In my "backyard"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by xrjohnny, Dec 23, 2002.

1. xrjohnny

xrjohnny total poser, slow as heck, bad attitude

Oddometer:
    hello,

I found some roads in Montara, just south of SF on rt 1 here in norcal. some pix:
    www.velcamp.net/pix/daytrip3

cheers,

xrjohnny

ps. these roads have signs saying they were the property of sine conservancy are only passable with "written permission".....so I guess I was trespassing. I didnt' see any "no trespassing" signs or private land signs. I also stuck to pre-existing roads/trails and limited wheel spin. So my question: Was that f*cked up to do?:confused

Attached Files:

2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Okay, I give up. Which battery is that? I've searched through GGNRA seaforts, and can't find anything in Montara, except for a Nike launch site. :ear
  3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy XRJohnny,

Looks like you had a good trip, I like the photos of the forested trails.

Hey, when you get the time could you box up some of that "Sun shine" and send it my way? I'll pay shipping if it will last for over 30 days:):
  4. xrjohnny

Oddometer:
    re: battery.....just north of montara, about 2 miles (or 4 ish miles south of devils slide-- norcal landmark)

re: sunshine.....it all evens out....I get sun and work, you get time and rain...its been very "Oregon" here lately...only clear day in about 2 weeks...
  5. xrjohnny

Oddometer:
    re: battery.....just north of montara, about 2 miles (or 4 ish miles south of devils slide-- norcal landmark)

re: sunshine.....it all evens out....I get sun and work, you get time and rain...its been very "Oregon" here lately...only clear day in about 2 weeks...
  6. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    My old riding grounds.
    Sniff..brings a tear to the eye.
    Keep climbing to almost the ridgeline and the trail goes right. If you take it you will exit at El Granada. It is very steep and rutted in places.
    Santa
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    don't know the name of it, huh? any signage around there?
  8. xrjohnny

Oddometer:
    fish,

things are a bit slow at work today so I "goggled" this fort. some excerpts:

" I had attended a six day course at the Anti-Aircraft Training Center, Point Montara, California,"

"NX NAVAL RADIO DIRECTION-FINDER STATIONS--NX44 Point Montara, Calif"

"Armed Guards at these schools for a day or so of refresher training were given firing practice at anti-aircraft ranges at Lido Beach, New York; Shell Beach, Louisiana; Point Montara, California; and Pacific Beach, Washington."

Seems it was an Anti-Craft training center that ships visited in the 40s.

cheers,

xrjohnny

ps. y'all didnt' answer my question: is it a bad thing to do? that quasi-trespassing thing.
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Those are coastal defense batteries, built sometime between the civil war and WWII, I reckon.

Historical context here.

Something like this maybe...

[​IMG]

Oh well...sorry to hijack your thread john. looks like a fun ride...I'm gonna go out there and check it out myself. Personally, if I don't see any "no trespassing" signs, I'm good to go.
  10. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Great pics! Looks like a fun ride! Ostrich motto: No Gate No Problem. :nod
  11. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom

Oddometer:
    great shots mr. velcamp!
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    xrj,

You were riding in the coast range south of Pacifica? Just curious; I was lookin for riders who had or were interested in the area between pacifica and HWY 92.

mp
  13. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Cool pics. When I was a kid I used to play in those batteries (?), we called them "pillboxes", that line the coast here in San Diego. A friend of mine bought a house that was built over a pillbox. Its in the footing of the house, which is of course on a hill overlooking the ocean, and he is converting it into a wine cellar. Very cool indeed.
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    could that be the battery just off of Rt. 1, you know the one... along the stretch where there is no place to pull off south of Pacifica. Maybe not; that would take guts to pull off and head up there with all them people driving by.