Improving Mono front brakes

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by JimGregory, Sep 11, 2019.

1. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if sintered or some other pads would improve the front brakes on my 92 RS. Or would they eat my rotors.
    I have 5 year old BMW pads on there.
    I also wonder if steel braided hose(s) would improve anything. I have a lot of handle movement compared to my other bikes. Any thoughts?
    I have to change out the fluid so I may as well do what I can to improve things. My brakes seems to bite good then fade a bit at high speed. Plus my rotors seem to heat up and warp. Then cool down smooth again. Seem to I say, as that may not be whats actually happening.
  2. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot I guess depends on what you want to spend. I like brakes and I feel the save me so I don’t mind spending a little on them. So if your discs are worn and your pads are not flash then EBC floating rotors and pads, upgrade your lines to braided and overhaul your master and calipers. Otherwise a nice set of EBC pad and check your discs, calipers and master for any signs of binding on the pistons and brake surface
  3. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont think anything is faulty in/down there. They work the same as they ever did which is pretty good. But they ARE non floating disks and single puck calipers. No excessive heat after a good run. Both rotors about the same degree of warm.
    Have you done any of the upgrades you recommend? I would love to hear results and see pics.
  4. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have installed twin pot calipers from an oilhead on a 92RT once. It required a small amount of milling to get the calipers centered correctly, but the mounting holes lined up without adapters.

[​IMG]

Quite an improvement in grip, but with the stock front end it would drop like a pole-axed mule when you grabbed a handful. The 90/90 front tire became the limit of braking. Installed with stainless lines, EBC HH pads, and the stock non-floating rotors. I think R100R twin puck calipers will fit as well.
  5. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking just better pads and stainless lines. What do you think about that. Would like them better but I like easy as well.
  6. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 4-piston calipers fit, but need to have some material removed from their mounts, and you have to increase the master cylinder size to move all those pistons. It's worthwhile. Installing braided hoses improves feel and reduces lever travel.
  7. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have older bmws. On my 90 I did handle bar master, braided lines, brembo discs, rebuilt calipers and EBC FA 22 pads. Very happy with the results. Pulls up fantastic.
  8. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy to report that a simple fluid flush was all it needed. Stops great again! Not sure from a high speed emergency stop, but on secondary roads all is well.