Improving ATE brake feel on '74 bikes

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by inigoj, Oct 21, 2017.

1. black knight

black knight Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    my 1974 Type IV fork exchange updated to 12.5'' HD rotors , carriers, dishes, brake lines, flex brake lines, new caliper carriers custom made, 4 pot brembos, under tank master......... two finger operation

cost about the half of what the fuk'n bike is worth

next time install a GSXR fork conversion ......
    would be MUCH cheaper.
    https://cognitomoto.com

thumb_IMG_0177.JPG_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0479.JPG_1024.jpg

type IV not II

thumb_IMG_0795.JPG_1024.jpg

IMG_0556_1024.jpg
    mattcfish, tac650 and Bigger Al like this.
  2. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harry - Nice work. What HD were the rotors from? Did you have to machine the window to fit the BMW hat (carrier)? I found Triumph 900TT rotors c2001 fit up to the BMW rotor hat pretty good, just have to drill the mounting holes.
  3. black knight

black knight Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thx

rotors from j&p cycles and we bought the ones with the most meat at the center so when we machined the centers to fit the carriers. we also needed the largest dia. rotors we could find to keep the calipers as far away from centerline

ALL BECAUSE I wanted to keep my spoke wheels. we needed the spoke clearance and when you look we just clear the spokes. i have 3/16'' clearance to remove the wheel after removing a caliper to fix a flat if needed .

everything and i mean Everything was touched by a lathe / mill...... was machined to fit ....... very $$ / time at a mill
  4. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    I am sending myR90/6 master cylinder to Apple Hydraulics.
    aptbldr likes this.
  5. garandman

Oddometer:
    Testing braking with modified master cylinder today.
  6. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Garandman, how did it turn out?

Getting ready to try the same kinds of things with a 1975 Slash 6... as it stands, my little girl’s bicycle with a rear coaster brake can probably stop harder than the airhead. Cost of going to dual discs looks prohibitive.
  7. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think getting the pads set up correctly and good pads makes a big difference for a start.
  8. garandman

Oddometer:
    A lot better. Still at shop, getting an electronic ignition installed.
  9. mattcfish

mattcfish R90X Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fabulous, what mill are you using?
  10. Jodon

Jodon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garandman, so you got it sleeved down to 13mm?
    What if any was the modification re mc piston/seals?
    And does anyone know of a source for the little rod between the mc actuating arm and piston?
    NLA everywhere I've looked.
  11. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree, my 13mm MC brakes have been fully tested, both on track days and by carrying out multiple crash stops from around 70MPH on deserted roads and as result of those tests I consider that there is nothing inherently faulty with the ATE brakes, but there was an issue with the ratio between slave and master cylinders. Exactly the same fault can be found on early Norton disc brakes and the cure is the same, fit a 13mm M/C......
    BoxerD and Jim K in PA like this.
  12. garandman

Oddometer:
    MC was sleeved from stock to 1/2” = 12.7mm.

There’s a new piston and seals in addition to the sleeve. Also new pads and caliper adjusted.

How much lever travel do you have?

Going to adjust the linkage and handle at adjuster as my engagement is late and it comes too close to the bar. Snowed yesterday and 30’s today so no riding/tweaking yet.
  13. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the right amount of lever travel, much more than on the big OEM MC, but not so much that the lever is in danger of hitting the bar, even after crash stop testing. The wooden feel of the OEM brakes makes it more likely that you might lock the front wheel.
  14. garandman

Oddometer:
    Still need a little adjustment (and possibly more bleeding), but took a 35 mile ride yesterday and very happy with the result! The lever effort is "Normal" (ie like my other bikes). The lever travels more than stock but is not near the bars during a hard stop. A few miles into the ride I stopped worrying about having to gorilla grip the brake lever anymore.
  15. djd1230

djd1230 n00b

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm a new guy so what the heck.....
    Thinking of reducing the bore diameter on an R75/6 with the single ATE caliper as described above.

Can you please tell us what seals were used in the master cylinder modification? It's relatively straight forward to have the under tank master cyl sleeved to 1/2" diameter and to turn down the piston to suit, but what to use as seals? My current cylinder bore is 0.565" diameter. (Probably a slightly oversized 9/16". This is about 14.3 mm.) Will the standard, under tank "14 mm" cup seals work with a 1/2" diameter bore?
  16. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum djd.

You know, in the old days - 50s, 60s and maybe even into the 70s you could get brake seals. I don't know where you'd get them these days. I have heard of using the seals from a Honda for something or other - don't remember what. The BMW seals and rebuild kits are a bit over-the-top expensive, especially when only a seal or two are needed.

I think most of us have either sourced the smaller master, or just purchased an ATE rebuild kit. I think you're in virgin territory. Not sure you'll get any answers to your question so stay in touch and let us know what you find out and how it all works out. I'd like to know where to buy just the seals...
  17. OldCrustyStuff

OldCrustyStuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apple hydraulics has just the seals as they require your piston and hardware to rebuild after they re-sleeve. No clue if they will sell you just the seals or not but I’d start there.
  18. djd1230

djd1230 n00b

Oddometer:
    Apple quoted $375 plus shipping to re-sleeve to 1/2", rework the piston and new seals. Add in a new hose, pads and a caliper rebuild and that's a $600 brake job for a single piston caliper. Hard to justify.
    Others can sleeve for less, but then I need seals.
  19. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a 12 or 13mm handlebar master cylinder on it. You'll never look back-except to make sure you're not about to be rear-ended.
    thebisch, BoxerD, Brun and 1 other person like this.
  20. djd1230

djd1230 n00b

Oddometer:
    Certainly an option and probably less costly, but I'd like to keep the under tank master if possible.