In case if someone was wondering how E-07 rear with 14k (and 19 and 23 k) miles might look like

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cyclopathic, Jul 3, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the picture[​IMG]
    ohgood, eakins, Graybush and 5 others like this.
  2. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    hmmm.... looks Heidenau'ish :D Did much off road?
  3. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    That's impressive. Judging by the pristine condition of the outer blocks I'd say this tire hasn't seen much off road use. I could be wrong....
    ohgood, JCool and sieg like this.
  4. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    In reviewing the picture, I noted the chain appears to be in serious need of lubricant, so I'm going to a a very judgemental call and suggest that the bike is probably not a BMW R 1200 GS. Klr 650?
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really maybe 1k of unpaved roads? It was a trip to Alaska on loaded Strom, of which ~3k 2up at 32psi I lowered pressure on the way to Dalton and left it there for the last 7k.

It only looks Heidi-like when worn, new one looks like this:[​IMG]
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lubed chain the night before but we did 1122mi yesterday, so yeah it needs some lube
    Jimkav, 75bronco and Dracula like this.
  7. Dracula

Oddometer:
    That's impressive mileage. I have been intrigued by them, and vacillating on spooning a set on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX. It's a heavy bike and I got most mileage (near 15k ) only once out of one rear K60, but found that is true only on long trips where I am conscious with my right wrist, not drag racing take off's, and with tire pressure kept at 42 psi. I use them 80/20 % street/off road and average about 8k out of rears, unless they get slashed or punctured too bad prematurely. The E07 might even handle better from what I read.
    LtDaninBoca and ErikMotoMan like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    As with any tire YMMV, and with E-07 the MMV depends on 2 factors: width of the rear rim and pressure. Counterintuitive but you need to run them at lower pressure, and it does better on wider rim. We don't have the other bike, it's in Canada at the moment (wrapped chain and punched crankcase) but the tire on it was wearing at much slower pace due to 0.5-1" wider rim.

Regardless larger contact patch = slower wear rate, I think I will run next one on my Wee at 30psi from kit go. This is the Dakar version not regular BTW

EDIT: and yeah I thought they were done at 9k, had appointment in Calgary to swap it but then end up putting another 3k. Last couple days I was checking at every gas stop for cords show up but it made home, hurray.
    Livestrom, Cal and Dracula like this.
  9. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    :-)Welcome home! I completely agree that a wider rim and lower pressure will make the tire last longer, as the wear is spread over a wider contact patch. Thanks for sharing. How on the heck did you do over 1100 miles in a day? That's 100 mph for 11 hours straight...not questioning your feat, just curious :clap
  10. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL. Or more likely ~60 mph for 18 hours-ish.
  11. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Nice trip and LD haul there :thumb But I don't really get the rationale for lowering the pressure to get better tire life.. Not sure about the E07 but with Heidi's these are stiff carcass tires, that almost can run flat (which I did the other day for several miles).
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    18:40 we started at 7:40 Central in Wisconsin and finished at 3:20 EST. It was all slab with speed limit 70 and cruising speed somewhat higher but rather within reasonable due to occasional LEO presence.

The weather was nice, and instead taking I-90 through Chicagoland and Indiana/Ohio/PA turnpikes we did I-39/74/70/79/68, which added about 80-90mi but avoided tolls and traffic for most part.

We did it 2up (my son's bike self-destruct in Saskatchewan) and if we did the paper work we could have gotten SS1000 certs from IBA, but honestly have no interest in becoming a member. We enjoy riding too much to limit ourselves to super-slab and penis measurement contest (no offense to IBR'ers). It is great if you like it but it is not for me.
    Jimkav, Jud, Jbrjbr21 and 2 others like this.
  13. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Low pressure means more heat and thus softer rubber that wears faster.
    The larger contact patch is an interesting concept but doesn't match my experience.
    It's very likely tire-specific.
    You need a tire with hard gum in center, like a pr4, or a tire whose sides really contact the ground well at low pressure to remove wear from center...

I don't know of a 60/40 or more off road tire with hard gum in center.
    There should be some, I just don't know.
    Anyone?
  14. Bigsmokindaddy

Bigsmokindaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's NOT bad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it really depends on the tire. The Mitas seems to be opposite of what most other tires are. It wasn't hot yesterday (mid-80s) but we had it at 70-80mph for hours with 2 people, ~100lbs payload at 32psi and it didn't generate much heat, the carcass is very stiff. It would have been different if we were in Southwest.

Most E-07 reports complain about center wear and lower pressure and/or wider rim seems to help with it as it flattens contact patch.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having owned a Strom and ridden with squared off tyres all I can say is that it must be a real b*t#h to ride around anything resembling a corner in that condition.
  17. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks square enough to park without using the kickstand
    slowfall and FABrauer like this.
  18. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say "to stop at traffic lights without putting a foot down" ... hehehe
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it wasn't too bad. Front E-07 is really squirrelly to the point that I was having issue with high speed shimmy for first 3k, so they level off not as bad as you'd think.

As I said tire was finished at 9k we were just waiting for cords to show up or try to get home, whatever comes first. Could not get anything in Canada because of 1st of July and when got to lower 48 would had to wait for Monday regardless.

I am honestly surprised how much rubber is there under knobs. Kinda makes me curious how close it's to cord now. But it is definitely in "kids don't try it at home" category.
  20. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Cut the tire in half and show everyone!