</li>
    <li>OEM plastic c/s cover - $12.64</li>
    <li>Getting feedback on this thread from Creeper, Loaded, Meat, and Ricardo - Priceless</li></ul>
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Good information Loadey; exactly what I was hoping for. I was curious to know if the stock CS cover was a splash guard and/or a protection part. It's nice to have someone like you around that knows. Now someone needs to ask TT if their cover is some measure of protection or merely bling bling, because it ain't a splash guard.

I notice below your post that Ricardo is already thinking about a solution. Very cool of him to contribute, but wageslave's hybrid part is a very nice upgrade so I am not surprised that he is impressed.

wageslave, I follow you on your reasoning, but don't be so sure the plastic part is not adequate:

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like the stock 640 plastic guide, but it sure looks like a plastic one to me. All the 660 guides I saw in my quick picture search were the same.
  20. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Meat, I think that the plastic cover is meant only as a "splash guard".

But the metal part it pushes into (part# 39) at the top is there to help protect the engine from the chain, if it breaks. Parts 39 or the 17tooth cs sproket part, which is 42 in the diagram but 40 in the part # description table.

[​IMG]

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=300 bgColor=orange border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=10 bgColor=white>39 </TD><TD align=left width=50 bgColor=white>58430047200 </TD><TD align=left width=120 bgColor=white>CHA.DAMPERSHEET 15/16T 92MM 03 </B></TD><TD align=right width=20 bgColor=white>$12.69 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=10 bgColor=white>40 </TD><TD align=left width=50 bgColor=white>58730047100 </TD><TD align=left width=120 bgColor=white>CHAIN DAMPERSHEET 17T 92MM 03 </B></TD><TD align=right width=20 bgColor=white>$12.64 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=10 bgColor=white>42 </TD><TD align=left width=50 bgColor=white>58430060000 </TD><TD align=left width=120 bgColor=white>SPROCKET COVER BLACK '96 </B></TD><TD align=right width=20 bgColor=white>$9.88 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Whether it was designed to, and can be relied upon to protect the engine and clutch slave cyl. from a busted chain is unknow to me, from the stories here I'd say it cannot, eh.